Why all the Fields hate and Wilson love🤔

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

What if I told you over the past 3 years, Alabama has had 1 WR ranked in the top 100 247 composite rankings compared to 7 that Ohio State has had over that same stretch? 

If we include the last 4 years to include 2017, Alabama had 5 that fit that criteria, and only 1 of those was on this year’s team.  Ohio State had 8 that fit that criteria with more than half being on the team still. 

Pretty much Ohio State has recruited better at the WR position than Alabama has in recent years. And arguably their best WR was a 3 star recruit. 

The gap between Alabama and Ohio State’s WR talent isn’t that big. If anything, Ohio State has a deeper group than Alabama. 

tell me what WR's at Ohio State have been better in last 5 years than:

Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith.    

I'll wait.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, don't lump us all together. Some of us aren't fans of either.

I dont get it. I hear people say he is Vick 2.0 or he is a system QB. Anybody from metro Atlanta would know the kids journey and development. He has worked with QB guru's since the 8th grade, same as

This must be selective reading. There's been plenty of love thrown at Fields on these boards and plenty of hate thrown at Wilson

4 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Right he didn’t transfer that is true..point is if fields was there his *** would just now be playing AFTER fields left just like with tua just like with hurts…it would’ve been no different 

but Alabama didn't want him because we had Tua who most everybody considered to be better than Fields.  Then Mac comes in a plays better than Tua...

7 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

No they didn’t have a more talented WR group than bama ..Ohio st core was good but it wasn’t bama level you’re trying to down play it for the sake of mediocre Mac 

All you have to do is watch the tape to see which qb benefited the most from having wide open receivers...it ain't Mac

13 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Right he didn’t transfer that is true..point is if fields was there his *** would just now be playing AFTER fields left just like with tua just like with hurts…it would’ve been no different 

Most people thought Bryce Young was gonna win the job too.

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

tell me what WR's at Ohio State have been better in last 5 years than:

Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith.    

I'll wait.

What you are saying is that Alabama develops WRs better. Not that they have more talent. When Alabama gets a stud in, they capitalize on it. When Ohio State does, maybe they do or maybe they don’t. Seems to me like that’s on the coaches at Ohio State more than anything else. 

Just now, tl;dr said:

What you are saying is that Alabama develops WRs better. Not that they have more talent. When Alabama gets a stud in, they capitalize on it. When Ohio State does, maybe they do or maybe they don’t. Seems to me like that’s on the coaches at Ohio State more than anything else. 

Agree. I won’t say OSU receivers are better in the NFL than Bama, but they recruit as high of rated players. Bama has become WR U anymore, which is crazy because they were always known for lining up the hogs and pounding the rock.

3 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Seems they haven't really done a good job of developing qbs either...

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

A lot of that has to do with the scheme they run and the level of competition they are playing.  If they can just line up and beat the guy across from them week after week what are they really learning?

24 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

No they didn’t have a more talented WR group than bama ..Ohio st core was good but it wasn’t bama level you’re trying to down play it for the sake of mediocre Mac 

Mac was playing with Devonta Smith, John Metchie and Slade Bolden as his top 3 guys most of the year. Give Alabama that Fleming kid Fields had, and he is Alabama’s number 2 once Waddle goes down. Metchie is good, but is he Ohio State’s number 2 WR? Probably not. And Slade Bolden? WTH is a Slade Bolden.

And once Smitty went out in the title game, Mac didn’t miss a beat. He was still on point. Idk why it’s so hard for people to just watch Mac play and realize he’s just good. The dude has the best single season passer rating in CFB history lmao. And he did it most of the year without Waddle and against an all P5 schedule. He was making throws every week that no one else in CFB was consistently making. Don’t believe me? Just watch the film. There were no Indiana or Northwestern letdowns for Mac. His worst game of his career was against arguably the best defense in the country in 2019, and guess what... he still had a very good game. 

If Mac had this kind of season for like A&M, the narrative would be so different. But because it’s Alabama, it gets downplayed

6 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Agree. I won’t say OSU receivers are better in the NFL than Bama, but they recruit as high of rated players. Bama has become WR U anymore, which is crazy because they were always known for lining up the hogs and pounding the rock.

When Alabama gets a stud at WR, they don’t miss. Ohio State recruits BETTER at WR than arguably anyone in the country and they don’t get the results Alabama does. Literally the ratings are out there lol.

Its not about how they do in the NFL, it’s about how well they recruit at WR. No one does it better than Ohio State  

7 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Mac was playing with Devonta Smith, John Metchie and Slade Bolden as his top 3 guys most of the year. Give Alabama that Fleming kid Fields had, and he is Alabama’s number 2 once Waddle goes down. Metchie is good, but is he Ohio State’s number 2 WR? Probably not. And Slade Bolden? WTH is a Slade Bolden.

And once Smitty went out in the title game, Mac didn’t miss a beat. He was still on point. Idk why it’s so hard for people to just watch Mac play and realize he’s just good. The dude has the best single season passer rating in CFB history lmao. And he did it most of the year without Waddle and against an all P5 schedule. He was making throws every week that no one else in CFB was consistently making. Don’t believe me? Just watch the film. There were no Indiana or Northwestern letdowns for Mac. His worst game of his career was against arguably the best defense in the country in 2019, and guess what... he still had a very good game. 

If Mac had this kind of season for like A&M, the narrative would be so different. But because it’s Alabama, it gets downplayed

Yes Julian Fleming should be real good. He was the top WR recruit in the nation and too 5 overall recruit if I remember correctly. 

He is local to me (played against our HS) and just was a man amongst boys at the HS level. Still pains me that he chose OSU over PSU. His parents are actually PSU alumn, but he chose OSU because he felt it gave him a better shot of being a high NFL draft pick...

4 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

A lot of that has to do with the scheme they run and the level of competition they are playing.  If they can just line up and beat the guy across from them week after week what are they really learning?

Sark was so good for Alabama for real. The reason Alabama got dumped on in the 2018 title game is because they just tried to put talent everyone they played. Georgia nearly got them and then Clemson could match them in talent and out scheme them. 

That’s pretty much what Ohio State has been able to do for years, and that’s why they really don’t win many big games out of conference. Some of that is on the rest of their conference for being on like a sun belt level though 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Yes Fleming should be REAL good. He is local to me and just was a man amongst boys. Still pains me that he chose OSU over PSU. Is parents are actually PSU alumn, but he chose OSU because he felt it gave him a better shot of being a high NFL pick...

And it might. He would have played a good bit for Alabama had he been there. Metchie wouldn’t have played near as much. 

Man Penn State needs to find something out though. Franklin seems to always lose every big game he’s in. He won that one against Ohio State in 16 and then won the Big 10, but since then, it’s been nothing. Honestly, the Big 10 since 16 has been very bad. There is talk about the ACC being bad, but I really think the big 10 is worse from top to bottom 

14 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

no it's not - rankings out of HS aren't fool-proof.   Those guys I listed WERE better - much better.

5 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

And honestly I think Waddle is overrated as a receiver.  He is definitely a play maker and is probably a top return man but he's not a true receiver.

Watching the tape Mac is consistently throwing the ball way before players break and he's dead accurate.  He's pump faking defenders out of position.  All the little subtle things he does extremely well.  He reminds me of a taller Drew Brees.  Watching Ohio St games you just have receivers running around wide open.  Fields doesn't have to throw the ball in anticipation, he can just wait until someone is wide open.  When your receivers are that much better than the guys the are lining up against what are they really learning?

And it might. He would have played a good bit for Alabama had he been there. Metchie wouldn’t have played near as much. 

Man Penn State needs to find something out though. Franklin seems to always lose every big game he’s in. He won that one against Ohio State in 16 and then won the Big 10, but since then, it’s been nothing. Honestly, the Big 10 since 16 has been very bad. There is talk about the ACC being bad, but I really think the big 10 is worse from top to bottom 

I agree, PSU is struggling. I like Franklin as a recruiter but not as a coach. Competing w OSU kills their recruiting, and some players just haven’t performed (mainly Sean Cliffords regression) 

the Big 10 looked like it was on the rise, but now looks like trash, especially Penn State. They looked lost without Parsons and Freiermuth. They do seem to have found their mark in recruiting WRs and TEs though recently. They had a good recruiting class this year, I am hoping better days are on the horizon.

1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

And honestly I think Waddle is overrated as a receiver.  He is definitely a play maker and is probably a top return man but he's not a true receiver.

Watching the tape Mac is consistently throwing the ball way before players break and he's dead accurate.  He's pump faking defenders out of position.  All the little subtle things he does extremely well.  He reminds me of a taller Drew Brees.  Watching Ohio St games you just have receivers running around wide open.  Fields doesn't have to throw the ball in anticipation, he can just wait until someone is wide open.  When your receivers are that much better than the guys the are lining up against what are they really learning?

Crazy thing is it looks like most draft pundits are ranking and/or mocking Waddle above Smith. 

1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

Unfortunately I can’t put that all on Ohio state. The Big 10 just isn’t very good at all

Sark was so good for Alabama for real. The reason Alabama got dumped on in the 2018 title game is because they just tried to put talent everyone they played. Georgia nearly got them and then Clemson could match them in talent and out scheme them. 

That’s pretty much what Ohio State has been able to do for years, and that’s why they really don’t win many big games out of conference. Some of that is on the rest of their conference for being on like a sun belt level though 

I put alot of that game on Tua.  Tua got too over confident and cocky in his arm.  He wanted to throw the homerun ball and Clemson baited him in to it and it resulted in a couple of interceptions.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

no it's not - rankings out of HS aren't fool-proof.   Those guys I listed WERE better - much better.

But they weren’t better until they got into Alabama’s system. Once they got into Alabama’s system they got better.

With as many high level guys as OSU gets (and make no mistake, they get more high level WR recruits than anyone), why aren’t more of them panning out? If it’s just the occasional WR that’s not panning out, that’s one thing, but it’s most of their recruits. Are they just that bad at evaluating talent or have all of their guys just not been as good as they thought they would be? It seems unlikely that even the 4 star WRs Alabama gets (Cooper, Waddle, Ruggs, Smith) would all consistently outperform these 5 stars Ohio State gets. Is Alabama just that much better at picking our talent than at WR than Ohio State? Or are they being developed better? 

I’ll give you the answer: it’s some of both 

3 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I put alot of that game on Tua.  Tua got too over confident and cocky in his arm.  He wanted to throw the homerun ball and Clemson baited him in to it and it resulted in a couple of interceptions.

I think a lot of it is on the Alabama defense. They weren’t that good in 2018 and they finally got exposed for it. And Alabama had no red zone offensive plan. They couldn’t just our talent anyone anymore in that game. In hindsight, Locksley was a very average coordinator. I was hoping he could get Maryland rolling a bit, but that remains to be seen 

7 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

But they weren’t better until they got into Alabama’s system. Once they got into Alabama’s system they got better.

With as many high level guys as OSU gets (and make no mistake, they get more high level WR recruits than anyone), why aren’t more of them panning out? If it’s just the occasional WR that’s not panning out, that’s one thing, but it’s most of their recruits. Are they just that bad at evaluating talent or have all of their guys just not been as good as they thought they would be? It seems unlikely that even the 4 star WRs Alabama gets (Cooper, Waddle, Ruggs, Smith) would all consistently outperform these 5 stars Ohio State gets. Is Alabama just that much better at picking our talent than at WR than Ohio State? Or are they being developed better? 

I’ll give you the answer: it’s some of both 

And like I said, when you are constantly having to play against top talent you have to develop.  When you actually have to run really precise routes in order to get open, you are naturally going to start running better routes.  When you can go to Ohio St and just run down the field wide open, you are going to continue doing that.  Watching OSU most of their routes are just crossing routes where the guy runs faster than the guy covering him across the field or go/post routes where the guy runs faster than the guy covering him down the field.

Edited by abcranford2
2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I think a lot of it is on the Alabama defense. They weren’t that good in 2018 and they finally got exposed for it. And Alabama had no red zone offensive plan. They couldn’t just our talent anyone anymore in that game. In hindsight, Locksley was a very average coordinator. I was hoping he could get Maryland rolling a bit, but that remains to be seen 

We had Lawrence rattled early in that game and after Tua's pick he settled and that was it.  Then Tua threw another one and it got worse.  But yea, we relied on the homerun ball way too much that year, it just worked until Clemson.  Clemson started stacking the box like they were blitzing then dropped everyone into coverage instead just waiting on the deep ball. 

Edited by abcranford2