Some get it, some don’t.

1 minute ago, Power I said:

So trade down aside, let's say the top 3 go Lawrence, Wilson, Sewell. Who do you draft?

Who ever is on top of the Falcons draft board. I would be ok with Surtain, Chase or who ever is BPA. I am not one of those who falls in love with certain prospect and should draft him at any cost. Either ways it’s too early as players fall and rise as teams start evaluating these top players with a microscope. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Who ever is on top of the Falcons draft board. I would be ok with Surtain, Chase or who ever is BPA. I am not one of those who falls in love with certain prospect and should draft him at any cost. Either ways it’s too early as players fall and rise as teams start evaluating these top players with a microscope. 

So with that said, how does a #2 CB or a #2 WR help us in 2021 and beyond compared to an eventual, sooner rather than later, #1 QB?

30 minutes ago, Power I said:

So with that said, how does a #2 CB or a #2 WR help us in 2021 and beyond compared to an eventual, sooner rather than later, #1 QB?

In NFL, you need 3 starting CB, two elite to good corners. Falcons have one in AJ and the rest are average at best. 
Add Surtain, AJ and Sign Marcus Maye or Marcus Williams. That secondary would be nasty for years starting from 2021. You could get NB like Desmond king or others to complete the rest of secondary. 
Add Chase to the mix and you can part ways with Julio in 2022 or if the new regime thinks They won’t pay Ridley beyond 2022. 
The Qb is a reach where you are getting a 3rd best QB in the draft. At other positions you have the choice to draft top player in their positions. 
If anything QB pick is waste for #4, given the guy isn't going to start at the least this year or more likely sit on bench in 2022. 

The draft is frequently referred to as the quarterback class of 1983, because six quarterbacks were taken in the first round—John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Dan Marino—the highest number of first round picks for the position. Of these quarterbacks, Elway, Kelly, Eason, and Marino played in the Super Bowl, Elway, Kelly, O'Brien, and Marino were selected to play in the Pro Bowl, and Elway, Kelly, and Marino have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All six quarterbacks were drafted by American Football Conference (AFC) teams, with every member of the five-team AFC East (the Baltimore Colts, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, New York Jets, and New England Patriots) selecting a quarterback. In eleven of the sixteen years following this draft, the AFC was represented in the Super Bowl by a team led by one of these quarterbacks: five with the Denver Broncos and Elway, four with the Bills and Kelly, one with the Dolphins and Marino, and one with the Patriots and Eason.

Three hall of famers in the same class?  Just maybe lightning strikes twice.

3 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

The draft is frequently referred to as the quarterback class of 1983, because six quarterbacks were taken in the first round—John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Dan Marino—the highest number of first round picks for the position. Of these quarterbacks, Elway, Kelly, Eason, and Marino played in the Super Bowl, Elway, Kelly, O'Brien, and Marino were selected to play in the Pro Bowl, and Elway, Kelly, and Marino have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All six quarterbacks were drafted by American Football Conference (AFC) teams, with every member of the five-team AFC East (the Baltimore Colts, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, New York Jets, and New England Patriots) selecting a quarterback. In eleven of the sixteen years following this draft, the AFC was represented in the Super Bowl by a team led by one of these quarterbacks: five with the Denver Broncos and Elway, four with the Bills and Kelly, one with the Dolphins and Marino, and one with the Patriots and Eason.

Three hall of famers in the same class?  Just maybe lightning strikes twice.

According to Arthur Smith it reminds me of 2011 draft where Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Jake locker.  All 4 picked in top 12. 

23 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

In NFL, you need 3 starting CB, two elite to good corners. Falcons have one in AJ and the rest are average at best. 
Add Surtain, AJ and Sign Marcus Maye or Marcus Williams. That secondary would be nasty for years starting from 2021. You could get NB like Desmond king or others to complete the rest of secondary. 
Add Chase to the mix and you can part ways with Julio in 2022 or if the new regime thinks They won’t pay Ridley beyond 2022. 
The Qb is a reach where you are getting a 3rd best QB in the draft. At other positions you have the choice to draft top player in their positions. 
If anything QB pick is waste for #4, given the guy isn't going to start at the least this year or more likely sit on bench in 2022. 

Deshaun Watson was the 3rd quarterback drafted in 2017. Josh Allen was the 3rd drafted quarterback in 2018. Justin Herbert was the 3rd drafted quarterback in 2020. 10 years from now, would you rather have a 31 year old franchise QB, CB, or WR? 

16 minutes ago, Power I said:

Deshaun Watson was the 3rd quarterback drafted in 2017. Josh Allen was the 3rd drafted quarterback in 2018. Justin Herbert was the 3rd drafted quarterback in 2020. 10 years from now, would you rather have a 31 year old franchise QB, CB, or WR? 

Texans didn’t have a starting QB and had to draft QB. Watson went to a team which was knocked out of Playoffs by SB champs year earlier. Texans had 4 playoff appearances and 4 division championships in 5 years before Watson was drafted.

Josh Allen went to a team which was missing QB but had a complete team outside of QB. Bills were 24-24 and just one losing season 3 years before Josh Allen was drafted. Bills had a team with no QB. 
2020 draft or even 2018 draft is too early to evaluate. 

if the Falcons had problem at Qb like these teams with out a franchise QB, it’s no brainer and you take a chance with QB. Assuming they have good running game and decent defense.

You listed very minuscule number of successful QB among many duds. 

12 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Texans didn’t have a starting QB and had to draft QB. Watson went to a team which was knocked out of Playoffs by SB champs year earlier. Texans had 4 playoff appearances and 4 division championships in 5 years before Watson was drafted.

Josh Allen went to a team which was missing QB but had a complete team outside of QB. Bills were 24-24 and just one losing season 3 years before Josh Allen was drafted. Bills had a team with no QB. 
2020 draft or even 2018 draft is too early to evaluate. 

if the Falcons had problem at Qb like these teams with out a franchise QB, it’s no brainer and you take a chance with QB. Assuming they have good running game and decent defense.

You listed very minuscule number of successful QB among many duds. 

Interesting. So why did the Packers draft the 2nd best QB in 2005 to let him sit behind their 35 year old sure-fire Hall of Famer? Why did the Packers do it again in 2020 with the 4th best QB to let him sit behind their 36 year old sure-fire Hall of Famer?

So that's three teams in recent years drafting the "third best" quarterback with tremendous success along with one of the winningest franchises in NFL history doing something similar with MVP and Super Bowl winning QBs still on the team. 

Which one of those teams drafted a WR or CB in the top 5 that changed their fortunes?

Edited by Power I

3 minutes ago, Power I said:

Interesting. So why did the Packers draft the 2nd best QB in 2005 to let him sit behind their 35 year old sure-fire Hall of Famer? Why did the Packers do it again in 2020 with the 4th best QB to let him sit behind their sure-fire 36 year old Hall of Famer?

So that's three teams in recent years drafting the "third best" quarterback with tremendous success along with one of the winningest franchises in NFL history doing something similar with MVP and Super Bowl winning QBs still on the team. 

Which one of those teams drafted a WR or CB in the top 5 that changed their fortunes?

Probably because sure fire hall of famer said he was retiring. I see you just left that part out. Must have been an accident I'm sure

Also, has houston or the chargers fortunes really changed? Houston should be picking one spot ahead of us and the chargers didn't care much better because of the TEAM around their qb

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Probably because sure fire hall of famer said he was retiring. I see you just left that part out. Must have been an accident I'm sure

Also, has houston or the chargers fortunes really changed? Houston should be picking one spot ahead of us and the chargers didn't care much better because of the TEAM around their qb

Aaron Rodgers said he was retiring last year? Brett Favre said he was retiring after the 2004 season?

31 minutes ago, Power I said:

Interesting. So why did the Packers draft the 2nd best QB in 2005 to let him sit behind their 35 year old sure-fire Hall of Famer? Why did the Packers do it again in 2020 with the 4th best QB to let him sit behind their 36 year old sure-fire Hall of Famer?

That Favre argument is ignorant at best. GB had to draft a QB in 2005. At the end of 2004 Brett Favre told media and packers he wasnt sure about coming back and will take time to think about retirement. GB FO went in to 2005 off season looking for a QB. Favre came back just weeks before the draft and said He was committing for 2005 and was not sure about future. 
Last I checked none of that applies to Falcons. 
Jordan Love was a dumb pick and now Aaron Rodgers wants a new deal and said he is pissed and said he was unsure about his future with GB after winning the MVp. GB could have used some one like Jefferson in NFCG unlike Jordan Love who was sniffing jocks on the sideline. Love pick is not example for Falcons either. GB was in NfCG in 2019 before they drafted love in 2020. That’s a luxury Falcons don’t have on a 4-12 team. 

I haven’t heard one good argument yet on drafting a backup QB at #4 on a 4-12 team. 

27 minutes ago, Power I said:

Aaron Rodgers said he was retiring last year? Brett Favre said he was retiring after the 2004 season?

Yes. Favre was not sure about 2005 season mid way in to 2004. iIRC Favre’s wife was diagnosed with breast cancer during middle of 2004  season, and Favre said he would spend time with her and was noncommittal of playing in 2005 or any further.

I am surprised you just throwing random examples with out knowing what went that year.

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Yes. Favre was not sure about 2005 season mid way in to 2004. iIRC Favre’s wife was diagnosed with breast cancer during middle of 2004  season, and Favre said he would spend time with her and was noncommittal of playing in 2005 or any further.

I am surprised you just throwing random examples with out knowing what went that year.

Again, Brett Favre said he was retiring after the 2004 season?

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Can’t you read? Or are you playing dumb. What does it say? 

I certainly can read the words you just typed. I'm waiting to read where Brett Favre, himself, said after the 2004 season that he was retiring. 

1 minute ago, Power I said:

I certainly can read the words you just typed. I'm waiting to read where Brett Favre, himself, said after the 2004 season that he was retiring. 

Lol. Go search for articles from Jan 2005. You should find plenty of them Favre saying he needs to time to ponder and decide on future. Also Search news from March 2005, you will find Coach Sherman and Favre committing for one year. 
While you are at it search articles from Jan 2006-April 2006, same non committal annual ritual. And then one year commitment. The annual retirement/future  pondering Brett Favre drama started from 2005 offseason well in to 2010. 
Favre after 2004 was year to year and packers finally had it enough in 2008 and started Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Lol. Go search for articles from Jan 2005. You should find plenty of them Favre saying he needs to time to ponder and decide on future. Also Search news from March 2005, you will find Coach Sherman and Favre committing for one year. 
While you are at it search articles from Jan 2006-April 2006, same non committal annual ritual. And then one year commitment. The annual retirement/future  pondering Brett Favre drama started from 2005 offseason well in to 2010. 
Favre after 2004 was year to year and packers finally had it enough in 2008 and started Rodgers. 

Just to be clear, after 4 consecutive 10+ win seasons, with a 35 year old former MVP and Super Bowl winning QB, one of the winningest franchises in NFL history drafted a QB in the first round, allowed him to sit and learn behind one of the GOATs, solely because Favre "said he was retiring" so I've been told. The 2005 draft was the first draft I took a real interest in. Everything I recall and any article you can pull up from Google will not show Favre said he was retiring, but one of the best run franchises did what they needed to do to make sure they continued to run as such and drafted a QB. Turned out pretty well. 

Just now, Power I said:

Just to be clear, after 4 consecutive 10+ win seasons, with a 35 year old former MVP and Super Bowl winning QB, one of the winningest franchises in NFL history drafted a QB in the first round, allowed him to sit and learn behind one of the GOATs, solely because Favre "said he was retiring" so I've been told. The 2005 draft was the first draft I took a real interest in. Everything I recall and any article you can pull up from Google will not show Favre said he was retiring, but one of the best run franchises did what they needed to do to make sure they continued to run as such and drafted a QB. Turned out pretty well. 

Ok, keep trolling. I will say this one last time and let you keep trolling. Favres wife was diagnosed from cancer, and He was unsure about his future. In the interest of discussion I will leave this article from March 2005. Like I said it’s start of annual pondering/ one year commitment.

https://www.packers.com/news/ap-story-brett-favre-to-return-to-packers-in-2005-2458548

Same story in 2006

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2421947

I don’t see Ryan pondering future going in to offseason or one year commitments. I don’t care about if you read some draft articles or not. ESPN starting in 2005 off season made ton of money talking about “is Favre coming back? When will he anounce the come back or retirement”. Heck, if you followed football it was annual ritual. 
I would love to see an article from January 2005 where Favre said he was coming back to play in 2005. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Ok, keep trolling. I will say this one last time and let you keep trolling. Favres wife was diagnosed from cancer, and He was unsure about his future. In the interest of discussion I will leave this article from March 2005. Like I said it’s start of annual pondering/ one year commitment.

https://www.packers.com/news/ap-story-brett-favre-to-return-to-packers-in-2005-2458548

Same story in 2006

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2421947

I don’t see Ryan pondering future going in to offseason or one year commitments. I don’t care about if you read some draft articles or not. ESPN starting in 2005 off season made ton of money talking about “is Favre coming back? When will he anounce the come back or retirement”. Heck, if you followed football it was annual ritual. 
I would love to see an article from January 2005 where Favre said he was coming back to play in 2005. 

You literally just provided an article that was made before the draft in 2005 saying Favre said he was coming back when I was told he said he was retiring. They drafted Rodgers anyway. 

My larger point is that we don't have a former 3 time MVP and Super Bowl champion coming off of 4 consecutive 10+ win seasons. We have a 1 time MVP coming off a very poor season from a winning standpoint and we have a top 5 pick. They drafted a QB in their situation and continued to be one of the best. We can pass on a QB and continue to be mediocre. 

4 hours ago, Power I said:

You literally just provided an article that was made before the draft in 2005 saying Favre said he was coming back when I was told he said he was retiring. They drafted Rodgers anyway. 

My larger point is that we don't have a former 3 time MVP and Super Bowl champion coming off of 4 consecutive 10+ win seasons. We have a 1 time MVP coming off a very poor season from a winning standpoint and we have a top 5 pick. They drafted a QB in their situation and continued to be one of the best. We can pass on a QB and continue to be mediocre. 

That didn’t prove anything, I said it earlier Favre went in to 2005 off season pondering only to come back weeks before the draft for one year commitment. GB had problem at QB with no visibility beyond a year. BTW Favre had to confirm in March 2005 as his salary was guaranteed in March. Favre asked packers to move guarantee date to July starting from 2006, so he could get more time to ponder about retirement. 

Brett Favre argument is a dumb one because there is no uncertainty at Qb position like GB had with Favre. 

Edit: Some quotes. 

From March 2005 off season:

Favre's return-or-retire decision has been a hot topic all winter.

April 2006 off season: 

Favre, who had a roster bonus pushed back from March to July while he pondered his decision, has said that if he chose to play in 2006 that it would be his final season.