Russell Wilson Trade Destination: Saints

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aren't the Saints in worse cap shape than we are?

I need great qbs to stop coming to our division. I do not approve of this. 

"How would you feel about Russell Wilson joining the @Saints?"

3 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Not sure how they would fix it given the revenue sharing aspect of the NFL. In simple terms, part of the league revenue from the prior year is pooled together then divvied up between the 32 teams. That's all the owners can use for new contracts. The reason it can't be gone over is because from a financial standpoint, it would be seen as the NFL owing the franchise money. 

They could make it interesting by allowing owners themselves to pay X amount of players whatever they want, and putting a hard cap on the rest. 

The money being shared covers about 2/3rds of the cost of running a team. Here is a quote from the Packers CEO and President Mark Murphy:

“Roughly two-thirds of our revenue is from the broadcasts, or national revenue, and that is enough to cover our player costs,” Murphy said. “So if you say we play an entire season without any fans, roughly we would still receive two-thirds of our revenue.”

Teams can also raise a lot of revenue through local sales as well. Which is where the other 1/3rd comes from. The NFL has tons of money and isn't looking to go down anytime soon. Goddell wants that $9.5 billion to be $20 billion soon.

But then again billionaires don't become billionaires paying other people.

21 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Why the **** would they trade Wilson?

This new idea that teams should unload their greatest players because of money is absurd. Fix the salary cap so teams can keep their great vets and not scrap their fortunes.

It’s got (essentially) nothing to do with saving cap or financial reasons. It’s because star players are realizing their worth and the power that comes with it, so they have certain levels of expectation they want met. Watson wants out of Houston because he doesn’t trust ownership and wanted to have input on the new FO, was told he would be able to give his input and then was never consulted

Russ, according to current rumors, wants out because of offensive philosophy/structure. He’s sick of getting hit so much (how much is actually his fault?). He asked Carroll after the Bucs/Chiefs SB what they were going to do to fix their Oline and didn’t like what he heard so he went public with that message about being tired of getting hit and wanting to fix the OL. He also reportedly stormed out of a meeting with coaches last season before their game against AZ when his ideas to fix the offense were ignored

22 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Why the **** would they trade Wilson?

This new idea that teams should unload their greatest players because of money is absurd. Fix the salary cap so teams can keep their great vets and not scrap their fortunes.

That makes sense.  They'll never go for it.

57 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

It’s got (essentially) nothing to do with saving cap or financial reasons. It’s because star players are realizing their worth and the power that comes with it, so they have certain levels of expectation they want met. Watson wants out of Houston because he doesn’t trust ownership and wanted to have input on the new FO, was told he would be able to give his input and then was never consulted

Russ, according to current rumors, wants out because of offensive philosophy/structure. He’s sick of getting hit so much (how much is actually his fault?). He asked Carroll after the Bucs/Chiefs SB what they were going to do to fix their Oline and didn’t like what he heard so he went public with the message about wanting to fix the OL. He also reportedly stormed out of a meeting with coaches last season before their game against AZ when his ideas to fix the offense were ignored

I don't know how close the situations are in Houston and Seattle. The Seahawks keep on winning despite what Carroll is doing there. He went from a stout running game/strong defense team to a let Russell bail us out all the time. It's easy to see Wilson's complaints. 

At the same time he is the QB and while he might know a thing or two he needs to defer to the coaches. That said what's going on there and in Houston sound like a recipe for disaster.

Just now, Jesus said:

I don't know how close the situations are in Houston and Seattle. The Seahawks keep on winning despite what Carroll is doing there. He went from a stout running game/strong defense team to a let Russell bail us out all the time. It's easy to see Wilson's complaints. 

At the same time he is the QB and while he might know a thing or two he needs to differ to the coaches. That said what's going on there and in Houston sound like a recipe for disaster.

I agree there’s a magnitude of difference when it comes to competency from those two organizations.. but sounds like Russ doesn’t think their competent enough, at least not in the way he wants. In years’ past this would likely all be dealt with internally, but we’re seeing several star players in pro sports now want to put their future in their own hands as much as possible, for better or for worse 

The bigger question for me is, THE JETS?!?!?!?! Is the allure of NY that great to players? Sure you play in the biggest market in America, but their illustrious pro sports franchises have an incredible 1 pro sports league (big 4) title in the last 10 years. If we include the MLS, they have the same number as Atlanta in that same time period despite like triple the teams.

Yes!! Go to New York where you can play for incredibly run franchises like the Knicks, Nets, Mets, and Jets!!! Sure the Yankees and Giants won some like 10 years ago, but look at how great they are!!! 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

It is what it is. Hopefully the players aren't scared of more competition. 

I believe you said something similar last season when I mentioned the Bucs as a formidable foe. And they end up winning the Super Bowl. At some point our team has to doing something bold to get over this hump. 

Just now, jetpac said:

I believe you said something similar last season when I mentioned the Bucs as a formidable foe. And they end up winning the Super Bowl. At some point our team has to doing something bold to get over this hump. 

What else am I supposed to say? I can't stop any team from signing or trading for a player and I can't stop a player from wanting to go to a certain team. Dam sho can't control what the Falcons do. 

55 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The money being shared covers about 2/3rds of the cost of running a team. Here is a quote from the Packers CEO and President Mark Murphy:

“Roughly two-thirds of our revenue is from the broadcasts, or national revenue, and that is enough to cover our player costs,” Murphy said. “So if you say we play an entire season without any fans, roughly we would still receive two-thirds of our revenue.”

Teams can also raise a lot of revenue through local sales as well. Which is where the other 1/3rd comes from. The NFL has tons of money and isn't looking to go down anytime soon. Goddell wants that $9.5 billion to be $20 billion soon.

But contracts also rise with the cap though. If the cap were say....$500M, players contracts would start to reflect that. Because from the players point of view, it would be 'well you have $500M to pay 53 of us, we should be paid more.' The only way to avoid this, would be to either eliminate the cap entirely (which won't happen) or give owners the ability to pay whatever they want, but it has to come out of their own pockets vs the league's shared revenue.....and that's a huge can of worms. 

1 minute ago, dirtybirds233 said:

But contracts also rise with the cap though. If the cap were say....$500M, players contracts would start to reflect that. Because from the players point of view, it would be 'well you have $500M to pay 53 of us, we should be paid more.' The only way to avoid this, would be to either eliminate the cap entirely (which won't happen) or give owners the ability to pay whatever they want, but it has to come out of their own pockets vs the league's shared revenue.....and that's a huge can of worms. 

Yeah, there is no easy way to fix it.  Parity makes the entire league financially stronger.  Otherwise, Jerry Jones and other deep pocket owners would just out spend everyone.  God knows half the country already wear Cowboys Jerseys.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Aren't the Saints in worse cap shape than we are?

As a trade the impact is much different.  The Seahawks will pay probably  half the contract.  Look at the Eagles who are paying nearly 35 million of Wentz contract this year.  Plus the Saints will send several great players over as part of the trade I assume

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

If they think his contract makes it next to impossible to win a SB with him, why not see what sort of package teams may offer?