How the Falcons can fix their salary cap in 4 steps. (Espn+)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish folks would spend more time learning how things work and less time complaining about those things they don't understand lol

Projected cap space: Minus-$15.8 million Key free agents: RB Todd Gurley, C Alex Mack, K Younghoe Koo, S Keanu Neal, S Damontae Kazee 1. Do something about QB Matt Ryan. Remember how Roethli

I counted 3 steps. Also, re-signing grady should be on there. Extending him could easily free up 10 mil this year.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

I have to admit I agree with this stance.  Politics and COVID have played a real role in the perceptions people have of many things.  In all honesty, I've tuned out of sports largely.  I started hitting my hobbies hard again, and it's been amazing.

I think whatever your beliefs on the response to the last 18 months, undeniably, things may never truly be the same again.  Frankly, the demeaning of American culture has been off putting to me.  

I'm not a race fan, but enjoyed going to Darlington several years ago.  The place was freaking packed and it was exciting.  My sister in law works for a race team and said that the tracks are half empty now.  They alienated their fan base in large part by being downright disrespectful to the normal everyday fan.  They even have a derogatory name, EDF.  The everyday fan bought shirts and went to races.  Now, it's corporate and the rules changes on the track have really turned many off the sport.

Things change brother.  And for me football has changed forever.  I enjoy coming on these boards to talk to you all.  The actual game play has been bad enough to where I felt like I wasted half my weekend.  The glaring disrespect for our country on many of these sports platforms has also made me less inclined to watch.

I'm with you, man. Glad I asked for your opinion.  What you wrote is so good and right-on.... I wish I had written it myself.

Watched The President speak yesterday.  Better than any football game.  

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

True, you are hoping that the salary cap grows in response.  Playing the odds if you will.  And it can work, but add the COVID issue and it blows it all out.

The networks are where the NFL get the vast majority of thier money from.   With ratings declining, the networks will not pay as much.   Player pay -has- to go down.   

The fans that have left, well... I don't know how the NFL gets them back.

17 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Good to know. The team isn't cap doomed like this forum seems to think. 

That's encouraging news, but TATF is just mirroring what many national sports "experts" and publications have been saying about the Falcons cap situation for months. TATF isn't anywhere near as clueless as its critics would have you believe.

7 hours ago, Summerhill said:

At least a few of you get it. 2016 is over. It’s time to move on And welcome a new Falcons team and stop trying to build around the team that peaked 5 years ago. Year 1 of a new coach and GM is time to take our medicine, clean up the books, and hope for better after. 

But some can’t get off the breast feeder and won’t let go the KS days. You’re right 2016 is over done with and it’s time to build that new Falcons team with or without some of those aging stars with fat contracts. 
It’s a new era in the ATL .....let it unfold the way TF and AS sees it. 

5 hours ago, egoprime II said:

The networks are where the NFL get the vast majority of thier money from.   With ratings declining, the networks will not pay as much.   Player pay -has- to go down.   

The fans that have left, well... I don't know how the NFL gets them back.

I don’t know man I just heard a report that the new network deals could close as early as next week and almost all of them for more than their current deals.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

But some can’t get off the breast feeder and won’t let go the KS days. You’re right 2016 is over done with and it’s time to build that new Falcons team with or without some of those aging stars with fat contracts. 
It’s a new era in the ATL .....let it unfold the way TF and AS sees it. 

it is a new era, one with hopefully a competent play caller and creative scheming.  Thats all i really want.

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don’t know man I just heard a report that the new network deals could close as early as next week and almost all of them for more than their current deals.

Good info if true, thing is.... the media is on a tear when it come to lying.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:07 PM, Snafu said:

And then you are spreading that bonus out for the remaining years of his contract, thereby increasing his cap hits in the following years....AGAIN, kicking the can down the road.

I do like Matthews. He's a solid LT, but the resources he's eating for the next couple of years is ridiculous. If the league decides to split the revenue loss over the next 3 years, and we restructure Jake again, it's gonna hurt next year.

Not really. Jake is the 9th highest cap hit for LTs in the NFL. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/left-tackle/

Hes’ the fourth highest contract value, but when you look at the list behind him he’s been durable, reliable and way above average. He’s important at the one of the most important position. “Kicking” the can on a guy that has 3 years on his contract remaining, and is only 29 is not a dumb idea. 

For one: He could play out the rest of the contract extension at LT. Second, let’s say that we draft Sewell and kick him inside, he’d be actually payed proper compensation for a LG or even RT. 

Jake isn’t a problem.

20 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

The pro bowl is a joke if that’s what you’re looking at.  Jake is a solid player.  Maybe slightly over paid but solid LTs are hard to come by.

Yup. I don’t think that he’s overpaid considering his reliability, durability and ability to play multiple positions and schemes. A pretty good deal for a premium position.

Just now, MSalmon said:

Thank you, Dr.

Glad to see your posts are keeping it rational.

Folks on this mb are killing me with the dumbness 😂 

Honestly brother, I am not as football savvy as most on these boards, and I am not a college sports guy at all.  I'm not impassioned one way or the other.  However, I know people and skills.  Plus I'm old, and yelling at a Monitor isn't good for my heart....🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Honestly brother, I am not as football savvy as most on these boards, and I am not a college sports guy at all.  I'm not impassioned one way or the other.  However, I know people and skills.  Plus I'm old, and yelling at a Monitor isn't good for my heart....🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ha ha