Jump to content

Russell Wilson Trade Destination: Saints


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aren't the Saints in worse cap shape than we are?

I need great qbs to stop coming to our division. I do not approve of this. 

"How would you feel about Russell Wilson joining the @Saints?"

 

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Aren't the Saints in worse cap shape than we are?

A FAR worse cap situation. $70M over (that's including Drew Brees most recent restructure in prep for his retirement), and they're going to have to make some major cuts. 

Lattimore, Ramzyck, and Kwon Alexander all carry $0 dead cap and cutting or trading them would net the Saints $34M in space, yet they'd still be at $36M over. At that point, they'd have to MAX restructure their top 8 contracts just to get cap compliant, and it wouldn't even be enough to sign a draft class. 

So yeah....Russ ain't going to New Orleans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Why the **** would they trade Wilson?

This new idea that teams should unload their greatest players because of money is absurd. Fix the salary cap so teams can keep their great vets and not scrap their fortunes.

Yep. I posted something a while back that showed even the team that made the least amount of money per year in pre-COVID times was still making a profit the was double the team's expenses. There is not a single team in the NFL that cannot afford the cap to be significantly higher. If they don't want to raise the cap, they should at least offer fully guaranteed contracts & stop the charade of perceived value over actual dollars earned/spent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Why the **** would they trade Wilson?

This new idea that teams should unload their greatest players because of money is absurd. Fix the salary cap so teams can keep their great vets and not scrap their fortunes.

Not sure how they would fix it given the revenue sharing aspect of the NFL. In simple terms, part of the league revenue from the prior year is pooled together then divvied up between the 32 teams. That's all the owners can use for new contracts. The reason it can't be gone over is because from a financial standpoint, it would be seen as the NFL owing the franchise money. 

They could make it interesting by allowing owners themselves to pay X amount of players whatever they want, and putting a hard cap on the rest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, k-train said:

Yep. I posted something a while back that showed even the team that made the least amount of money per year in pre-COVID times was still making a profit the was double the team's expenses. There is not a single team in the NFL that cannot afford the cap to be significantly higher. If they don't want to raise the cap, they should at least offer fully guaranteed contracts & stop the charade of perceived value over actual dollars earned/spent.

The NFL is making money hand over fist. The TV contracts are about to come due and there is no doubt they will all be record breakers. Also the NFL does revenue sharing. In 2019 the league shared $9.5 billion dollars which comes out to about $296 million per team. Is there a possibility that the numbers were lower last year, yes. Does it mean that teams don't have access to lots of money, heck no.

Either raise the cap to a reasonable number so that fans don't lose superstars or make an adjustment for vet players so that they can live above the cap. This is a game for the fans let them enjoy the players they love.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...