Been doing a lot of mock drafts lately and the more I look at things the more I realize if we stay at 4 I think there are only 2 players we can really consider taking in that spot. 

Option 1 is Sewell. He’s the best OL in the draft and would allow us to move on from Matthews and his large cap hit in the near future. For this year Sewell would probably play LG but he’d be a massive upgrade to the line. 

Option 2 is Pitts. The only reason I can think of for not drafting Pitts here is that he’s a TE but honestly that just doesn’t sound like a really good reason. The dude is a mismatch on anyone and would make our offense unstoppable. Picture the Falcons coming out in a 2 WR 2 TE set with Julio Ridley Pitts and Hurst out there with someone like Javonte Williams in the backfield. As a defense what are you supposed to do? 

I’d be good either way but I’m really thinking Pitts should be the pick. Lots of good OL around the draft. Very few TEs much less good ones. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It starts up front. Take Sewell and we could beast with Gazoo and Eric Saubert at TE.

The cool thing this year, we have no idea.  I think we will know far more after FA.

Anyone saying take Patrick Surtain at 4 doesnt watch football. At all.   

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It starts up front. Take Sewell and we could beast with Gazoo and Eric Saubert at TE.

It does start up front, but Sewell has some technique flaws that might be a problem at the next level.  Yes, he could start at LG, but we can find a very good LG on day two, or finally give Gono the opportunity to stay in one position and actually get better.

I would prefer Pitts because he is uncommonly good.  I looked at a few minutes of tape on him and he reminds me of Tony Gonzalez....he is that good.

3 hours ago, The Smart One said:

Been doing a lot of mock drafts lately and the more I look at things the more I realize if we stay at 4 I think there are only 2 players we can really consider taking in that spot. 

Option 1 is Sewell. He’s the best OL in the draft and would allow us to move on from Matthews and his large cap hit in the near future. For this year Sewell would probably play LG but he’d be a massive upgrade to the line. 

Option 2 is Pitts. The only reason I can think of for not drafting Pitts here is that he’s a TE but honestly that just doesn’t sound like a really good reason. The dude is a mismatch on anyone and would make our offense unstoppable. Picture the Falcons coming out in a 2 WR 2 TE set with Julio Ridley Pitts and Hurst out there with someone like Javonte Williams in the backfield. As a defense what are you supposed to do? 

I’d be good either way but I’m really thinking Pitts should be the pick. Lots of good OL around the draft. Very few TEs much less good ones. 

If not those two I just take Surtain there. I’d rather trade back, but I wouldn’t complain 

52 minutes ago, etherdome said:

It does start up front, but Sewell has some technique flaws that might be a problem at the next level.  Yes, he could start at LG, but we can find a very good LG on day two, or finally give Gono the opportunity to stay in one position and actually get better.

I would prefer Pitts because he is uncommonly good.  I looked at a few minutes of tape on him and he reminds me of Tony Gonzalez....he is that good.

You gotta watch some game tape on Sewell because he is just as uncommonly good.  Someone that big with movement ability like he has, even in a league full of athletes, is not a thing that we'll find late in the draft.  He could have a Tristan Wirfs type of impact on our offense

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Gono or a second round guard have no technique issues? Sounds like there’s a new Pitts or bust camp and you’re in it. Not quite as bad as the QB or bust camp but getting there.

4 hours ago, The Smart One said:

Love both players.  

33 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Y’all not okay with taking a QB at 4. But a TE which we DONT need is the better option? Lmao 

Why don't we need a te? And why not if he's bpa? I'm a trade back guy, but if no bites to that apple, then the te would have a more immediate impact on the team. Especially one with his abilities. We only have one on roster right now.

31 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Gono or a second round guard have no technique issues? Sounds like there’s a new Pitts or bust camp and you’re in it. Not quite as bad as the QB or bust camp but getting there.

I see what you’re saying to a degree 70, but I am trying to get out of the old regime’s mindset in the draft. And if anyone is happy about our new regime change it’s got to be you brother.

If TF is true to his word, we may see some picks that go against traditional thinking.

We would also be running more two TE sets which bodes well for a pick like this for several reasons. 
As many have stated, Pitts talent level is incredible & in the mold of a Kelce or a Kittle which propels him into huge WR range. This fills a void for the future, not only for the JJ departure but also for the MR departure. A TE can be a new, young QB’s best friend along with a running game.

He’s very much a “best player” pick that could help transform our team in the future. I see both he & Sewell as transformational pieces that fill future voids. 

31 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah, this Pitts train rolled into the station in the last couple weeks and half the board seems to be jumping onboard. 😄

I think Pitts is a top tier talent, and he'll probably have a solid career if he becomes a competent blocker. Having said that, is he a better prospect than Sewell, Farley/Surtain, or Parsons, to toss out a few other top tier talents? I think not. Not significantly at any rate. They are all equally talented, with equal chance at success in my book. Where he'd stand out is, if we traded down to around 20 and he's still there. Then you make the case that he's head and shoulders BPA.

If all things are relatively equal, you take the guy who can positively impact your team the most from day one. Even if Pitts is above and beyond, what's his impact? A point a game? How is that going to make this team a SB champion when we haven't fielded a competent defense in how many years? 

A difference maker on defense who can erase a weapon on an opponent's offense, or someone along the OL who makes running Smith's offense much easier can impact our win column much more than one more mouth to feed at receiver. 

4 hours ago, The Smart One said:

Dude I like your post, but your alt name troubles me lol.  These sort of names always seem to be the trolls lmao!  
I’m on board this thread, but I’m keeping a close eye on your ***.  😝

I’d throw Chase in there as another true BPA option. I don’t think there is any question that the BPA at 4 will be Sewell, Pitts, or Chase. None of those positions are huge needs, but the players are studs and could allow us to move on from Matthews, Julio, Ridley, or Hurst in future years, helping out the cap.

if it’s me, I’m picking Sewell or trading back, but reasonable minds can differ.

6 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Dude I like your post, but your alt name troubles me lol.  These sort of names always seem to be the trolls lmao!  
I’m on board this thread, but I’m keeping a close eye on your ***.  😝

Oh no trolling here. My name was based on the idea of rational thought and discussion during a time where there was a lot of “James Stone is the best because I said so” type discussion on the board. But I can see where the name could rub people the wrong way. Honestly though I’m more of a lurker than a poster. 

4 minutes ago, belmont4213 said:

I’d throw Chase in there as another true BPA option. I don’t think there is any question that the BPA at 4 will be Sewell, Pitts, or Chase. None of those positions are huge needs, but the players are studs and could allow us to move on from Matthews, Julio, Ridley, or Hurst in future years, helping out the cap.

if it’s me, I’m picking Sewell or trading back, but reasonable minds can differ.

The potential at four is huge.  So many avenues for TF to explore.

1 minute ago, The Smart One said:

Oh no trolling here. My name was based on the idea of rational thought and discussion during a time where there was a lot of “James Stone is the best because I said so” type discussion on the board. But I can see where the name could rub people the wrong way. Honestly though I’m more of a lurker than a poster. 

Those were weird discussions.  I took a couple years away from the boards about that time....🤣

8 minutes ago, belmont4213 said:

I think that’s part of my hang up on Sewell is I’d almost rather just trade back and get Slater and more picks. OT and WR seem to be really deep in this class.