Dante Fowler Accepts Paycut

55 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Reducing Grady to a "4 sack" DT is just so purposefully narrow-minded and just ignorant. Kinda makes everything else you say not worth listening to. I just cannot even fathom what you have to criticize Grady about. Often times he was the only player on the D line that looked like he gave a **** last year. Do you even watch the games? It takes like one defensive drive watching Grady to know that we would be so screwed without him.

Of all the really stupid off-season takes I've seen so far this year, this one is by far the dumbest. 

Do you really have the need to throw insults?  First thing Grady is a very good player.  When Fowler lined up on the same line as Donald, he produced. Floyd took Fowlers spot for Rams in 2020 and he produced.  Fowler not so much last year but we know he was injured so hopefully he bounces back. 

Do you understand that money is spongeable (money not spent somewhere can be spent somewhere else).  Say you trade Jarrett for a Late 1 rounder plus extra picks.  With that pick say you draft Daviyon Nixon to take Gradys spot for the next five years.  So you downgraded the DT position.  You now have an extra $20 mil/yr to improve the rest of your team.  Twenty million buys some decent safety play for sure doesn't it?  So if I had my choice I would take Daviyon Nixon and two good safeties.

8 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

Do you really have the need to throw insults?  First thing Grady is a very good player.  When Fowler lined up on the same line as Donald, he produced. Floyd took Fowlers spot for Rams in 2020 and he produced.  Fowler not so much last year but we know he was injured so hopefully he bounces back. 

Do you understand that money is spongeable (money not spent somewhere can be spent somewhere else).  Say you trade Jarrett for a Late 1 rounder plus extra picks.  With that pick say you draft Daviyon Nixon to take Gradys spot for the next five years.  So you downgraded the DT position.  You now have an extra $20 mil/yr to improve the rest of your team.  Twenty million buys some decent safety play for sure doesn't it?  So if I had my choice I would take Daviyon Nixon and two good safeties.

Oh come on man. You're trying too hard to prove a point.

It just doesn't make sense to roll the dice in the draft when you have a young and very productive and proven commodity at a position of huge huge value right now. DT has shifted to bring as valuable if not more valuable than DE. 

The only way I could see a team getting rid of a guy like Grady is if they were burning the team to the ground and rebuilding from scratch. We aunt doing that. The Arthurs have already stated that we're trying to win, not rebuild.

Grady is really really good. There are few better. You don't kick him off the team for something as fluid as cap space. We might never see another DT that's as good as Grady on the Falcons. He's that good.

27 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

Lol this sounds like a madden move. 

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Pay cut?  Or is it a restructure?  I cannot imagine anyone actually accepting less.  I have to admit I am pig ignorant to the ways of NFL contracts.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I dunno either.

I'd guess it's because his market value sunk after last year. He knew if he got cut, he may not even make as much as what he's now agreed to take.

Headlines say Pay Cut . And Over the Cap says we save 6.5 M this season vs the cap

7 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

How?  Never played Madden and have been a Falcons fan since 1981.  How is this trade, draft, and free agent signings not plausible?  TIA

It's not plausible when comparing apples to cantaloupes. Fowler and floyd excelled next to donald because of totally different defenses. They were stand up not hands in the ground rushers. They in turn helped donald get more sacks by forcing the qb to the interior. In our new scheme, i expect fowler to perform better, which in turn, will help an already elite grady. With a trade down, and not picking that overly hyped qb that you solicit, we will have quite a few picks to select some good resources  ( rb,de,cb,s,lg...and yes, even a qb). We don't need to trade an elite dt in his prime in order to clear cap space for expensive fa's.

3 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Pay cut?  Or is it a restructure?  I cannot imagine anyone actually accepting less.  I have to admit I am pig ignorant to the ways of NFL contracts.

Yes, a paycut usually happens when the team has told the player they will cut him, usually June 1st if unless he takes a lesser deal.  

26 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

People are overthinking this way too much.  Fowler didn’t produce and was likely on his way out if he didn’t take a pay cut.  Idk the contract details by any means but I’m guessing he will still make more taking the pay cut than he would have had he got cut and signed by another team.  Just my guess 

Exactly this. Fowler knew he wouldn't get more on the open market than he was going to make taking this pay cut.

2 hours ago, Someday soon said:

Let’s not forget the Rams averaged a top 3 coverage unit over the last three years while ours was bottom 10 over that time.  You really can’t compare anyone to Donald, he’s very much one of a kind and not DT is in the same realm as him.  Grady is in that next tier, but that tier is pretty far down from Donald.

The puzzling thing about all this is that the new regime waited until the final hour to barely get under the cap.

Some of the signings have definitely been overpays but a deal like the one the GB runningback just signed for with Detroit would have certainly served us well.

I'm not sure what's going on with TF but I hope he isn't overwhelmed. 

16 minutes ago, Rings said:

Let’s not forget the Rams averaged a top 3 coverage unit over the last three years while ours was bottom 10 over that time.  You really can’t compare anyone to Donald, he’s very much one of a kind and not DT is in the same realm as him.  Grady is in that next tier, but that tier is pretty far down from Donald.

Also, Fowler was playing under Wade Phillips as DC who can scheme an edge rush out of anybody. Morris is a pretty good DC but as a Monte Kiffin disciple he requires his DEs to do their work on their own. 

1 hour ago, itsryanwonder said:

He should be playing for free this year to make up for his efforts last year

Have you ever played a sport with a bad hamstring?? Did he sleep with your mom or something? You seems **** on him every chance you get. 

6 hours ago, Someday soon said:

Looks like your the one that's b***** and complaining because someone has a different opinion of how to build the team into a Super Bowl contender.  How many WAR would you say Grady ( we will get high draft picks for him) nets you compared to a McNeil or Barnwell?  Now justifying the 21 mil in 2021 and 24 mil in 2022 for a 4 sack DT is another thing.  I'm trying to look past the tip of my nose to see what the team can be in 2022 and beyond.

You have a legit POV.  I thought the same thing about it but didn’t post my thoughts because so many here freak out when you mention trading someone that’s been a good player. Grady would bring value - tom of draft capital -  and some cap relief but some Falcon fans are too sentimental with their emotional ties to these players.  Like you said - it’s just another opinion on how to build a SB contender. Some folks here think their opinion is the always the right one and only way to skin a cat.🤷‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

You have a legit POV.  I thought the same thing about it but didn’t post my thoughts because so many here freak out when you mention trading someone that’s been a good player. Grady would bring value - tom of draft capital -  and some cap relief but some Falcon fans are too sentimental with their emotional ties to these players.  Like you said - it’s just another opinion on how to build a SB contender. Some folks here think their opinion is the always the right one and only way to skin a cat.🤷‍♂️

Thanks.  Of all the things I might be stupid isn't one of them.  I guess we know why our players are Falcons for life.  Do the patriots keep throwing money at their players or do they sometimes think it's best to let someone else pay and make use of the picks/money elsewhere?  The $24 million dollar question for 2022.

5 hours ago, Someday soon said:

Lmao how many players on defense do the rams have vs our defense, fully healthy?? You can triple team Grady, and double fowler and we still wouldn't get home at times. You can't compare the two rotations AT ALL. 

1 hour ago, Someday soon said:

Thanks.  Of all the things I might be stupid isn't one of them.  I guess we know why our players are Falcons for life.  Do the patriots keep throwing money at their players or do they sometimes think it's best to let someone else pay and make use of the picks/money elsewhere?  The $24 million dollar question for 2022.

Great point bro.... but good luck 

21 hours ago, Someday soon said:

As far as the cap, I would of traded Jarrett to make the cap room. 

No

Now that we've got that settled; carry on.

Grady is still young and with the right talent and scheme around him; he is "that guy" you build an entire D around. You don't just go out thinking you can get another one, even with a high pick.

15 hours ago, stizz said:

The puzzling thing about all this is that the new regime waited until the final hour to barely get under the cap.

Some of the signings have definitely been overpays but a deal like the one the GB runningback just signed for with Detroit would have certainly served us well.

I'm not sure what's going on with TF but I hope he isn't overwhelmed. 

I think they are being disciplined and sticking to their script.