Atlanta Falcons should welcome Alex Smith with open arms

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just draft a dam QB. You're not accomplishing anything with Alex Smith. Another scenario of wasting FA money that we don't have.

I was really agreeing with this article until I saw this line. This line is complete garbage because Ryan's play the last 2 years has not warranted getting benched. Not even close to it. But then I sa

Would actually have no issue with it. Smith has always been solid when healthy

I don't see us carrying 3 QBs honestly, so the whole "he can mentor the successor" thing probably isn't going to happen.  Most likely, we draft the successor somewhere between 2022 and 2025 or so and he just steps in and starts or sits out 1 season to allow Ryan to retire.

If we draft a late round QB, he'll be headed to the roster without Alex Smith if he's good enough, or to the practice squad with Smith as the backup if he isn't.  If we draft a Jones, Trask, Mond type in the 2nd to 4th rounds, that's the backup I'd wager.

33 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I think Denver would be a good fit as well if they decide to pull the plug on the Lock experiment. He could make them a playoff contender. 

Yep. But I'm not quite sure the Broncos are ready to cut bait with Drew Lock just yet. If they did it would reflect that much worse on Elway and his track record with QBs. Remember they traded up to draft Paxton Lynch one year and they dumped him after only 2 or 3 years to draft Lock in the 2nd round (believe that was a trade up too). It's true that Lock has been inconsistent but I think that's just as much a part of the Broncos overall inconsistencies as it is Lock's. I think Lock has had enough really good showings that I think you ride with him another year at least. He's also still only 24 years old.

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If he will do it at a reasonable price then **** yes. I cant think of a #2 in the league as good as Alex Smith. Granted I don't know many #2 QBs off hand.

Here's some of the QBs who will be available in free agency this offseason:

• Robert Griffin III (BAL)
  • Matt Barkley (BUF)
  • Mitch Trubisky (CHI)
  • Andy Dalton (DAL)
  • Joe Flacco (DEN)
  • A.J. McCarron (HOU)
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick (MIA)
  • Sean Mannion (MIN)
  • Jacoby Brissett (IND)
  • Mike Glennon (JAX)
  • Tyrod Taylor (LAC)
  • Blake Bortles (LAR)
  • Brian Hoyer (NE)
  • Cam Newton (NE)
  • Jameis Winston (NO)
  • Colt McCoy (NYG)
  • Nate Sudfeld (PHI)
  • Geno Smith (SEA)
  • C.J. Beathard (SF)
  • Nick Mullens (SF)
  • Blaine Gabbert (TB)
  • Ryan Griffin (TB)
  • Alex Smith (WAS)
  • Kyle Allen (WAS)

If we're going to spend the money on a FA QB, I'd rather it be someone younger like Kyle Allen or even Mitch Trubisky, who might actually be able to learn something from Matt Ryan.

If we really want to go the veteran route, then in addition to Alex Smith I also like the idea of Andy Dalton or Mike Glennon.

My favorite player on the list if Ryan Fitzpatrick, but Fitzmagic is so good he deserves a chance to start somewhere (and so does Alex Smith, IMO).

4 hours ago, The Smart One said:

The problem is Smith’s new 100% is only healthyish. His leg is busted and requires special support. I think Trubisky is the right choice here. Low risk high reward reclamation project. If he works out we don’t have to draft a new QB. If not no harm done. 

I don’t see the low risk, high reward w/ Trubisky...he has proven he sucks and is an inaccurate passer. People seem to be hanging on to his draft status, which is also why he will get overpaid. Even $3-5M for what Trubisky has shown is the opposite of low risk high reward...it’s wasting limited cap space to bring in a bust. What makes people think he could develop into a quality starter suddenly in year 5-6 of his career?

If he was drafted in round 3-4 would his name be mentioned? Maybe it would and I am completely wrong, wouldn’t be the first time.

29 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I don’t see the low risk, high reward w/ Trubisky...he has proven he sucks and is an inaccurate passer. People seem to be hanging on to his draft status, which is also why he will get overpaid. Even $3-5M for what Trubisky has shown is the opposite of low risk high reward...it’s wasting limited cap space to bring in a bust. What makes people think he could develop into a quality starter suddenly in year 5-6 of his career?

If he was drafted in round 3-4 would his name be mentioned? Maybe it would and I am completely wrong, wouldn’t be the first time.

This is exactly why I've been surprised that his name has came up so much. Dude is a strong arm. Nothing special

On 3/9/2021 at 5:49 AM, Knight of God said:

He'll be even healthier as a backup, plus he'll have more time to train a young backup. 

Yeah, this point is so valid. He’s almost in that Steve Deberg category of backup. Guy who had success as a starter, is smart but at that point where starting isn’t really an option, Deberg trained many a young pup

It will be interesting to see if we sign a vet QB before the draft, because the team has historically only carried 2 QBs...new regime though, so history may be irrelevant.

that said if we do sign a formidable vet before the draft makes it harder to see a QB at 4...drafting one that high you have to assume they would be the primary backup, especially on a cap strapped team.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:40 AM, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Just draft a dam QB. You're not accomplishing anything with Alex Smith. Another scenario of wasting FA money that we don't have.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Draft a young guy and fill the QB room with veterans. Matt is an MVP who is known as a guy who is durable and makes arm fitness an offseason priority. Alex is a guy who has overcome adversity and generally manages to produce results that are superior to his talent. I think it would be a good environment. Alex isn't a guy who is going to be looking for a big payday. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:03 AM, AUTiger7222 said:

I was really agreeing with this article until I saw this line. This line is complete garbage because Ryan's play the last 2 years has not warranted getting benched. Not even close to it. But then I saw where this from and it all made sense.

I'm with you. With all due respect to Smith, Ryan owns Smith like Pulp Fiction Bring out the Gimp style as a starting QB.