What's Best For The Future.....

So I've read many topics about what we should do at the four spot in the draft.  Some want a QB and some want to trade down and acquire more picks.  I'm for either option, but I just need to know something.  If we don't go QB and trade down when do we draft our next QB?  I don't see us being in the position to draft a franchise QB anytime soon after this year.  So if we're planning drafting a QB in 2022 or 2023 what are we willing to give up?  Yeah, QBs drafted early don't always pan out but majority do so a team would have to be in at least the top 10 sniff the top QBs in that draft class without having to give up a lot.  To be honest there's only two other QBs in this draft outside of the top four or five that I would consider drafting in a later round and that's Desmond Ridder and Zac Thomas.  I know some may say what about Kyle Trask or Mac Jones but for some reason they just don't seem to do it for me but that's just my opinion.  Anyway I'm just curious to see what other fan's think. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, I'm glad somebody is finally discussing how we will never be in a position to get a franchise QB again.  This topic has been glaringly absent from this board for months now. Thank you for sa

If he's still getting it done, there's no reason to replace him. You ride that HOF train til the wheels come off.  Anyone who believes some rook of any kind is coming in here and having success immedi

The bigger issue, and this is something @falcons007 has pointed out a lot, "the future" for TF and AS is 2-3 years, max.  They don't have the luxury of doing the long con rebuild.  The truth is, they

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

So I've read many topics about what we should do at the four spot in the draft.  Some want a QB and some want to trade down and acquire more picks.  I'm for either option, but I just need to know something.  If we don't go QB and trade down when do we draft our next QB?  I don't see us being in the position to draft a franchise QB anytime soon after this year.  So if we're planning drafting a QB in 2022 or 2023 what are we willing to give up?  Yeah, QBs drafted early don't always pan out but majority do so a team would have to be in at least the top 10 sniff the top QBs in that draft class without having to give up a lot.  To be honest there's only two other QBs in this draft outside of the top four or five that I would consider drafting in a later round and that's Desmond Ridder and Zac Thomas.  I know some may say what about Kyle Trask or Mac Jones but for some reason they just don't seem to do it for me but that's just my opinion.  Anyway I'm just curious to see what other fan's think. 

Recent years shows the majority actually don't pan out. I think you try and find a guy in Rds2-4 or in a perfect world we're picking at the back end of the 1st, preferably 32, and maybe can move up a few spots for a guy we really like. Best case scenario, we don't have to worry about this until 2025 or so..

Let us look at this a different way. There are possibly 10 qbs going in the 1st two rounds... can we agree on that?

Maybe 60-65% of teams are solid with who their qb is at the moment. This will count Dak wherever he goes. Still agree?

How many teams could possibly be looking for a qb over the next 2 years unless the one they picked s**t the bed already? This is how an Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben fall to the teens. Supply and demand, my friend.

What is also something to consider is that we are currently set at the starter position.  If we take a Jones, Trask, Newman, or Mond they are truly developmental with good skillsets.  Jones arguably is the most pro ready, low ceiling high floor kid.  Newman has raw skills that need honing.  Remember, AS is a teacher.  He did wonders with a 32 year old Ryan Tannehill.  I have faith this staff can and will develop talent.  

One caveat to me is free agency.  If TF can pull off some signing coups, and our team is more rounded, they may take a flyer on a QB at 4.  FA to me is the real lynchpin in this.

14 minutes ago, Foo Falcons said:

Recent years shows the majority actually don't pan out. I think you try and find a guy in Rds2-4 or in a perfect world we're picking at the back end of the 1st, preferably 32, and maybe can move up a few spots for a guy we really like. Best case scenario, we don't have to worry about this until 2025 or so..

So you think we're going re-up Matt until 2025?

8 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

What is also something to consider is that we are currently set at the starter position.  If we take a Jones, Trask, Newman, or Mond they are truly developmental with good skillsets.  Jones arguably is the most pro ready, low ceiling high floor kid.  Newman has raw skills that need honing.  Remember, AS is a teacher.  He did wonders with a 32 year old Ryan Tannehill.  I have faith this staff can and will develop talent.  

One caveat to me is free agency.  If TF can pull off some signing coups, and our team is more rounded, they may take a flyer on a QB at 4.  FA to me is the real lynchpin in this.

Yep. Free agency will be the key to everything we do. Our needs can change overnight if we fill a couple of big holes on the roster. 

1 minute ago, realhomie81 said:

So you think we're going re-up Matt until 2025?

If he's still getting it done, there's no reason to replace him. You ride that HOF train til the wheels come off.  Anyone who believes some rook of any kind is coming in here and having success immediately, or even year two, is kidding himself. 

Once we put a kid in that spot starting, be prepared for him to fail, and lots of losing, because history says that's exactly what will happen. 

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

If he's still getting it done, there's no reason to replace him. You ride that HOF train til the wheels come off.  Anyone who believes some rook of any kind is coming in here and having success immediately, or even year two, is kidding himself. 

Once we put a kid in that spot starting, be prepared for him to fail, and lots of losing, because history says that's exactly what will happen. 

The bigger issue, and this is something @falcons007 has pointed out a lot, "the future" for TF and AS is 2-3 years, max.  They don't have the luxury of doing the long con rebuild.  The truth is, they win by year 2 or they're on the hot seat.  So if you have a QB, then you don't need a QB.  We need a backup.  We need to be planning for the future.  But spending no. 4 on a QB had better pay immediate dividends, or all they're building for is the next FO and coaching staff.  Because they'll both be gone if we don't win.

That's how the NFL is.

For what it's worth, if the clear choice at 4 is a QB AND we have no option to trade down, I expect TF to take the QB.  Because short or long term, that's his philosophy.  I'm down with a QB at 4, but only if TF and AS think he's head and shoulders the best player on the board AND they think taking him is better than trading down.

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Great point, but piggy backing off what Terry said we want to draft for the future so would it be smart to draft a QB now and let him learn behind a HOF QB and also be learning the system as well rather than wait and just immediately throw him into the fire.  Either way there are going to be growing pains but may less of them if we draft him now.

23 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Wow, I'm glad somebody is finally discussing how we will never be in a position to get a franchise QB again.  This topic has been glaringly absent from this board for months now.

Thank you for saying what needs to be said.

I don’t blame the OP. It’s same ole narrative pushed by clowns in the media and mockers. There will never be an opportunity again to pick ____ . Most of those can’t miss are big duds. 

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

For what it's worth, if the clear choice at 4 is a QB AND we have no option to trade down, I expect TF to take the QB.  Because short or long term, that's his philosophy.  I'm down with a QB at 4, but only if TF and AS think he's head and shoulders the best player on the board AND they think taking him is better than trading down.

Agreed

1 minute ago, realhomie81 said:

Great point, but piggy backing off what Terry said we want to draft for the future so would it be smart to draft a QB now and let him learn behind a HOF QB and also be learning the system as well rather than wait and just immediately throw him into the fire.  Either way there are going to be growing pains but may less of them if we draft him now.

Drafting for the future would be actually building a good team around the QB for once.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The bigger issue, and this is something @falcons007 has pointed out a lot, "the future" for TF and AS is 2-3 years, max.  They don't have the luxury of doing the long con rebuild.  The truth is, they win by year 2 or they're on the hot seat.  So if you have a QB, then you don't need a QB.  We need a backup.  We need to be planning for the future.  But spending no. 4 on a QB had better pay immediate dividends, or all they're building for is the next FO and coaching staff.  Because they'll both be gone if we don't win.

That's how the NFL is.

Yep. I didn’t hear any one including AB, TF or AS mention beyond 2023. TF and As talked about making decisions not just for 2021 but keeping 2022 and 2023 in mind. Year 2 is graveyard for coaches. Count the blessings if  you are HC with two losing seasons and still have a job in year 3.

4 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

In round 3-6, sure. In the top 5? They'd be destroying any chance this team has of winning, and likely paving the way for their exit from day one. It's not going to happen. 

Just now, thanat0s said:

In round 3-6, sure. In the top 5? They'd be destroying any chance this team has of winning, and likely paving the way for their exit from day one. It's not going to happen. 

If any of the top QB guys fall in late first round or early second round, TF should have a plan to trade back up from #35 to draft a QB. I don’t want them to reach or draft thinking we are not gonna draft this high again. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

If any of the top QB guys fall in late first round or early second round, TF should have a plan to trade back up from #35 to draft a QB. I don’t want them to reach or draft thinking we are not gonna draft this high again. 

Maybe next year if they knock this offseason out of the park. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Yep, I don't have a problem with the trade back up scenario, as long as it doesn't include our 1 next year.

5 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

If one pick destroys any chance of winning then there isn't much of a team to begin with.

13 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Boom.  Logical thought bro.  

Just now, Someday soon said:

If one pick destroys any chance of winning then there isn't much of a team to begin with.

I think he meant after a trade down which would net us extra picks.  Without that trade down we would have just our current picks.  In that last scenario, one pick, at 4 could be costly.

If we trade down and land a 1st next year, we could very well be in a similar spot as the Dolphins this year (though they won't take a QB). Alternatively, we'll have all the ammo we need to trade up if need be...or just take a QB outside of the top 10 since it's far from a guarantee and they'll be able to have a better team around them. I don't get this argument at all.