Why all the Fields hate and Wilson love🤔

7 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Bingo. The real question is why he isn't mocked to go first overall in the draft.  Imagine if Shanahan gets that kind of talent out in San Francisco.

Because nobody thinks hes the best qb prospect?  Alot of people don't think hes even the second best prospect...

I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan goes after Mac Jones

Edited by abcranford2

8 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Bingo. The real question is why he isn't mocked to go first overall in the draft.  Imagine if Shanahan gets that kind of talent out in San Francisco.

cause Lawrence has been hyped since his first game.. he is good don't get me wrong.. but I feel Fields will be better if he gets in ATL with Smith as our Coach..

Just now, Fernando C. said:

cause Lawrence has been hyped since his first game.. he is good don't get me wrong.. but I feel Fields will be better if he gets in ATL with Smith as our Coach..

I just haven't seen anything from Fields that makes me think hes gonna be successful in the NFL

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

I think that the flavor of the week does happen but I think in this case people just watched the tape. Also the fact that Ohio State QBs have all failed recently doesnt help Fields either

Dont think thats a fare assessment. Alot of Clemson DBs are/we're trash in the pro's but AJ Terrell ended that narrative so far. Thats almost like saying all UGA QBs should be good because Stafford made it. He was an original commit of UGA. Ohio State was a after thought/ sloppy 2nd that he chose to tranfer too. He is different from those before him.

Edited by lju713

3 hours ago, Williamb said:

What are you talking about? Decisions about what? Jake ran the team the way the paid adult professional told him to, and did it well that year. Who is a snotnosed college freshman to tell the hc that he is being misused? The chances he had to throw the ball, fields tucked and ran. I'm telling you, it wasn't there his freshman year. And btw, how well did that transfer work out for eason?

My issue with fields is that for pro purposes, I think he's overhyped. Now, my personal reasons are that he has always been hyped and has always been basically guaranteed an nfl contract. He could have stayed at uga(see team, state, fan loyalty) and still ended up in the nfl. But, he decided osu was personally better for him. I want a player on our team who chooses the success of the team over their own individual accomplishments. Play like h*** for your team and the individual accolades will come.

Doing that gets you underdrafted. Self preservation is the ONLY preservation. These kids wanna go pro and chase their dreams. If he were my son I would've supported a transfer too. **** our current QB is here due to a Fromm/Eason situation at USC...and im glad he's here

7 hours ago, Williamb said:

I understand this point, but an 18y/o kid in his first season of college ball just doesn't have the experience nor where withal to make those decisions. He definitely has the talent to have replaced fromm in his second year though. As the year progressed, kirby would have been looking for a spark.

An 18 y/o is an adult. They're responsible for choosing the college they will attend, so I see no problem. There are a lot of guys that went to UGA and wasted their careers. Fields was just being proactive.

4 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

An 18 y/o is an adult. They're responsible for choosing the college they will attend, so I see no problem. There are a lot of guys that went to UGA and wasted their careers. Fields was just being proactive.

I don't believe his career would have been wasted.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:20 AM, lju713 said:

Doing that gets you underdrafted. Self preservation is the ONLY preservation. These kids wanna go pro and chase their dreams. If he were my son I would've supported a transfer too. **** our current QB is here due to a Fromm/Eason situation at USC...and im glad he's here

And you know good and well that Kirby promised BOTH Eason and Fields that he was gonna help develop them for the pros. He sold them on that knowing fully that it was never his intent. He was gonna hand the ball off to Chubb and Michel and play good defense. In other words, he only needed a game manager.

Georgia fans rewrote history and pretend that Eason couldn't beat out Fromm knowing fully well that Eason beat out Fromm and was the starter before he got hurt. Never saw the field again as a starter. Then Fields family, I'm sure encouraged by Kirby, signs with Georgia without looking at how Eason was done down there.

9 hours ago, blknoble357 said:

You dont live in Georgia so you arent aware of the full story

Well, I do live in Georgia, but like I said at the beginning of my post... I dont know or care about college football.  Georgia football is like the Atlanta Dream to me, I know they exist and that there is a portion of the state where they are relevant, but it aint at my house.

I HAVE been a Falcon STH since 1997 though, so I do know the pro game where NFL means Not for Long... so I am just wondering how is this kid supposed to compete against Ryan when he chose not to compete against Fromm.

But yeah, I dont think anyone is aware of the FULL story.

10 hours ago, g-dawg said:

There could be a book written on this topic. As a UGA alum, supporter of the program and also a Harrison HS dad to two kids there and about to have a third - I will give you my take.

First, you have to go back in time to when Justin entered the program.   Kirby was entering his 3rd season as HC, coming off a tough Natty loss that the Dawgs could have won.

The rookie Fromm was a game manager for most of his Freshman year but rose to a higher level in the RoseBowl win over Oklahoma and played well for 3 quarters in the Natty.

Now enter Fields....

So even with Fields as the highest ranked UGA recruit in the modern era, the job was solidly Fromm’s heading into the 2018 season.   Fields was a true Freshman and had to adapt/learn a new offense, adjust to college life and try and beat out a QB coming off a Natty - there was NO CHANCE that Fields was gonna start out as the starting QB coming out of camp.  That wasn’t going to happen.

Now, should Fields have received playing time and mop-up duty in September and more time as season went on? Absolutely. Kirby was asked early in year what the plan was for having two high profile QBs and he famously said, “The plan is - ‘there is no plan’ “  - and that was the truth - there wasn’t.     Now Fields was caught on a hot Mic after the South Carolina blowout saying to another player complimenting his garbage minutes “yeah I handed the ball off great” - said sarcastically.   He was not happy about the lack of opportunities as backup and Chaney and Kirby seemed to just want Justin to do mop-up and hand ball off.   My personal opinion is that between some of the prominent boosters and Kirby - they didn’t want a QB controversy and handled Fields to assure that didn’t happen.

The few opportunities he got, Fields performed.  The only extended time he got, he dominated in UMASS game.  After Fromm’s poor LSU game, there was a bye week before Gators game and Fields was supposed to be in line for more time - but then there was some behind the scenes stuff and player squabbles and booster stuff - of which I don’t claim to know all details- but there was some drama and believe that and Fields not playing at all in that game - that was the beginning of the end. - meanwhile Dabo had a plan for Trevor Lawrence - and he got more time as season went on and ended up leading Clemson to the Natty.   I am sure that grated somewhat on Fields as well as they grew up 20 miles from each other and competed in off-season and Elite 11.

There were likely promises made and broken from Kirby to Fields and his dad as well around the Florida game.   

I am not saying Fields was blameless - think he had developed a little of a bitter attitude and his lack of playing time - but his situation was handled poorly by Kirby and staff and I am sure if you administered truth serum to Kirby he would admit that he handled it poorly.

Fields was 2nd runner-up in Heisman the very next year as a true Sophmore and first year starter.

I watched the kid play 10 times in two years at Harrison.   He is uber talented. As good as he is right now, he is nowhere near his limit.   He is a more physical and bigger DeShaun Watson - very accurate with the ball - almost 70% completion rate and insanely low interception percentage as well.  Has speed, athleticism.

I hope the Falcons either take him or he goes before they pick - I have already seen my favorite college team blow the Justin Fields pick - would hate to see my favorite NFL team do the same thing.

Yo GDawg ... much respect on this rundown.

I think it gives me a better insight of the inner workings of DawgNation and a kid who was probably influenced that things were going to be one way and found them to be another.

I do give him credit for making a choice, I think coming into the pros, I personally would respect it more if he had battled it out, cause it seems eventually his talent wouldve probably won the day, but I have heard that talent isnt always the deciding factor at Georgia... so there's that.

As a pro prospect, he probably has all the measurables and a lot of the intangibles, but if he is coming in at #4, he has to be coming in to battle #2.  I want him battling every single day no matter what anybody tells him.  I will support him if he becomes a Falcon, but man he better be bringing it cause Ryan aint giving up nothin.

9 hours ago, jidady said:

Realistically, kids start getting this training in sixth or seventh grade now. It's pretty hard to reach the NFL without that sort of preteen training.

So, yes.

Sixth or seventh grade?  That's a little surprising to me; I thought it would be earlier.  I know it's different with baseball but I feel like i'm getting a late start with my son and he's five.

42 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

And you know good and well that Kirby promised BOTH Eason and Fields that he was gonna help develop them for the pros. He sold them on that knowing fully that it was never his intent. He was gonna hand the ball off to Chubb and Michel and play good defense. In other words, he only needed a game manager. Fromm fit that bill AND because @g-dawg confirmed ( I was looking in that direction), the boosters wanted Fromm to start. That's why Kirby wouldn't bench Fromm after the Eason injury.

Georgia fans rewrote history and pretend that Eason couldn't beat out Fromm knowing fully well that Eason beat out Fromm and was the starter before he got hurt. Never saw the field again as a starter. Then Fields family, I'm sure encouraged by Kirby, signs with Georgia without looking at how Eason was done down there.

He would have learned and developed more at Georgia.  

10 hours ago, g-dawg said:

There could be a book written on this topic. As a UGA alum, supporter of the program and also a Harrison HS dad to two kids there and about to have a third - I will give you my take.

First, you have to go back in time to when Justin entered the program.   Kirby was entering his 3rd season as HC, coming off a tough Natty loss that the Dawgs could have won.

The rookie Fromm was a game manager for most of his Freshman year but rose to a higher level in the RoseBowl win over Oklahoma and played well for 3 quarters in the Natty.

Now enter Fields....

So even with Fields as the highest ranked UGA recruit in the modern era, the job was solidly Fromm’s heading into the 2018 season.   Fields was a true Freshman and had to adapt/learn a new offense, adjust to college life and try and beat out a QB coming off a Natty - there was NO CHANCE that Fields was gonna start out as the starting QB coming out of camp.  That wasn’t going to happen.

Now, should Fields have received playing time and mop-up duty in September and more time as season went on? Absolutely. Kirby was asked early in year what the plan was for having two high profile QBs and he famously said, “The plan is - ‘there is no plan’ “  - and that was the truth - there wasn’t.     Now Fields was caught on a hot Mic after the South Carolina blowout saying to another player complimenting his garbage minutes “yeah I handed the ball off great” - said sarcastically.   He was not happy about the lack of opportunities as backup and Chaney and Kirby seemed to just want Justin to do mop-up and hand ball off.   My personal opinion is that between some of the prominent boosters and Kirby - they didn’t want a QB controversy and handled Fields to assure that didn’t happen.

The few opportunities he got, Fields performed.  The only extended time he got, he dominated in UMASS game.  After Fromm’s poor LSU game, there was a bye week before Gators game and Fields was supposed to be in line for more time - but then there was some behind the scenes stuff and player squabbles and booster stuff - of which I don’t claim to know all details- but there was some drama and believe that and Fields not playing at all in that game - that was the beginning of the end. - meanwhile Dabo had a plan for Trevor Lawrence - and he got more time as season went on and ended up leading Clemson to the Natty.   I am sure that grated somewhat on Fields as well as they grew up 20 miles from each other and competed in off-season and Elite 11.

There were likely promises made and broken from Kirby to Fields and his dad as well around the Florida game.   

I am not saying Fields was blameless - think he had developed a little of a bitter attitude and his lack of playing time - but his situation was handled poorly by Kirby and staff and I am sure if you administered truth serum to Kirby he would admit that he handled it poorly.

Fields was 2nd runner-up in Heisman the very next year as a true Sophmore and first year starter.

I watched the kid play 10 times in two years at Harrison.   He is uber talented. As good as he is right now, he is nowhere near his limit.   He is a more physical and bigger DeShaun Watson - very accurate with the ball - almost 70% completion rate and insanely low interception percentage as well.  Has speed, athleticism.

I hope the Falcons either take him or he goes before they pick - I have already seen my favorite college team blow the Justin Fields pick - would hate to see my favorite NFL team do the same thing.

This was my understanding as well. And as a non-UGA fan, it was maddening to me to see them put him in to hand it off and run options. At least give the kid a scaled back playbook. It was all politics for Kirby. He wasn’t making football decisions. He was trying to keep people happy. 

I don’t want any QB at 4. I’ve been clear about that. But if he’s there and we take him, I’ll disagree with the decision, but I won’t be mad about it. 

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

This was my understanding as well. And as a non-UGA fan, it was maddening to me to see them put him in to hand it off and run options. At least give the kid a scaled back playbook. It was all politics for Kirby. He wasn’t making football decisions. He was trying to keep people happy. 

I don’t want any QB at 4. I’ve been clear about that. But if he’s there and we take him, I’ll disagree with the decision, but I won’t be mad about it. 

most of the UGA fanbase dislikes Fields because Fromm was there boy and because family lawyer for Fields that got the transfer waiver (to OSU) by using the incident with UGA baseball player drunk screaming at one of the football games  "put the N***g*r in"  (to not have to wait a year due to transfer rules).     Most of the fanbase doesn't like Fields for that reason.  Some small segment of fanbase may have other reasons but that wouldn't be worthy of discussion.

Why do people constantly bring up coastal carolina for wilson yet I don't see anybody ever say anything about fields 12-27 for  114 yards and two ints with zero tds game against northwestern? Yes, technically ohio state won that game, but fields did everything he could to lose that game.

I don't want either qb so dont try to claim I'm some wilson homer.

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

most of the UGA fanbase dislikes Fields because Fromm was there boy and because the lawyer that got the waiver used the UGA baseball player "put the N***g*r in" as an excuse to get the waiver to not wait a week.     most of the fanbase doesn't like Fields for that reason.  Some may have other reasons but that wouldn't be worthy of discussion.

Holy cow man, this is all new to me.  I really don't think 90% of us are into this Fields vs Wilson thingy as much as you think.  Personally, I was not a big fan of Fromm & yes I do consider myself a UGA fan.  Fromm was fine if everything was smooth but fell apart during games where the competition became fierce & the heat was on.  But Fromm drove me nuts most of the time.  Fields should have been given the starting job imho.  To let him walk to Ohio State chapped my ***.  I have a few Ohio State fan friends & to this day they give me **** about Fields.  Having said all this, when fields did get in, he didn't really seize the moments & that's on him.  

I have Fields & Wilson about the same, but all things considered, whether folks want to hear it or not, Wilson has the edge for very obvious reasons that I have stated before.  How it pans out ultimately in the NFL is a guessing game that will have a lot to do with the team, staff & situation they are put into.  

I'll say something raw now.  I guarantee you, and nobody will admit to it, that this **** is racial for some fkg idiots. For me personally, I will get behind my QB & be fair about things.  The MR hate is unhealthy sometimes so I come to his defense when the clownshow gets out of hand.  It will always come with the territory when discussing the QB situation.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Why do people constantly bring up coastal carolina for wilson yet I don't see anybody ever say anything about fields 12-27 for  114 yards and two ints with zero tds game against northwestern? Yes, technically ohio state won that game, but fields did everything he could to lose that game.

I don't want either qb so dont try to claim I'm some wilson homer.

Or the 3 INTs against Indiana. Also Coastal Carolina wasn’t ranked far off of those teams, (final rankings IND #11, CC #12, NW #14).

yet folks continue label the game vs CC as a much bigger embarrassment than the IND, NW games for Fields, despite Wilson playing better vs CC than Fields did vs IND and NW. (240/1/1/63%)

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Now Fields was caught on a hot Mic after the South Carolina blowout saying to another player complimenting his garbage minutes “yeah I handed the ball off great” - said sarcastically.

Pretty bad misquote there.. but considering the source 🤣