John Cominsky year 3

On 3/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, kiwifalcon said:

I keep expectations very level headed when I’m looking at guys like Cominsky.If I’m honest I see a JAG.Prove me wrong if he earns a 2nd contract by having a breakout year ok but for I’m not seeing enough to have that confidence.

Yep, we've all had a Kerry Meier moment.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

He ain’t on that level Cominsky has made a play here and there Meier didn’t see the field for the most part.

Actually I like what I've seen from him. Just not sure what his ceiling is...like has he already reached it.

I like the potential of Davidson, Jarrett, and Cominsky in a 3 man front with Davison there to rotate and plug holes. Starting to like the idea of Fowler and Ojulari at OLB with Foye and Deion in the middle. 

On 3/8/2021 at 10:27 AM, JDaveG said:

I hope he develops into a monster mostly because I want everyone on our team to be a monster.  But I think his absolute ceiling is Kroy Bierman.  I don't think he's going to suddenly take the next step next year and be disruptive penetrator.  He's a contributor.  Tuotti-Mariner to me is a much better pass rush prospect.

Some of that is how they've been used respectively, but I sure don't see Cominsky being an interior guy at a high level.  Maybe they could work him into a 3- or 5-tech role, but he was always one of those 4-3 under 'tweener types to me, and if we aren't using that system, Pees will have to figure out where he fits in and how valuable he'll be.  Maybe Pees takes a look and slots him at a 5-tech DE position in a 3-4 base defense and he doesn't have to get to the QB every play, so he can just do his job and let the linebackers eat.

In all honesty, this team could use a Kroy Bierman badly.  Had a solid career.  For a developmental prospect to have a Kroy Bierman type career would be a slam dunk in my opinion.

Everyone can't be JJ Watt, or Aaron Donald.  That said, if JTM also turns into a Bierman type, I'd take that too.

I do think it's telling in the recent Arthur Smith video he mentioned Comminsky by name among some of the defensive guys he's excited about.  Could be coachspeak, but he was the only one mentioned that was much more of a rotational piece in the past (if i'm remembering correctly).

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

In all honesty, this team could use a Kroy Bierman badly.  Had a solid career.  For a developmental prospect to have a Kroy Bierman type career would be a slam dunk in my opinion.

Everyone can't be JJ Watt, or Aaron Donald.  That said, if JTM also turns into a Bierman type, I'd take that too.

I do think it's telling in the recent Arthur Smith video he mentioned Comminsky by name among some of the defensive guys he's excited about.  Could be coachspeak, but he was the only one mentioned that was much more of a rotational piece in the past (if i'm remembering correctly).

Cominsky is quite an athlete.  He has a decent ceiling if he can put it together.  I hope we do a better job if coaching up our projects, or recognize when to cut bait.

6 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

Agree 100%.  Bierman got a bad rap because he was asked to be a starter and produce.  As a role player, he was a really, really good one.

10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

They play different positions. Cominsky played on the interior and JTM was Edge guy on the outside. Cominsky outplayed JTM in pass rush pressures and run stops playing inside. Better comparison is Allen Bailey snd Cominsky was much better than Bailey. 
Cominsky performance in 2020 was underrated. 

Good post, wasn't Comninsky given some inside & outside time in camp & in games though?  He certainly has the ability & I could swear I've seen him moved around on occasion.  

I think some here just speak out from the standpoint of who they prefer, like or dislike & then they go on to say things that support those feelings. It's OK to like BOTH! These are two different players who both have one thing in common.  They have upside & yearn to get more playing time & be properly developed.  

I think both guys lost snaps to guys who were simply adequate for our team.  Both of them displayed that talent & upside in preseason where they consistently showed dominant traits & yet somehow our buddy DQ, the Dline whisperer, proved to be nothing more than a motivational buzz-word speaker.  He literally never gave our young guys the proper foundation of teaching & opportunities to fulfill their roles on our team.  Someone already mentioned these players on an earlier post... Senat comes to mind.  

For me, the NFL is filled with veteran role players who some coaches are afraid to remove from a rotation because they are gutless & buy into that "right of passage" bull crap mentality.  All this does is squelch real competition & builds resentment with young players who get stowed away at the bottom of the depth chart knowing full well they can flourish & take those jobs.  DQ was nothing but a yes man who wanted to be liked & it cost us.  

AS seems to be the opposite sort of coach who holds people accountable.  He's not the people-pleaser that DQ is & that's exactly what this team needs.  How the heck are we supposed to get better as a team unless the best players have a chance to make an impact on Sundays?  You line John Cominsky & JTM up in practice during the week & if AS sees that they are consistently flashing over the others, then you can bet they'll be rewarded.  It seems like a no brainer but I truly don't believe DQ fell short in this capacity.

Impossible to tell because of how bad the coaching was the last two years. Maybe he could have broken out but the lack of understanding by defensive players concerning basic on the field stuff had shown they were way under coached. 

On 3/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, JDaveG said:

I hope he develops into a monster mostly because I want everyone on our team to be a monster.  But I think his absolute ceiling is Kroy Bierman.  I don't think he's going to suddenly take the next step next year and be disruptive penetrator.  He's a contributor.  Tuotti-Mariner to me is a much better pass rush prospect.

Some of that is how they've been used respectively, but I sure don't see Cominsky being an interior guy at a high level.  Maybe they could work him into a 3- or 5-tech role, but he was always one of those 4-3 under 'tweener types to me, and if we aren't using that system, Pees will have to figure out where he fits in and how valuable he'll be.  Maybe Pees takes a look and slots him at a 5-tech DE position in a 3-4 base defense and he doesn't have to get to the QB every play, so he can just do his job and let the linebackers eat.

Cominsky played 80% of his snaps at 3-5 tech. Ironically, he played better in that role than outside edge guy. IMO he is more effective as 3 tech attacking the B gap as part of rotation with Grady. 

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Cominsky is quite an athlete.  He has a decent ceiling if he can put it together.  I hope we do a better job if coaching up our projects, or recognize when to cut bait.

Honestly, I think as the seat gets hotter you are less inclined to take any risks.  I think Cominsky was a sacrificial lamb in that respect.

I'm not going to stake my livelihood on an unknown quantity when my back is against the wall.  I think a change of scenery will allow the cream to rise to the top.  Coaches now are looking at a player without preconceived notions/bias and not be blinded by knowing these guys on a more personal level or be holding on to how they've seen these guys in the past.  Rather, what can this guy do right now.

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

Honestly, I think as the seat gets hotter you are less inclined to take any risks.  I think Cominsky was a sacrificial lamb in that respect.

I'm not going to stake my livelihood on an unknown quantity when my back is against the wall.  I think a change of scenery will allow the cream to rise to the top.  Coaches now are looking at a player without preconceived notions/bias and not be blinded by knowing these guys on a more personal level or be holding on to how they've seen these guys in the past.  Rather, what can this guy do right now.

That's it exactly.  Quinn and his crew knew they were one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.  So they weren't interested in the future, just the here and now.  Thus, no Ollison, Senat, Cominsky etc really playing a bigger role.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

That's it exactly.  Quinn and his crew knew they were one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.  So they weren't interested in the future, just the here and now.  This, no Ollison, Senat, Cominsky etc really playing a bigger role.

Also, the secondary was so dam* bad that anyone playing on the Dline is hard to evaluate.  Once the secondary started playing better, the rest of the defense looked better as well.

If you have such a strong weakness in one area, everyone else looks terrible as a result.  Defense is complimentary, a secondary can look absolutely putrid with a terrible defensive line and the other way around.  If we can at least have them hold the ball a second longer, everyone will have more opportunities as a result.

But things were so broken last year on defense that it's nearly impossible to point the finger at any one player or unit.  Data shows virtually everyone sucked, but you have to read between the lines and evaluate not based only on the results.

Cominsky is tough as a run stuffer and as an Edge setter.  Still not very adept at getting to the QB but he could turn the corner.  He no less than a decent rotational piece.  Id like him to develop into a legit starting 3-4 DE playing the 4 and 5 tech.  Lets hope this is the year.