Podcast: Draft Dudes - The Decision on QB2

25 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Everybody knows qb is the most important position on the field. You don't need fancy numbers to show that....the problem is being 20+ mil over the cap and then wanting to take pick 4 and their 7 million dollar salary and sit it on the bench. 

Either trade Ryan, rip the band-aid off and select a qb or keep ryan and don't take a qb. There's really not an in-between that doesnt set us back or hurt us long term

The thing is you just never know when you're going to have access to a top QB. If the Falcons didn't pick Ryan in 2008, it was really slim pickings the next couple years. There was only one good QB in 2009 and he went #1 overall. 2010 was a complete dud. There was only one really good QB in 2011, who also went #1 overall, and three pretty good QBs but not nearly as good as Ryan after that. It's hard to argue against picking a really good QB if one is available. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everybody knows qb is the most important position on the field. You don't need fancy numbers to show that....the problem is being 20+ mil over the cap and then wanting to take pick 4 and their 7 milli

Both of these QBs are such capable athletes I just salivate at the potential damage they can do in a Smith offense. Off script QB play is so important in this day and age of NFL football. I just hope

I tend to prefer Fields on upside alone, plus I think his frame is going to take an NFL game better than Wilson's. But the real problem is, neither is really NFL ready.  And you can't take a guy

1 minute ago, Summerhill said:

The thing is you just never know when you're going to have access to a top QB. If the Falcons didn't pick Ryan in 2008, it was really slim pickings the next couple years. There was only one good QB in 2009 and he went #1 overall. 2010 was a complete dud. There was only one really good QB in 2011, who also went #1 overall, and three pretty good QBs but not nearly as good as Ryan after that. It's hard to argue against picking a really good QB if one is available. 

I got no problems taking a qb. The problem I would have is hanging on to ryan in the process. Get his cap hit off the books asap, get some picks in return to continue to build a team and just start fresh. Don't use him as some 40 million dollar mentor. 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I got no problems taking a qb. The problem I would have is hanging on to ryan in the process. Get his cap hit off the books asap, get some picks in return to continue to build a team and just start fresh. Don't use him as some 40 million dollar mentor. 

I don't totally disagree. I could go either way with that. I don't know enough about the salary cap to say whether the team could even cut or trade him without his cap hit becoming too big to field the rest of the team. 

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Must suck being old you have no patience. Look we’re not winning a SB anytime soon lol, time to strap up bubba it’s gon be a long road ahead.

36 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

How is wanting to trade Ryan now and get max value for him while we can thinking in a 1 year increment? These other teams are cashing in on their qbs right now so somebody new can take over. They're not sitting their rookies on the bench. Get his cap hit out of the way now, not over a multi year span, and actually give the rookie a chance to have a team built around him

I would be for it but I see no indications the Falcons will do such a thing.   Also should be noted that Matt has maybe the highest cap hit in the league on one of the worst teams in league from salary cap standpoint.    I claim no expertise on the salary cap but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

9 hours ago, high impact said:

Trade down only if your guy is not at pick 4 and you get the picks you need to make the team better than at pick 4. The Falcons have to pick up a QB in the draft or FA. I don't know how they can afford to pick a QB in FA as no money for it at this time. I expect 2021 is a get over the cap hump year. 

Only QB we get is backup and developmental.

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Yeah, if we draft a QB in the top 10, we're saying goodbye to Ryan on June 1st (or earlier with the same designation).

But it's not something we're doing. We're only talking about it because some folks are obsessed with Groundhog Day.

22 hours ago, g-dawg said:

everything will be done for "what's better for the Falcons in the long run" - not "what's better for the Falcons in 2021".     You are thinking in a 1yr increment - TF isn't.

Interesting because for the last 5 years his actions have shown a repeated approach to 1 year increment BACKUP QBs.

Show me a QB that TF or AS has suggested as "must have draft picks" over the last 20 years and I will show you how they really think.

22 hours ago, g-dawg said:

everything will be done for "what's better for the Falcons in the long run" - not "what's better for the Falcons in 2021".     You are thinking in a 1yr increment - TF isn't.

he's actually quoted as saying 'short term AND long term' though. but only long term fits your 'draft Fields regardless of anything else' bromance

:)

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

he's actually quoted as saying 'short term AND long term' though. but only long term fits your 'draft Fields regardless of anything else' bromance

:)

Even long term, max they mentioned is 2023. TF and AS know if they don’t win in next two seasons there may not be 2024 or who knows 2023.

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Even long term, max they mentioned is 2023. TF and AS know if they don’t win in next two seasons there may not be 2024 or who knows 2023.

That's it.  You cannot mail something in by blowing this up.  Shoot, it wasn't but a few seasons ago, AB got Mercedes built.  You have to have people want to pay to go.  One "exciting" player does not do it, this isn't basketball.  A team has to win.  Period.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:48 PM, Summerhill said:

And a very legit chance this year again a very good QB will go 1 overall and nobody better than Ryan after that.

Then again there could be 3 great QBs from the class, but it’s unlikely when you look at draft history. I looked back and only a few times in recent history have 50%+ of the QB drafted in round one become franchise guys.

40 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

And a very legit chance this year again a very good QB will go 1 overall and nobody better than Ryan after that.

Then again there could be 3 great QBs from the class, but it’s unlikely when you look at draft history. I looked back and only a few times in recent history have 50%+ of the QB drafted in round one become franchise guys.

Yeah it's a fairly recent development from 2017 on where you have had a good run of QBs deemed good enough for a top 15 pick but not good enough to go #1 overall and still turn out to be really good. 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:10 AM, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

Must suck being old you have no patience. Look we’re not winning a SB anytime soon lol, time to strap up bubba it’s gon be a long road ahead.

Whose to say if we have patience and wait for the next guy he’s going to do anything.Why not deal in the no what you have stakes.I know for sure if Matt Ryan is in the right scheme with a running game and defense it’s game on.

I don’t have to wait for the next guy to develop and learn.

The future isn’t 2-3 years down the track it’s now.

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Part of this, though, is the team they land on, which is why it is so much more important to build the team, especially if you already have a QB.

If all you knew about Patrick Mahomes was from watching the Super Bowl, you wouldn't think he's that good.  26/49 for 270, 0 TDs and 2 picks.  QB rating of 52.3.  And all anybody remembers about Tom Brady is he won the Super Bowl 7 times.  Nobody remembers the pick 6 to Alford.  Nobody remembers he was 20/36 for 280, 3 TDs and 3 picks and a 73.8 QB rating against the Packers.  Rodgers, meanwhile, had a 101.6 QB rating against the Bucs, but nobody remembers because that Tampa defense just went off.

"Great" QBs rarely play for crap teams.  It ain't like Barry Sanders playing for the Lions but he's so good nobody cares his team is bad.  The QB gets all the credit and all the blame.  Ryan outplayed Brady in the Super Bowl.  We still lost.  Nobody remembers.

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

exactly, besides the fact AB isn't getting any younger, coach only signed a 3 year contract

On 2/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, Mister pudding said:

If that's the case, I wouldn't take one at all.

"Hope is not a plan."  -Mr. Pudding

Great point.  Do all of your homework & have a plan in place.  Then have backup plans in place for draft scenarios that could crop up, even if unlikely.  

The draft is wild.  You many not think something could happen but desperation causes some teams to do things that you didn't anticipate.  

If I were a GM, I would probably call every GM in the NFL & have a what if convo about potential business moves on draft day.  You might learn a few things.  Come draft day, you might say to yourself, huh, this is exactly what John Lynch & I were discussing a few weeks ago & boom...

On 2/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, g-dawg said:

Draft Dudes:  The Decision on QB2 (podcast)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/draft-dudes--the-decision-on-qb2

Very good listen and breakdown of Zach Wilson versus Justin Fields and who is the better prospect.   If he falls into Falcons lap at #4,  you take him.

ESPN predicts the Texans will draft Ohio State QB Justin Fields

Why does he throw like that? 

On 2/25/2021 at 6:19 AM, g-dawg said:

Draft Dudes:  The Decision on QB2 (podcast)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/draft-dudes--the-decision-on-qb2

Very good listen and breakdown of Zach Wilson versus Justin Fields and who is the better prospect.   If he falls into Falcons lap at #4,  you take him.

ESPN predicts the Texans will draft Ohio State QB Justin Fields

Let me spell it out to you- The Falcons will not draft anyone of those QB and they will invest all the resources to build the trenches and the running game. They will run the team just like how they functioned in New Orleans and how the Bucs did with Brady. The Falcons don’t have the luxury to pick up a back-up QB at #4 and with so many holes in the roster. 

Once again, The Falcons will not draft any of those hyped up QBs. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

like what?

I don’t know it’s just In the picture his release looks kind of excessive in his load. That point in his load looks like he has to loop it back around to get to his release point. Must’ve been a far throw but it just looks odd. Don’t take my nitpicking of Fields as a slight I just overanalyze prospects with huge potential. It’s kind of fun.