Offseason storylines: Capped-out Falcons face difficult offseason

49 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

“I think everything is in consideration....We’re going to have to make some hard decisions on some players on this roster.”

~Terry Fontenot

Alternate title for this thread could be:   "New Falcons GM Terry Fontenot Takes a Swipe at former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff".     Because that's exactly what Fontenot just -did-.   And that's fine by me.

48 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

These clowns saying they don't even know if Matt Ryan wants to be here... C'mon. We know **** well Matt would want to retire here. 

Put some respect on his name. 

This franchise can't win with anyone on the roster from 28-3.... blah blah blah.... Get out of here

Cowherd is making like its the players' fault we lost that game.   

All the coaches are gone, that's what  we really needed.   Keeping Ulbricht would have been ok, though.....

Edited by egoprime II
3 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Cowherd is making like its the players' fault we lost that game.   

All the coaches are gone, that' what  we really needed.   Keeping Ulbricht would have been ok, though.....

Wouldn't have been mad at Ulbrich sticking around either brother, but I do believe at this point, it was good to get rid of any regime associated with that team. Let's start fresh with some new blood. To your point. 28-3 wasn't on the players (well maybe the defense). There were some bonehead coaching mistakes that really cost us. 

15 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Wouldn't have been mad at Ulbrich sticking around either brother, but I do believe at this point, it was good to get rid of any regime associated with that team. Let's start fresh with some new blood. To your point. 28-3 wasn't on the players (well maybe the defense). There were some bonehead coaching mistakes that really cost us. 

I'm with you..... except the defense part.  

Our D was on the field for what, 96 plays, OT included?   Our offense ran about 62 or 63 plays.   There are times when you run the ball just to keep the clock running, and keep the D off the field.  Falcons failed to do this, because the coaches were not up to closing the deal.    Our D simply got wore out.

1 minute ago, OrthoPTSD said:

And I was partying like game was over BTW

Oh same. Most embarrassing day of my life. At a huge Superbowl Party in SD with 50 people I didn't know and most Pats fans. I was drunk acting an *** jumpin on couches. Then found myself after the game at a bar by myself with tears in my eyes slamming shots. Worst day ever man.

7 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

7 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

As cynical and critical as I can be about the Falcons,  as much as this team has proven to be almost completely dysfunctional in the past..... even I thought the Falcons were going to win that game.

Can't blame anyone for thinking so, after all.... Quinn had only showed some signs of how completely over his head he was, as an NFL HC.   We really did not know about him until later.

2 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Oh same. Most embarrassing day of my life. At a huge Superbowl Party in SD with 50 people I didn't know and most Pats fans. I was drunk acting an *** jumpin on couches. Then found myself after the game at a bar by myself with tears in my eyes slamming shots. Worst day ever man.

HAhah classic. I refused to go to a party after 1998 SB. Betting 500 bucks -7.5 when I was a degenerate in my early 20s. 

28-3, yeesh ATL had been beating everyone like this leading up to SB. Me and wife went to the GB beating to go to SB. ATL was rocking (Im Savannah guy so really enjoyed, you could walk down shady streets downtown and if you were down with Falcons everyone was a bro)

At half time I i went into a LONG diatribe about how ATL was about to win SB, game in hand. Needless to say i had to go in back yard and lay down on ground for about an hour after loss. Wife would call out to me and check if I was OK.

Crazy that you could intensively just see it coming after Alford TD.

3 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

HAhah classic. I refused to go to a party after 1998 SB. Betting 500 bucks -7.5 when I was a degenerate in my early 20s. 

28-3, yeesh ATL had been beating everyone like this leading up to SB. Me and wife went to the GB beating to go to SB. ATL was rocking (Im Savannah guy so really enjoyed, you could walk down shady streets downtown and if you were down with Falcons everyone was a bro)

At half time I i went into a LONG diatribe about how ATL was about to win SB, game in hand. Needless to say i had to go in back yard and lay down on ground for about an hour after loss. Wife would call out to me and check if I was OK.

Crazy that you could intensively just see it coming after Alford TD.

Absolutely. I was drunk. But felt the meltdown in the 3rd. It was a night to forget!

38 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Man that day was terrible. I’ve had high blood pressure ever since

18 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

“I think everything is in consideration....We’re going to have to make some hard decisions on some players on this roster.”

~Terry Fontenot

Not only are the Falcons capped out, but they also rank 32nd (dead last) for players under contract in each of the next two years.  I just don’t understand how people don’t see that TD left a mess.  No money, no players....but ppl think you’re a troll for thinking we are not in great shape

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Not only are the Falcons capped out, but they also rank 32nd (dead last) for players under contract in each of the next two years.  I just don’t understand how people don’t see that TD left a mess.  

They’re too busy getting their hopes up for next year.

11 hours ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

They’re too busy getting their hopes up for next year.

I mean, as fans, we are allowed to have rose colored expectations....but don’t blindly keep your head in the sand.  

Our roster has been unbalanced and overwhelmingly top heavy since 2016.  It is completely obvious yet I keep seeing the same generic statements: “it’s not a big deal”, “the cap is fake news”, “we can sign whoever we want”, “having no money and half the players under contract as most other

teams is no big deal”  or some other nonsense.  Makes it tough to have legitimate conversation sometimes.

4zjcod.jpg

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, as fans, we are allowed to have rose colored expectations....but don’t blindly keep your head in the sand.  

Our roster has been unbalanced and overwhelmingly top heavy since 2016.  It is completely obvious yet I keep seeing the same generic statements: “it’s not a big deal”, “the cap is fake news”, “we can sign whoever we want”, “having no money and half the players under contract as most other

teams is no big deal”  or some other nonsense.  Makes it tough to have legitimate conversation sometimes.

4zjcod.jpg

And yet since 2016 the Falcons have managed to field a team and add talent through FA when warranted.

Teams do this all the time the real discussion is looking at these numbers is what it’s says it is now it doesn’t take into the fact what a team can do to free up money.

So why worry about a fluent situation that can change at the flick of a pen.That’s why I don’t worry about it never have.

I worry about things that actually mean something that don’t cost anything like **** coaching.Why not have a real discussion about that.This matters more than a bunch of numbers that can be moved on paper.

The kicker to this whole cap discussion is if it was sticking to projections since everyone of these cap worriers likes to moan about what was the cap projection before COVID 200-210 mill.How would we have looked then if we had the 210 number and no COVID.

Finally no one would give a flying FARK about the cap if we were winning no one would care.For me it’s just another pissant excuse to moan about something.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

And yet since 2016 the Falcons have managed to field a team and add talent through FA when warranted.

Teams do this all the time the real discussion is looking at these numbers is what it’s says it is now it doesn’t take into the fact what a team can do to free up money.

So why worry about a fluent situation that can change at the flick of a pen.That’s why I don’t worry about it never have.

I worry about things that actually mean something that don’t cost anything like **** coaching.Why not have a real discussion about that.This matters more than a bunch of numbers that can be moved on paper.

The kicker to this whole cap discussion is if it was sticking to projections since everyone of these cap worriers likes to moan about what was the cap projection before COVID 200-210 mill.How would we have looked then if we had the 210 number and no COVID.

Finally no one would give a flying FARK about the cap if we were winning no one would care.For me it’s just another pissant excuse to moan about something.

Kiwi you’re better than this rambling of if if if. The cap isn’t just some crybaby excuse fans choose to cry about to push their own narratives.
The cap heavily dictates how a roster is structured while the guaranteed money dictates the direction in which you look to manage new acquisitions and keep pace with the cap ceiling. Its not just an imaginary force that will go away if we numb our eyes and close our mind to it. The approach to how you view the cap is important if you’re a GM.

The way a lot of tatf members see the cap is neck and neck with how TD saw it. Remnants of his mindset is still strong with guys like you. Its not 2016 anymore. Time to wake up from that nightmare.

11 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Edited by Cole World