Jump to content

Justin Fields calls his shot: "Had to let em' know. I'll be in the 4.3's by Pro Day.."


Recommended Posts

Just now, Lornoth said:

If anyone moves a QB up their rankings because of a 40 time they're evaluating the wrong position. 

If Wilson and Fields are neck and neck on some boards, I think this sort of speed (in an NFL landscape that is beginning to trend more toward dual-threat QBs) can be the type of thing that tips the scales in a sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Arkridge said:

If Wilson and Fields are neck and neck on some boards, I think this sort of speed (in an NFL landscape that is beginning to trend more toward dual-threat QBs) can be the type of thing that tips the scales in a sense

if wilson and fields are neck and neck on some boards then whoever put those boards together needs to give their heads a shake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

if wilson and fields are neck and neck on some boards then whoever put those boards together needs to give their heads a shake

Who do you prefer? I think they'll both be successful in the NFL fwiw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

If anyone moves a QB up their rankings because of a 40 time they're evaluating the wrong position. 

This.  Really any position for that matter.  There is a threshold you want certain positions to meet the minimum on, but rarely is the fastest WR/RB very good.  There are much more important things to look at than 40.  The 40 is a fan favorite as it’s just one of the most fun to watch and compare at the combine, but scouts and GMs aren’t changing their big board unless someone absolutely destroyed it or failed miserably, and even then it’s minimal, that speed normally shows on tape and is part of where they are ranked where they are already.  Biggest thing if they are caught off guard by a 40 time they will go back and watch more tape to see if it matches and determine which they think is correct, normally it’s the tape as it’s a larger sample size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rings said:

This.  Really any position for that matter.  There is a threshold you want certain positions to meet the minimum on, but rarely is the fastest WR/RB very good.  There are much more important things to look at than 40.  The 40 is a fan favorite as it’s just one of the most fun to watch and compare at the combine, but scouts and GMs aren’t changing their big board unless someone absolutely destroyed it or failed miserably, and even then it’s minimal, that speed normally shows on tape and is part of where they are ranked where they are already.  Biggest thing if they are caught off guard by a 40 time they will go back and watch more tape to see if it matches and determine which they think is correct, normally it’s the tape as it’s a larger sample size.

especially when they're running a straight line in their underwear. like, there's a bunch of qb's that have run faster 40's than lamar jackson but i dare someone to try telling me that he's not the fastest qb in the league, by far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

especially when they're running a straight line in their underwear. like, there's a bunch of qb's that have run faster 40's than lamar jackson but i dare someone to try telling me that he's not the fastest qb in the league, by far.

10 yard split matters more than 40.  How many QBs ran for 40 yards on one play last year during a game?  I’d be willing to bet 10-15 total for the season.  So less than 0.03% of the total plays ran last year a QBs 40 time was actually utilized.  Sounds like a deal breaker to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arkridge said:

If Wilson and Fields are neck and neck on some boards, I think this sort of speed (in an NFL landscape that is beginning to trend more toward dual-threat QBs) can be the type of thing that tips the scales in a sense

It may be trending that way, but the best QBs in the league are still good passers. Look at Mahomes and Watson. Both are dual threats, but can throw it well too. Same with Allen and Kyler. They can both throw it well too. Kyler was the only one of those guys to not finish in the top 5 of QB rating last year, but that's more of a gut feeling than anything. Really think he's a future MVP in the league. 

See other vets like RW3 that are dual threats and they can run too.

I'm not sold on Fields being able to throw it as well as some of those guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jidady said:

If I'm a scout, I'm genuinely alarmed that this is a priority for him.

Accentuate the positives... 

on the right team and with the right offense Fields will be good if not great, it's just not gonna be Atlanta I don't think 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have absolutely no dog in that QB hunt, but it’s always been totally moronic that people suddenly pushed Wilson ahead of Fields. There is no rational reason for it. 
 

Having said that, teams want to know you can stand in the pocket and complete passes, not whether you can scramble moderately better than another QB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...