23.2% of Ryan career starts : Opponent scores 30+ points

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Why is that whenever a QB wants to move to a new team because they don't like their current situation, they're a "diva"

Why aren't all players who want a trade divas?

Eh I usually call them divas too. Watson was 100% aware of his situation before he signed that contract. He chose the money.

6 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Why is that whenever a QB wants to move to a new team because they don't like their current situation, they're a "diva"

Why aren't all players who want a trade divas?

Devil's Advocate, the QB is arguably the face of the organization and "the most important position in sports."  They are bound to take a fair amount of grief when they themselves have grievances.  Our society loves to hate success.

5 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Devil's Advocate, the QB is arguably the face of the organization and "the most important position in sports."  They are bound to take a fair amount of grief when they themselves have grievances.  Our society loves to hate success.

Ehh, I guess. They deserve the chance to argue for a better position as much as any other player at any other position

4 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Interesting you take this as a 'defend' Matt thread? I'm simply sharing some information I found on Twitter concerning a player on our team. I added nothing to the post that wasn't in the original tweet.

No hate towards your thread thanks for providing the info. What do you take from the info provided? All those qbs have won super bowls With simular or better supporting cast.

8 minutes ago, red falcon said:

No hate towards your thread thanks for providing the info. What do you take from the info provided? All those qbs have won super bowls With simular or better supporting cast.

Not sure I have a real take beyond Matt plays well enough to be in these interesting little stat clusters that contain successful QBs. I'm old enough to remember 'journeymen' QBs winning SBs so I've never exactly bought into the idea the QB is the major vector of success for a SB win.

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Not sure I have a real take beyond Matt plays well enough to be in these interesting little stat clusters that contain successful QBs. I'm old enough to remember 'journeymen' QBs winning SBs so I've never exactly bought into the idea the QB is the major vector of success for a SB win.

For sure. Im all about building team. Let the carry the qb not the other way. I wonder if it can be done in this nfl now.

23 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Barry McCockiner

@UltraWeedHater

·

Feb 17

Percentage of career starts where opponent scored 30 or more points:

DREW BREES: 27.0%

AARON RODGERS: 23.8%

MATT RYAN: 23.2%

PEYTON MANNING: 18.2%

TOM BRADY: 14.0%

So in other words you are in the "Matt Ryan is not the problem" camp.

Matt Ryan as a player isn't a problem. He has reached his ceiling. He isn't going to get better. But he is also a decent starting QB. He is a good QB being paid elite QB money, especially WHEN he was signed. His contract is A problem. A big one.

Edited by Intellectually Honest
41 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

So in other words you are in the "Matt Ryan is not the problem" camp.

Matt Ryan as a player isn't a problem. He has reached his ceiling. He isn't going to get better. But he is also a decent starting QB. He is a good QB being paid elite QB money, especially WHEN he was signed. His contract is A problem. A big one.

Why do I have to be in a 'camp'? I'm not suiting up to fight a civil war over Matt Ryan.

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Why do I have to be in a 'camp'? I'm not suiting up to fight a civil war over Matt Ryan.

So you take things too literal also. Obviously it just means that is the side you are taking. You are trying to argue he isn't "the" problem which a lot of supporters assume people are trying to argue against Ryan. It is not Ryan. It is his contract. I don't blame Ryan. I blame the people who panicked when they over payed him since teams are in a salary cap situation. This would not even be an issue if there was no cap. Teams artificially limited spending as an excuse to limit the amount of money they paid collectively to players.

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Ice up son. 'cause I am.

Matt Ryan is an elite QB who has been held in check (I'm not saying held back looking at the incompetence of a lot of other NFL organizations) by the Falcons for most of his career.

If given an half decent Oline and a mediocre defense Ryan will take you to the playoffs.

Add in a scheme that uses his strengths (play action/no huddle) you're talking NFCCG/SB

Upgrade any of the before mentioned variables and you're talking a ring.

Yes people, the formula is that ******* simple*.

*barring injuries

2 hours ago, red falcon said:

It's not coincidence that the 'elite' QB's near Ryan's percentage only have one SB while the ones better than Ryan have multiples. Ryan should have one too but we all know how that went. If Ryan, Rodgers, or Brees had better defenses throughout their careers they'd have the rings like Brady and the Mannings. 

8 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

It's not coincidence that the 'elite' QB's near Ryan's percentage only have one SB while the ones better than Ryan have multiples. Ryan should have one too but we all know how that went. If Ryan, Rodgers, or Brees had better defenses throughout their careers they'd have the rings like Brady and the Mannings. 

Rogers should have been in the super bowl this year. Saints team was good enough to go also.

I get it though. Seems teams outside of Patriots build around elite qb. I can see why they would it. Why pay them that much and not give them weapons? Nature of the beast. 

Edited by red falcon
36 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

So you take things too literal also. Obviously it just means that is the side you are taking. You are trying to argue he isn't "the" problem which a lot of supporters assume people are trying to argue against Ryan. It is not Ryan. It is his contract. I don't blame Ryan. I blame the people who panicked when they over payed him since teams are in a salary cap situation. This would not even be an issue if there was no cap. Teams artificially limited spending as an excuse to limit the amount of money they paid collectively to players.

You seem to think there's some kind of competition happening in this forum that is simply absent in my post. I'm a big believer that there are multiple ways to success for the Atlanta Falcons. In some of them Matt Ryan is actively involved, and in others he is not.

I've been watching this team since the 70s so I've gotten used to players coming and going. I'll admit I like Matt, but if we traded him tomorrow I'll be rooting for the next guy that takes his place. If that happens hopefully the next guy will have a defense that holds people below 30 points more than Matt's did.