Deep2Julio's horrible offseason plan.

The falcons are in an undesireable situation with both their cap and current QB situation. Like it or not, once those floodgates are opened it's hard to shut them. I'm sure Ryan has some strong opinions about hearing from multiple sources that the Falcons are going to move on from him sooner than later.
My offseason plan does not replace Ryan, nor does it draft our QB of the future. It is however based on our draft position, the needs of teams drafting below us, and trading down. I don't see a realistic way to free up enough cap in order to sign free agents this season, so I believe we should take advantage of our #4 overall pick and leverage some of the immense talent in this top heavy draft and use it to our advantage to fill out our roster with young talent. All numbers below have been taken from OverTheCap and the Points value for picks has been taken from DraftTek. If there are any mistakes in my cap numbers please feel free to correct them as I'm nowhere near a Cap-Wizard. Feel free to flame away!

1.  Restructure both Grady Jarrett and Deion Jones - Per OTC, this should save us about 6,750,000 with Grade, and 5,500,000 from Jones

(I'd also advise extending grady in 2022)

2. Trade Dante Fowler Jr. for a later round pick. - according to OTC, this should save us around 9,000,000 in cap

3. Cut James Carpenter

Per OTC, we would be sitting around $6,163,910 in cap space

4. Draft 

1st Rd

1 - Trevor Lawrence - WR 

2 - Zach Wilson - QB

3- (i've seen some discussion on Miami trading down, but I think they'll get a WR to pair with their young QB) Devonta Smith - WR

4. PHI - From ATL (Trades 6th overall, Pick 69) - Jamar Chase WR - PHI believes CIN is ready to move on from AJ Green gets a bonafide #1 WR to pair with Hurtz

5. Penei Sewell - OL

6. DEN - FROM ATL (9th , 40th, 110th) - Justin Fields - QB

7. DET - Micah Parsons - LB

8. Car - Mac Jones QB

9. LAC - FROM ATL - (13, 77) - Kyle Pitts TE

10. DAL - Christian Derrisaw - OL

11. NYG - Jaylen Waddle - WR

12. SF - Caleb Fairley - CB

13. ATL - Patrick Surtain II - CB

This leaves the falcons with picks 35,40(DEN), 68, 69(PHI),77(LAC), 104,110(Den), 145, 185 to help fill out the roster

5. JUN 1st - Cut Jake Matthews (potentially)

If I decide to Mock out the rest of the draft for myself, I'll post the picks I think the Falcons will take.  I understand this is ridiculously falcons only-trade heavy, but with these trades, they wind up at some critical picks where teams would need to leapfrog others for that particular selection. (Or so I think)

What do you think? 

Edited by Deep2Julio

I would do flips on the trade scenarios if they were to happen. All those 2nd and 3rd rounders would help us tremendously.

With that said, if Lance is on the board at 13, I'd take him. That's decent value for a guy with that sort of upside. There are several corners who will be 2nd rounders that could do a great job (Samuel, Melifonwu, Adebo, Williams, etc.).

16 minutes ago, djbrough said:

I would do flips on the trade scenarios if they were to happen. All those 2nd and 3rd rounders would help us tremendously.

With that said, if Lance is on the board at 13, I'd take him. That's decent value for a guy with that sort of upside. There are several corners who will be 2nd rounders that could do a great job (Samuel, Melifonwu, Adebo, Williams, etc.).

Stay away from Lance, bro. I got a bad feeling about that one. Give me Jones, Trask or Mond later on in the draft than first round.

13 minutes ago, djbrough said:

Out of anybody this draft, I am the least sold on Trey Lance. I want to like him, but it's hard to like him as a 1st round QB. I haven't seen him have to go through reads, or make throws into tight windows. Nearly every tape I've watched on him has had receivers open with multiple steps on the DBs. I can't blame him for that, but it raises some red flags about how he'll translate to the NFL level where there aren't as many opportunities like that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

With Sewell, Fields  and Chase on the board, I want more than pick# 69

Strictly going by the points board over at Drafttek. Not going to speculate on a team leveraging their future on one of these players at this time.

Though I do personally believe if one of the Big name WR's is off the board, Phi would have no choice but to offer more than just #69 for that trade.

Edited by Deep2Julio

4 hours ago, Deep2Julio said:

The falcons are in an undesireable situation with both their cap and current QB situation. Like it or not, once those floodgates are opened it's hard to shut them. I'm sure Ryan has some strong opinions about hearing from multiple sources that the Falcons are going to move on from him sooner than later.
My offseason plan does not replace Ryan, nor does it draft our QB of the future. It is however based on our draft position, the needs of teams drafting below us, and trading down. I don't see a realistic way to free up enough cap in order to sign free agents this season, so I believe we should take advantage of our #4 overall pick and leverage some of the immense talent in this top heavy draft and use it to our advantage to fill out our roster with young talent. All numbers below have been taken from OverTheCap and the Points value for picks has been taken from DraftTek. If there are any mistakes in my cap numbers please feel free to correct them as I'm nowhere near a Cap-Wizard. Feel free to flame away!

1.  Restructure both Grady Jarrett and Deion Jones - Per OTC, this should save us about 6,750,000 with Grade, and 5,500,000 from Jones

(I'd also advise extending grady in 2022)

2. Trade Dante Fowler Jr. for a later round pick. - according to OTC, this should save us around 9,000,000 in cap

3. Cut James Carpenter

Per OTC, we would be sitting around $6,163,910 in cap space

4. Draft 

1st Rd

1 - Trevor Lawrence - WR 

2 - Zach Wilson - QB

3- (i've seen some discussion on Miami trading down, but I think they'll get a WR to pair with their young QB) Devonta Smith - WR

4. PHI - From ATL (Trades 6th overall, Pick 69) - Jamar Chase WR - PHI believes CIN is ready to move on from AJ Green gets a bonafide #1 WR to pair with Hurtz

5. Penei Sewell - OL

6. DEN - FROM ATL (9th , 40th, 110th) - Justin Fields - QB

7. DET - Micah Parsons - LB

8. Car - Mac Jones QB

9. LAC - FROM ATL - (13, 77) - Kyle Pitts TE

10. DAL - Christian Derrisaw - OL

11. NYG - Jaylen Waddle - WR

12. SF - Caleb Fairley - CB

13. ATL - Patrick Surtain II - CB

This leaves the falcons with picks 35,40(DEN), 68, 69(PHI),77(LAC), 104,110(Den), 145, 185 to help fill out the roster

5. JUN 1st - Cut Jake Matthews (potentially)

If I decide to Mock out the rest of the draft for myself, I'll post the picks I think the Falcons will take.  I understand this is ridiculously falcons only-trade heavy, but with these trades, they wind up at some critical picks where teams would need to leapfrog others for that particular selection. (Or so I think)

What do you think? 

I like the idea of trading down and hoarding picks, especially moving down in small increments... but the value in these trades aren’t there!   Can’t be as simple as 1800=1600+200 this year because of the value still on the board. With who’s left on that board, I’d say a 2k point return value is a minimum!   IMO