Jump to content

Atlanta Falcons should welcome Alex Smith with open arms


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just draft a dam QB. You're not accomplishing anything with Alex Smith. Another scenario of wasting FA money that we don't have.

I was really agreeing with this article until I saw this line. This line is complete garbage because Ryan's play the last 2 years has not warranted getting benched. Not even close to it. But then I sa

Would actually have no issue with it. Smith has always been solid when healthy

30 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

ive heard of worse ideas.  wouldnt be a bad backup plan.  we take mr's availability for granted.

Ya know, you're right. Most people don't understand that we are 1 missed blitz block from being without a qb at all. And to expect one of the highly touted prospects to step in and keep the ball moving is really a ludicrous thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don't care for a seasoned high priced back up.  I think it is a waste of money.  Especially, with the Falcons NOT being a piece or two away from a Super Bowl.  If Matt goes down, I would rather just tank and get a high draft pick.  The chances of winning in the playoffs with a backup is slim to none.  So why spend all that money on a backup?  I don't mind having a young backup with some promise that could take over if Matt goes down and get some experience, but a high priced backup is not for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I don’t see the low risk, high reward w/ Trubisky...he has proven he sucks and is an inaccurate passer. People seem to be hanging on to his draft status, which is also why he will get overpaid. Even $3-5M for what Trubisky has shown is the opposite of low risk high reward...it’s wasting limited cap space to bring in a bust. What makes people think he could develop into a quality starter suddenly in year 5-6 of his career?

If he was drafted in round 3-4 would his name be mentioned? Maybe it would and I am completely wrong, wouldn’t be the first time.
 

I mean like I said low risk. It just takes a little money. If Trubisky is a project AS wants to work on because he thinks he can get more out of him then we should make it happen. It doesn’t require a draft pick so if things don’t work out you still have all your picks and if they do like they did with Tannehill you have your QB too. 2 year deal heavy on incentives and low on guaranteed money. Easy to keep easy to cut. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Williamb said:

Ya know, you're right. Most people don't understand that we are 1 missed blitz block from being without a qb at all. And to expect one of the highly touted prospects to step in and keep the ball moving is really a ludicrous thought.

Re: last years Chicago game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Falcon You said:

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don't care for a seasoned high priced back up.  I think it is a waste of money.  Especially, with the Falcons NOT being a piece or two away from a Super Bowl.  If Matt goes down, I would rather just tank and get a high draft pick.  The chances of winning in the playoffs with a backup is slim to none.  So why spend all that money on a backup?  I don't mind having a young backup with some promise that could take over if Matt goes down and get some experience, but a high priced backup is not for me.

It's happened more times than you're probably aware of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Williamb said:

Ya know, you're right. Most people don't understand that we are 1 missed blitz block from being without a qb at all. And to expect one of the highly touted prospects to step in and keep the ball moving is really a ludicrous thought.

We've been playing Russian roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber for quite awhile

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It's happened more times than you're probably aware of.

I hear you, but rather take my chances with a high draft pick than relying on some aging QB to take me deep into the playoffs.  Unless, my team has what it takes right now.  Than I would be willing to risk the money on that aging QB.  The Falcons are not ready to win a SB.  They are likely going to cut a large number of players because of cap and new regime.  I can see us winning 8 or 9 games this year and missing the playoffs.  I, also, can see us win more than 10 games next year.  I just think spending money to get someone like Alex Smith to backup Matt is not the best move for this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 1:20 AM, ATLskinjob said:

I think he's too close to being good enough to start to be a good fit on the team. I'm assuming he won't be one of the cheaper backup QB options out there. 

He makes much more sense on a team with a younger and unproven QB with a little extra money to throw around on a good vet backup.

This ^^  Totally agree.  We're in a cap crunch and are going to struggle to fill out the roster as it is.. so spending much on a backup QB isn't likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone bring in Alex Smith to the ATL? That would just be a bonehead move if ever I heard one!! Team is over the cap. Needs to get younger at QB. Will have to play some dang good football to even sniff the playoffs anyway with all the moving parts going and coming. Why spend the time or money to bring in Alex Smith? Put away your crack pipes please.

Edited by high impact
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, high impact said:

Why would anyone bring in Alex Smith to the ATL? That would just be a bonehead move if ever I heard one!! Team is over the cap. Needs to get younger at QB. Will have to play some dang good football to even sniff the playoffs anyway with all the moving parts going and coming. Why spend the time or money to bring in Alex Smith? Put away your crack pipes please.

In another year, it would be a savvy move.  Cash strapped?  Not so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

In another year, it would be a savvy move.  Cash strapped?  Not so much.

Cash strapped and still need a lot of other positions to even field a complete team. People need to come back to reality. I would never invest in an older QB when money is needed for a lot of other positions and the team is just trying to become competitive not in the running for a SB. Great time to get young players and maybe get lucky and find some studs. Instead of bringing in some players that have seen the prime years and will be on the down side of playing. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, AUTiger7222 said:

It ruined an otherwise solid article and idea. Alex Smith is the perfect type of guy you want as a backup QB. Lots of NFL experience who will play well if needed.

I don't think he accepts a backup role though. I think a team like the Saints where they don't seem 110% fully sold on Hill or Winston where Smith could have the opportunity to win a starting spot would be a good fit.

Another place that could be a good fit for him is a team like the Panthers where he could be the bridge to whichever QB they end up with out of this draft. I wouldn't wanr to see him end up landing at either place.

LOL! I love how you suggest that he would help the Saints and Panthers, our rivals. Thanks a bunch. 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...