New England and Chicago called the Falcons about the availability of Ryan

Geneaut

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

So, having only read the first post, and, without reading through this whole thread, is it filled with posts from those who want us to trade Ryan, trying to argue that this guy (who I've never heard of till today) is legitimate? 

No.  it's been a fun thread with some funny moments.  10/10 would read again.

8 minutes ago, athell said:

So in this line of thinking there would be a deal on the table with another team or teams, pending pick 4, and if the right guy falls to 4 they would execute the trade?  

Or if the guy isn't there, the deal on the table is pulled?

That’s what I imagine. Say they feel Fields is the guy and he can start now and we take him if we wanna trade Ryan we’d do it then or keep him to let Fields learn. 

But if Fields is the guy and he goes before our pick and we just trade back we’d never know he was the guy they wanted.

But we wouldn’t trade Ryan before the draft because then teams would be calling #2 and #3 trying to jump us obviously going QB.

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

That’s what I imagine. Say they feel Fields is the guy and he can start now and we take him if we wanna trade Ryan we’d do it then or keep him to let Fields learn. 

But if Fields is the guy and he goes before our pick and we just trade back we’d never know he was the guy they wanted.

But we wouldn’t trade Ryan before the draft because then teams would be calling #2 and #3 trying to jump us obviously going QB.

Yeah I gotchu.  To @JD dirtybird21's point though, if we pick a QB in top 5, I'd rather Matt not be on roster next year.  I get the whole "mentor" thing but that's not Matt's job and I'd rather collect the picks, eat the dead money and move forward with QB4.

4 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah I gotchu.  To @JD dirtybird21's point though, if we pick a QB in top 5, I'd rather Matt not be on roster next year.  I get the whole "mentor" thing but that's not Matt's job and I'd rather collect the picks, eat the dead money and move forward with QB4.

Exactly, if we are going rookie, might as well take advantage of the cheap rookie contract as much as possible 

10 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

And TF should feel insulted IF some of the narrow minded know it alls think he shouldn’t consider trading Ryan if the price is right and it’s his plan to draft a QB for the future at 4. 
Just saying😎

No. TF should worry about his job if he traded snd QB is a dud. Either ways final trade decision will be Rich mckay and Arthur blanks call.

16 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Great point Ovie definitely with you on this one.

Not showing your hand to the rest of the people around you drafting.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, athell said:

I'm unapologetically wanting Matt to be here through his current contract, so within the next 3 years.  Maybe more if AS does to him what I think he will...

Bad news for the QB@4 crowd, but that's what I think and what my gut is telling me.  

I understand everybody wanting Matt to be here. It's just hard to understand how we can afford to put such a big percentage of the cap on one player and still be able to put a good team around him.

You are correct that as tempting as getting your future QB issue taken care of in the first months of your tenure would be for A.S. and T.F., there are too many holes for them not to trade back for the max haul. I just hope it doesn't end up with one of these QB's playing in Carolina.

22 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

My whole thing with the QB at 4 thing is if Font and Smith really want to do it, then trade Ryan now. Eat the dead cap and clear yourself of it as fast as possible. I just don't want to waste a top 5 pick on a QB if you still think Matt could play for 2-3 more years (which I believe he can.) 

No way they do that and eat a 40+ Million dollar cap hit... The only way we trade Ryan is trading him after June 1st to split up the cap hit...which i could not see any team doing that except maybe the 49ers..and thats because Matt knows that offense well enough that it probably wouldnt take him long to catch up in their system...but i dont see it happening

11 minutes ago, andrews31cain21 said:

No way they do that and eat a 40+ Million dollar cap hit... The only way we trade Ryan is trading him after June 1st to split up the cap hit...which i could not see any team doing that except maybe the 49ers..and thats because Matt knows that offense well enough that it probably wouldnt take him long to catch up in their system...but i dont see it happening

I don’t think so either. I don’t think QB is happening at pick 4. We either trade down or draft Sewell 

6 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

Amazing he is good enough for other teams but not good enough for Falcon fans.  After years of playing with few injuries considering the Olines letting him be sacked fans give him little respect.

🤨

It’s not about lack of respect for me. MR is the greatest thing that ever happened to the Falcons. He absolutely is good enough for the Falcons with me but I do understand and support the idea of TF drafting a QB at 4 or wherever if that’s his plan for long term. MR will be 36 in two months and if TF wants to build his future with a young QB what’s wrong with that? You’re right about the OL sucking and all the sacks.

1 hour ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Ryan cap hit won’t be split post or pre June 1st. Falcons will have to take 40+ M cap hit. Only relief in post June 1st trade is Cap hit will be spread over 3 years. 17 M  in each of 2021, 2022, and another 7-8 M in 2023.