New Hood Ornament

New Hood Ornament  

157 members have voted

1. 1. If we cannot or do not trade down, which offensive weapon would be your choice if they were on the board at pick #4? NO TRADE DOWN SCENERIO

• Zach Wilson
    • Justin Fields
    • Trey Lance
    • Kyle Pitts
    • Jamaar Chase
    • None of the above, but offensive player
    • None of the above, but defensive player

QB doesn't make sense until you are ready to make the move. If he sits behind Ryan for 2-3 years you've lost half of his rookie deal to him sitting on the bench. Having the flexibility of that rookie deal is why the Seahawks and Chiefs have won with young QB's. The Rams getting to the Super Bowl was in large part because they could afford other talent on Goff's rookie deal.

At number 4, I’m all for the BPA that comes in to play on day 1. I know many want the QB of the future right now, but I’m of the belief that you use a low 1st round pick on a QB when you no longer have a franchise QB on the roster. More QBs will be leaving college (with just as much or more upside than Fields) when Ryan’s time is up in Atlanta, so I say get a new QB at that time. Yes, there is the argument that a new QB can study under Ryan for a couple of seasons, however, Ryan didn’t have or need that sort of scenario when he was a rookie, and he did just fine coming out of the gate. I think the Falcons will draft a QB this season, but I don’t believe it will be at number 4.

1 minute ago, Someday soon said:

Exactly where is it written in stone that a rookie QB would hold a clipboard for two or three years.  Maybe June 2nd, maybe game 8 Matt could be traded.  They will build as they see fit.

Not going to happen; this isn't Madden.

I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions.   Seriously.  Every time I make a choice I 2nd guess it and then want to pick someone else.   

It is extremely hard to pass on a potential QB of the future .. so I want to pick QB.   I see positives, negatives and risk with each of the 3 QB options that will likely be there at 4 but also feel like the highest ceiling guy (Lance) is too raw to take at 4.. and Fields/Wilson aren't likely to be happy to sit behind Ryan for a while.  So I hesitate. 

But then future proofing the offense for when Julio is inevitably no longer here while also making our offense stronger for THIS year with Chase or Pitts seems like a great idea so I lean toward them. 

But then again our defense is in way more need of help than our offense so I want to say no offensive players at 4 if we can't trade down and get more picks.  

Ultimately though, I think any of above would help us.. it is just a matter of how much and how soon.  

55 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions.   Seriously.  Every time I make a choice I 2nd guess it and then want to pick someone else.   

It is extremely hard to pass on a potential QB of the future .. so I want to pick QB.   I see positives, negatives and risk with each of the 3 QB options that will likely be there at 4 but also feel like the highest ceiling guy (Lance) is too raw to take at 4.. and Fields/Wilson aren't likely to be happy to sit behind Ryan for a while.  So I hesitate. 

But then future proofing the offense for when Julio is inevitably no longer here while also making our offense stronger for THIS year with Chase or Pitts seems like a great idea so I lean toward them. 

But then again our defense is in way more need of help than our offense so I want to say no offensive players at 4 if we can't trade down and get more picks.  

Ultimately though, I think any of above would help us.. it is just a matter of how much and how soon.  

I really, really want pitts, but even I accept that trade down is ultimately the right choice. We are changing schemes and lots of fits will be needed.

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I really, really want pitts, but even I accept that trade down is ultimately the right choice. We are changing schemes and lots of fits will be needed.

I think we could trade down a few picks and still get Pitts.   Not far, mind you, but I do think we could pick up some extra draft capital and still get Pitts.  

7 hours ago, hjerry said:

The disagreement comes from that assumption that any of these QBs would/could be our future 

Or that their substantially more likely to be successful than guys we could (hopefully) pick later next year or the year after. Guys forget that most of the NFL’s top QBs weren’t top 5 picks.

Depending on the moves the Falcs make in free agency my hope is the Falcs can draft Pitts and shore up the line in free agency. I just hate seeing another game changer go to another team. These other players like Parsons, Surtain may turn out to be good but Pitts seems to be a much more sure thing granted at a position that may be not the biggest need on the Falcs.

I am on the ropes about a Qb. Lance looks like he has terrific upside and Qb is the no1 position on a team. Can the Falcs survive another 2 to 3 yrs with Ryan. Also consider there are some other QBs drafted in the 3 and 4th rounds that might have some potential. As I have said on another thread 1/3 of these 1st rounders will bust, 1/3 be average or slightly above and 1/3 will play to their potential. Game changers are hard to find. I think Sewell, Slater, Pitts,Lawrence are the potential great players. Lance,Wilson,Fields have more questions. How much risk are you willing to take? Also if the Falcs miss out on Harris there are some other very good backs in this draft. Normally I'd say build the trenches but a player like Pitts doesn't come around often.

Edited by Falconsailorman

There's so much more sizzle with the offensive guys in this draft and it's simple for me to get carried away wanting a new hood ornament, but what we really need is under the hood.

Since Ryan, Ridley, Julio and Hurst are still on the roster -- Sewell would be my choice if forced to go offense at  4.

8 hours ago, falken said:

QB doesn't make sense until you are ready to make the move. If he sits behind Ryan for 2-3 years you've lost half of his rookie deal to him sitting on the bench. Having the flexibility of that rookie deal is why the Seahawks and Chiefs have won with young QB's. The Rams getting to the Super Bowl was in large part because they could afford other talent on Goff's rookie deal.

When is the last time a first round QB sat 3 years? I will give even ask when the last time a guy sat 2 years? 

Its an investment in the future if the Falcons pick a QB with their top pick. 

53 minutes ago, Bobby Biskie said:

TEs don’t win Super Bowls. Tony G was a generational TE talent and made it to 1 Conference Championship Game

no single player wins super bowls.  Having a top tight end cant hurt.  Travis Kelce has been to two, Kittle took his team to one, Gronk has been a big part in several.

7 hours ago, alexhead97 said:

Not going to happen; this isn't Madden.

exactly, trading him would be financial disaster, might as well just straight up cut him. Of course the JF bromance guys don't care about that, they just want their crush on the team, they don't care how bad it would hurt the team in every other way. On top of he just isn't that good and has bust written all over him

:ninja:

10 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

If you vote "none of the above, but offensive/defensive" player, I'd like to hear your thoughts on who

As unsexy as it is, I see more value in Slater or Sewell.  Need to keep Matt upright and create some run lanes.  Chase and Pitts (not a great blocker) are great players but we are already heavy in the hands department.  We still got Julio (assuming he can stay on the field) , Calvin, Russ and Hayden and trying to run the ball more...I don't know how you can utilize that many weapons effectively.   Drafting a QB is punting our draft pick to 2022/2023.  None of the guys on D are good value at 4 imo.