What's Best For The Future.....

17 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I'd prefer getting a player that can actually help the team now at 4.  You don't draft a player at 4 that is going to sit on the bench for 3 years.

You don’t know how long he will sit that’s an assumption so I’m going to ignore it

you see I can do the same thing ..assume whoever you want to draft outside of QB won’t be worth a **** as a rookie like a few players we drafted in the past  ..it’s an assumption 

crazy I didn’t know the draft ended in the first round…crazy cause I didn’t know the Falcons only had 1 pick in the entire draft …it’s CRAZY 😏

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, I'm glad somebody is finally discussing how we will never be in a position to get a franchise QB again.  This topic has been glaringly absent from this board for months now. Thank you for sa

If he's still getting it done, there's no reason to replace him. You ride that HOF train til the wheels come off.  Anyone who believes some rook of any kind is coming in here and having success immedi

The bigger issue, and this is something @falcons007 has pointed out a lot, "the future" for TF and AS is 2-3 years, max.  They don't have the luxury of doing the long con rebuild.  The truth is, they

Posted Images

On 2/26/2021 at 9:14 AM, realhomie81 said:

Yeah, QBs drafted early don't always pan out but majority do

That is not true.  The majority do not pan out.  I have a thread listing all first round QBs drafted since Ryan.  Guess what?  The top 16 did not do better than the bottom 16.  The majority did not remain starters for 10 years.  Some of the bombed in the first 2-3 years.  We need to draft a QB soon.  I just do not want to try to get a good one at 4.  We have too many holes.  I have seen enough of losing.  Get some players.  Go with Ryan and a lower round QB the next 2 seasons.  Win some games.  If the youngster does not look good, draft another QB next season. 

Fans need to get used to the idea that QBs drafted in the first 10 spots bomb as much as they work out. 

29 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

You don’t know how long he will sit that’s an assumption so I’m going to ignore it

you see I can do the same thing ..assume whoever you want to draft outside of QB won’t be worth a **** as a rookie like a few players we drafted in the past  ..it’s an assumption 

crazy I didn’t know the draft ended in the first round…crazy cause I didn’t know the Falcons only had 1 pick in the entire draft …it’s CRAZY 😏

That was not worth reading.  Want some real information?  Here you go.

Players, all positions, average a little below 50% following their draft.  That is to say, less than half become good NFL players.  That includes NFL QBs.  The falloff from round to round is very small.  Yes, you do get below 40% in the final rounds, but the important thing to remember is that the first round draftees are no sure thing.  We have many holes.  We need to trade down and grab several prospects including a QB.  The difference between first round QBs and second round QBs is about a 5% hit rate. 

The way some of you have talked, we would have only 1 draft position.  Some of you guys would package everything up and grab the number 1 spot.  Then, you would wonder why this team is not competitive. 

1 hour ago, NorthGaBoy said:

That was not worth reading.  Want some real information?  Here you go.

Players, all positions, average a little below 50% following their draft.  That is to say, less than half become good NFL players.  That includes NFL QBs.  The falloff from round to round is very small.  Yes, you do get below 40% in the final rounds, but the important thing to remember is that the first round draftees are no sure thing.  We have many holes.  We need to trade down and grab several prospects including a QB.  The difference between first round QBs and second round QBs is about a 5% hit rate. 

The way some of you have talked, we would have only 1 draft position.  Some of you guys would package everything up and grab the number 1 spot.  Then, you would wonder why this team is not competitive. 

This is not worth reading, just sounds like a piss poor excuse to trade back and keep Ryan..dismissed 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, JDaveG said:

Wow, I'm glad somebody is finally discussing how we will never be in a position to get a franchise QB again.  This topic has been glaringly absent from this board for months now.

Thank you for saying what needs to be said.

he actually 'liked' your comment. 

sooooo much I could say here, but I'll leave it at 'seeing and understanding sarcasm isn't a strong suit for him'

:lol:

7 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

This is not worth reading, just sounds like a piss poor excuse to trade back and keep Ryan..dismissed 

Not worth reading?  Does factual information like less than half the players drafted succeed in the NFL not affect your opinion at all?  Have you closed your mind to all input?  You want to draft a QB at 4 and you do not accept any factual information that may indicate that is not the best decision for the Falcons in 2021.  Why are you here?  You know that this forum is only for discussions, right?  You know that the Falcons FO does not take a consensus of opinions on this forum and develop a strategy from that, right?  You know the only reason to be here is to have discussions with Falcons Fans, right?

Do you know those things?  Are you confused? 

Well, since you do not want to have a discussion about what we should do with our draft in 2021, I will not bore you with further responses.  Bye bye.

Funny thing is that fans want to act like Eisenhower at the strategy table in March, knowing full well that we all turn into raging lunatics with the opening day kickoff. 

—“Pick a QB at 4 and let him learn behind Ryan for two years”. Mm-hmm.  The first time Ryan overthrows someone by a foot on 2nd and 1, within five seconds we’ll have a dozen “bring on da future” threads pop up.  

—“Cut/trade the vets and clear the cap.”  Sounds good until we go down 3-0 after the first drive and every screams about Fontenot “destroying the team.”

I want this team to do a absolutely everything it can to be as competitive as possible every season.  No tanking, no elaborate, multi-step schemes that have about a 10% chance of panning out.  Five year plans never worked in the Soviet Union and they sure as **** don’t in the modern NFL.

The success/failure rate for QB's taken in the 1st and even top 10 is nothing to write home about.  You can read more into this at https://football.pitcherlist.com/pessimists-guide-to-the-nfl-draft/

When you consider that highly drafted quarterbacks also get a longer leash than just about any other position in professional sports it makes these numbers look even worse.  I say we should be looking for our next quarterback over he next couple of years and not think we have to zero in on one today. 

If we can get a guy like Trask, Mac Jones or Newman to be Matt's caddy for a year or two while he develops why not?  I think this narrative that you have to draft our next quarterback with a high pick is a false one.