13 hours ago, Someday soon said:

I've still haven't seen anyone post how they are getting the team under the cap.  Put some numbers with the extend/restructure players and years.  If the Falcons have to cut players how much of a team will be left and if that's the case burn it all down and get on with the rebuild.

So many ways to do it but it's going to be a combo of a bunch of stuff, but yea there are going to be more cuts, we are going to be doing a bit of a rebuild for sure , which is whole reason why we need to make like we are hard for a qb so teams make decent offers to trade up to our spot 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm 57 and married 20 years. I haven't gotten it since Moses was a baby. 😖

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/video/billick-falcons-drafting-a-qb-at-no-4-would-be-huge-mistake/u9zvjmiyim1r1on06204f6e7e

And Brian clearly don’t get it 

13 hours ago, Power I said:

Deshaun Watson was the 3rd quarterback drafted in 2017. Josh Allen was the 3rd drafted quarterback in 2018. Justin Herbert was the 3rd drafted quarterback in 2020. 10 years from now, would you rather have a 31 year old franchise QB, CB, or WR? 

The “impact rookie season” is sooooo overrated.

So many on TATF build their entire draft strategy over players they believe make the huge impact rookie season - like that is the most important analysis on earth.  Of course you want rookies to be as successful as possible but you don’t draft players for a one year investment.

17 hours ago, Power I said:

So with that said, how does a #2 CB or a #2 WR help us in 2021 and beyond compared to an eventual, sooner rather than later, #1 QB?

Majority of #1 Q!B picks never even contribute, much less go to a SB.  Your boy couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm and you want us to risk the franchise with him ?  Not very smart.  More draft picks will get us much closer to a SB.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

The “impact rookie season” is sooooo overrated.

So many on TATF build their entire draft strategy over players they believe make the huge impact rookie season - like that is the most important analysis on earth.  Of course you want rookies to be as successful as possible but you don’t draft players for a one year investment.

Maybe so,, but if you don't draft a player Who has a really good year as a rookie,, Then You can count on it.  You probably made a poor decision to pick that player.  The only position IMO that has a very slow learning curve and that needs time to develop is the OL,, It' natural for a Rookie OL to take time to adjust to the pros.  It's a lot harder for the OL to adjust than the DL to adjust.. I'd say it's like twice as hard for the OL.  And the reason for that is because the DL job is busting threw..  Where as the OL has to stop these Monster DLman ,, I tell ya.. I'd hate to be an OL in the NFL these days.. They have their hands full. A great OL is very very valuable in these days that the DLs are becoming so Powerful and strong. And will run you over,, That's why I'm wanting our DL to become one of those most feared in the NFL. 

It's not rocket science. Anyone with a brain can see the Falcons would be stupid to draft a high round QB. Ryan has still got a lot left in the tank. This team needs a lot of help in other areas. Only a complete moron would waste a pick on a QB in the falcons position.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH
4 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

It's not rocket science. Anyone with a brain can see the Falcons would be stupid to draft a high round QB. Ryan had still got a lot left in the tank. This team needs a lot of help in other areas. Only a complete moron would waste a pick on a QB in the falcons position.

The coach has spoken.....and I concur 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

No Matt had faults, but no QB drafted a 4 will be better than Matt for at least 4-5 years. And yes our defense has let us down basically forever. Also our run game has been bad.

better maybe not, cheaper? yes. also an important metric.

8 hours ago, Romfal said:

better maybe not, cheaper? yes. also an important metric.

Not really. Most QBs cost as much as Matt or More now a days. Unless you get a rookie QB on a SB now team the cheap contract does not matter. So if we get Fields we are a better team without Matt this year? 

1 hour ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Not really. Most QBs cost as much as Matt or More now a days. Unless you get a rookie QB on a SB now team the cheap contract does not matter. So if we get Fields we are a better team without Matt this year? 

again,  TF isn't primarily concerned w/ this year.  The 2021 Atlanta Falcons aren't winning a SB - their ceiling would probably be 9-7 and eeking into the first round of the playoffs and losing.   

it's not about 2021 - you need to get out of that mindset.   Arthur Smith has to focus a little more about 2021 but Fontenot has to build "his team as he sees fit" and the target arrival date isn't 2021.

again,  TF isn't primarily concerned w/ this year.  The 2021 Atlanta Falcons aren't winning a SB - their ceiling would probably be 9-7 and eeking into the first round of the playoffs and losing.   

it's not about 2021 - you need to get out of that mindset.   Arthur Smith has to focus a little more about 2021 but Fontenot has to build "his team as he sees fit" and the target arrival date isn't 2021.

I don't think it changes much unless we are talking 4 or 5 years down the road unless we get rid of all the high contracts and aging players.

To think that tf doesnt care about this year is foolish. If the falcons bomb this year him and art are instantly in the hot seat to produce in 2022. 

54 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I don't think it changes much unless we are talking 4 or 5 years down the road unless we get rid of all the high contracts and aging players.

you shifted it from 2021 - to 4-5 years down the road which is too far - Year 3 is when a new GM would really want to have his team in place that he wants to do battle.   So we disagree there.

35 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

To think that tf doesnt care about this year is foolish. If the falcons bomb this year him and art are instantly in the hot seat to produce in 2022. 

just like sick saying "year 4-5" to exaggerate his point

"there you go again"

where you say I said "tf doesn't care about this year" - that's not what I said.

Can you guys make your points without distorting mine?

32 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

you shifted it from 2021 - to 4-5 years down the road which is too far - Year 3 is when a new GM would really want to have his team in place that he wants to do battle.   So we disagree there.

But you can't just magically do it in one year, and dump your franchise QB in the process, fans would not stand for that wait til 5 years nonsense,  We can be competitive this year, but not by drafting a QB.  Many other spots can be filled if we trade down. 

24 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

But you can't just magically do it in one year, and dump your franchise QB in the process, fans would not stand for that wait til 5 years nonsense,  We can be competitive this year, but not by drafting a QB.  Many other spots can be filled if we trade down. 

yes but Elite QBs don't grow on trees and they don't happen every year, either.   The most important 5 positions in football are QB, QB, QB, QB and QB - that is why teams will do almost anything to get one.   

Matt Ryan has anywhere from a 2-5 year shelf life remaining - he's been a dayum good QB for the Falcons and so glad we drafted him.  If he played not another down for the Falcons he would easily be one of the best 2-3 players in Falcons history with a good argument for #1.  I'm no Ryan Hater - not at all.   However, I believe the Falcons have gotten the best of Matt Ryan and I don't see the next 5 years with him being as good.

If Terry Fontenot scouts the QBs w/ his staff and they are 100% sold on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson and they are sitting on the board - then it's the only move to make.    Falcons have gotten 13yrs and with 2021 counting - 14 years of return on their investment in that #3 pick overall - that's a heckuva return.   There was no rookie wage scale in 2008 so Matt has gotten paid from the get-go but was a great get.

People citing the desire to trade down and garner more picks - the reason Falcons would be able to do so is if one of those two - Fields or Wilson - is sitting on the board at #4 and teams clamoring for the player - the smart move could be to trade the pick - or - the smart move could be to rebuff the offers, take the QB and move on down the road - still have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, three 5ths and a 6th round pick.   Then your rook QB can season for a year and learn and - then you trade Matt/Julio in 2022 - now you have even more picks in 2022 and sheot-ton of cap space in 2023 and a totally re-made team and a potential QB carrying the torch for another 14 years.  To me, that is how you run a stable franchise - Packers never dropped off after Favre left - why?  they had their heir apparent.   

This is going to be an off season with a sliver of crazy running through it.  I for one want to see a modicum of savagery with it.  We have to be able to cut ties with folks who no longer fit the grand scheme.

I'm good with MR2 staying forever.  Or, I'm good with him finding another home.  I'd love a Ryan Eagles jersey.  I want Julio to retire a Falcon, but, understand if it makes more sense to allow him to leave one way or another.  I'm ok with trading down in the draft.  I'm more apprehensive with trading up, but, depending on FA, maybe it's something we do at some point.  

In the end, I want Arthur Blank to hold a Lombardi high above his head at Mercedes while the crowd is losing it's collective sheeeeet.

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

This is going to be an off season with a sliver of crazy running through it.  I for one want to see a modicum of savagery with it.  We have to be able to cut ties with folks who no longer fit the grand scheme.

I'm good with MR2 staying forever.  Or, I'm good with him finding another home.  I'd love a Ryan Eagles jersey.  I want Julio to retire a Falcon, but, understand if it makes more sense to allow him to leave one way or another.  I'm ok with trading down in the draft.  I'm more apprehensive with trading up, but, depending on FA, maybe it's something we do at some point.  

In the end, I want Arthur Blank to hold a Lombardi high above his head at Mercedes while the crowd is losing it's collective sheeeeet.

Then we trade down and put this team in a position to compete.

15 hours ago, g-dawg said:

yes but Elite QBs don't grow on trees and they don't happen every year, either.   The most important 5 positions in football are QB, QB, QB, QB and QB - that is why teams will do almost anything to get one.   

Matt Ryan has anywhere from a 2-5 year shelf life remaining - he's been a dayum good QB for the Falcons and so glad we drafted him.  If he played not another down for the Falcons he would easily be one of the best 2-3 players in Falcons history with a good argument for #1.  I'm no Ryan Hater - not at all.   However, I believe the Falcons have gotten the best of Matt Ryan and I don't see the next 5 years with him being as good.

If Terry Fontenot scouts the QBs w/ his staff and they are 100% sold on Justin Fields or Zach Wilson and they are sitting on the board - then it's the only move to make.    Falcons have gotten 13yrs and with 2021 counting - 14 years of return on their investment in that #3 pick overall - that's a heckuva return.   There was no rookie wage scale in 2008 so Matt has gotten paid from the get-go but was a great get.

People citing the desire to trade down and garner more picks - the reason Falcons would be able to do so is if one of those two - Fields or Wilson - is sitting on the board at #4 and teams clamoring for the player - the smart move could be to trade the pick - or - the smart move could be to rebuff the offers, take the QB and move on down the road - still have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, three 5ths and a 6th round pick.   Then your rook QB can season for a year and learn and - then you trade Matt/Julio in 2022 - now you have even more picks in 2022 and sheot-ton of cap space in 2023 and a totally re-made team and a potential QB carrying the torch for another 14 years.  To me, that is how you run a stable franchise - Packers never dropped off after Favre left - why?  they had their heir apparent.   

Simple logic, why waste a #4 pick on an untested rookie QB when we don't NEED a QB.  QB is NOT our problem.