The ETF and Stonks thread (no advice at all)

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

As mentioned in the other thread, Doge blasted off yesterday. Nobody knows why either lol. I didn’t think it would ever go back over .08. Analysts are even talking like it doesn’t make sense, maybe it goes to a dollar who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂

Some folks have had some serious gains on that one.

I love Doge. I threw $10 before it was at a penny. For $10, I got 1101 coins. That's worth $403 when I just checked.

Do I think I'll get rich off of a meme? With the way crypto is, who knows. All these people talking market caps, etc, none of that matters. Look at Bitcoin. It was worthless 10 years ago, $63k the other day.

None of it makes sense, but I took my $10 and flipped it to a $550-600 Robinhood account, so it's all gains. As long as I don't lose the initial $10, I'm good.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I put in an order for 257,000 shares for an oil company at .0004. I too like to throw money away. Lol. 

Bought more of my ETFs today. Passive boring investing   waiting until 3/10 for my gambling RBLX fun.

Roblox having the staying power it has had will always be weird to me. My kids have played it for years now, although less now but still playing. I haven’t played it myself but I’ve watched and helped

On 4/14/2021 at 10:42 PM, revrndzombie said:

Anyone else still holding GME/AMC? 

On another note; just started trading SPY options. I took 500 bucks and set aside for this. Ill keep you posted on how it goes. If I lose the 500 im out; if it works Ill buy a jet. Most likely it will be a very slow descent to 0. 

My hot long termers right now are still RIGL and a Ford 7 dollar LEAP for 2023. 

I’m still holding GME and AMC.  It’s been a fun ride.  People YOLOing still is crazy, but it’s still a fun personal play money ride.  

I am trying to increase my boring money funds and decrease my fun money.  Sold some RBLX for a small profit and may move the cash to boring long term ETFs (VTI AND VYM)

5 hours ago, lostone said:

I’m still holding GME and AMC.  It’s been a fun ride.  People YOLOing still is crazy, but it’s still a fun personal play money ride.  

I am trying to increase my boring money funds and decrease my fun money.  Sold some RBLX for a small profit and may move the cash to boring long term ETFs (VTI AND VYM)

smart. Im still holding those for a while just to join the excitement. Small positions in each. The YOLOing is either complete lies or just insane. I think its an example of online echo chambers. I have seen people saying those would go to a million per share which is nuts (ill take it but cmon).  

We have to have a market correction coming at some point so I am with you on moving funds to boring money. Looking for some ETFs and high dividend stocks that I can afford enough of to get the dividend AND monthly covered calls off of. 

I guess you missed the Dogecoin boat? Congrats to the people who were on it!

6 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I love Doge. I threw $10 before it was at a penny. For $10, I got 1101 coins. That's worth $403 when I just checked.

Do I think I'll get rich off of a meme? With the way crypto is, who knows. All these people talking market caps, etc, none of that matters. Look at Bitcoin. It was worthless 10 years ago, $63k the other day.

None of it makes sense, but I took my $10 and flipped it to a $550-600 Robinhood account, so it's all gains. As long as I don't lose the initial $10, I'm good.

Yeah crypto is weird to predict. The market cap stuff some folks like to harp on isn’t the end all argument they think. These are not stocks.

Here’s a good video about Dogecoin with Charles Hoskinson, who is one of the guys that originally developed Ethereum and is now developing Cardano (full disclosure: Cardano ADA is my favorite crypto and I hold a lot of it).

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve dumped all tech stocks and I’m fully invested in reopen ETFs and stocks.  

In addition to my holdings that I stated before.

I added to XLE and MSOS.  These are both adds on any pullbacks.

Started a substantial position in the following.

TAP

BUD

FTI

CPRI

CLF

Edited by MoeBiden

I am putting more of our portfolio into boring ETFs with about 75% going to the total stock market type ETFs and 25% being split in other sectors.  Fun money I am looking for opportunities to drop some of these funds and move them into more of the total market.  I would like 10% to be fun money, right now I am at about 50% and that is wrong.

15 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Doge is still heading up...

I’m starting to get the hang of these meme stocks to see a pattern.  Buy the rise for two days then sell during the initial hype.  MVIS definitely had this pattern.  

VXX is the gut punch or my portfolio.  Lost a lot of money there waiting for a recession 

1 hour ago, lostone said:

I’m starting to get the hang of these meme stocks to see a pattern.  Buy the rise for two days then sell during the initial hype.  MVIS definitely had this pattern.  

VXX is the gut punch or my portfolio.  Lost a lot of money there waiting for a recession 

I'm holding, only because I bought so cheap. I'm at 1200 coins right now. I'll keep holding, simply because the pattern of buying low and selling one it gets high, then buying the dip will result in a drop in overall holding. I might as well hold.

Perfect scenario, however unlikely that is, they would get to a value that allows me to sell a handful to accomplish some goal. I don't think it's likely (more like very, very, very unlikely), but lets say it hit something like $1000 each. At that point, you can basically use it like a checking account. Need money for a downpayment on a car? Sell 20 dogecoins. Want to take a vacation? Sell 3-4. It's super unlikely that it hits that point, I'm a realist, so I recognize that. But, people said the same about Bitcoin, and one of my devs legit bought his Model S with Bitcoin (he cashed) and has the cash for his pre-ordered cybertruck sitting in a wallet on a HDD.

If we've learned anything with the crypto market, it's that we really can't predict what this will look like in a few years. While everyone likes to contribute the rise of Doge to Musk or anyone else doing something outlandish, the fact is, there are real world drivers to the price increase. Like the Oakland A's accepting it as payment for seats. Stuff like that will drive the price up.

23 hours ago, lostone said:

I'm not sure about VXX, but I know UVXY has rolling fees and it's long term value is negative.  is there a rolling fee for holding VXX?  

1 hour ago, MoeBiden said:

I'm not sure about VXX, but I know UVXY has rolling fees and it's long term value is negative.  is there a rolling fee for holding VXX?  

Honestly not sure.  I just wanted a stock that followed market volatility.  To hedge my portfolio against market loss

Honestly not sure.  I just wanted a stock that followed market volatility.  To hedge my portfolio against market loss

have you ever looked at inverse ETF's?  They don't track volatility, just certain sectors.  I like the proshares for hedging.

https://www.proshares.com/funds/geared/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhMmEBhBwEiwAXwFoEfivB9h_FVNM0cJQvFV2uUwHG_2s--Ph0gY60SNd4AlYKoWVdqnHPhoCXIQQAvD_BwE

2 hours ago, MoeBiden said:

Just now, MoeBiden said:

have you ever looked at inverse ETF's?  They don't track volatility, just certain sectors.  I like the proshares for hedging.

https://www.proshares.com/funds/geared/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhMmEBhBwEiwAXwFoEfivB9h_FVNM0cJQvFV2uUwHG_2s--Ph0gY60SNd4AlYKoWVdqnHPhoCXIQQAvD_BwE

I'm currently hedging my XLE and SU (oil) options with SCO.

well gents. After a couple of weeks of day trading SPY options; I thought I'd update my progress. 

Started with 500 bucks just to see if it worked. After one week 1 was up 10%.. 550 bucks!

Week 2. Made another 2 percent or so. 

Last week. Went from 570ish down to 130 in a blink. That was my last day trying to day trade options. 

Let me know if anyone wants me to teach you to daytrade. As you can see from my advanced reverse gains, its pretty lucrative. 

One a separate note; Ive started tossing a few bucks into crypto. Cardano ADA seems pretty legit. Still learning about it but, from what I have read, it looks like a really solid long term play. I dont have a large position in it but I am planning to toss any free cash I have at it and hope to figure out staking in the near future. Might toss a little money at Ethereum too. 

Im still new so I am using coinbase. But, coinbase seems pretty cool so far. I got like 50 some dollars worth of free crypto by watching videos about some currencies. 

9 hours ago, revrndzombie said:

well gents. After a couple of weeks of day trading SPY options; I thought I'd update my progress. 

Started with 500 bucks just to see if it worked. After one week 1 was up 10%.. 550 bucks!

Week 2. Made another 2 percent or so. 

Last week. Went from 570ish down to 130 in a blink. That was my last day trying to day trade options. 

Let me know if anyone wants me to teach you to daytrade. As you can see from my advanced reverse gains, its pretty lucrative. 

One a separate note; Ive started tossing a few bucks into crypto. Cardano ADA seems pretty legit. Still learning about it but, from what I have read, it looks like a really solid long term play. I dont have a large position in it but I am planning to toss any free cash I have at it and hope to figure out staking in the near future. Might toss a little money at Ethereum too. 

Im still new so I am using coinbase. But, coinbase seems pretty cool so far. I got like 50 some dollars worth of free crypto by watching videos about some currencies. 

So I’m looking for content on options trading.  Did some deep diving into it and want to make sure I’m not going to put myself into weird situations.  I just want to buy 90day call and put options and sell them well before expiration.  My problem is terminology.  So to sell the contract on hand I am supposed to close my position.  I just really wanted someone on the internet to explain that part a bit to me.  As of right now if I wanted to do an option trade, I could only do 1 covered call on AMC.  I just want to trade contracts as of now and that is it.

6 hours ago, lostone said:

So I’m looking for content on options trading.  Did some deep diving into it and want to make sure I’m not going to put myself into weird situations.  I just want to buy 90day call and put options and sell them well before expiration.  My problem is terminology.  So to sell the contract on hand I am supposed to close my position.  I just really wanted someone on the internet to explain that part a bit to me.  As of right now if I wanted to do an option trade, I could only do 1 covered call on AMC.  I just want to trade contracts as of now and that is it.

Yes. Covered calls are the way to go. Check out tastytrade. They have a whole course you can take for free. 

The short version of covered calls is:

1. pick the strike price you wouldn't mind selling the shares for if the price were to jump. So if its amc and you have 100 shares that you bought at 9 bucks; pick a price that is higher than that where you would be ok selling your shares if it were to jump. I try and pick prices that are pretty high. You get less money but you can do it every month and have less risk of losing shares (if its shares you want to hold on to). 

2. Pick a date. For covered calls, I recommend doing somewhere around monthly. Longer than that and you can end up holding shares only to be called out of them later. Shorter than that you end up with a low premium. 

3. The part that got me was the terminology and executing the sale. You pick "sell to open">choose strike price and date>choose price (limit, market etc). 

Note: If you have 100 shares, just do 1 option contract. 

Once you get that rolling, then you can do cash secured puts on stocks you want to buy; which is the same thing but in reverse. 

THEN, and I highly recommend this, you can convince yourself to trade SPY options and watch your money disappear. 

Covered calls and cash secured puts are the way. Safe, reliable, and money coming in versus money going out. 

Sold some of my AMC shares today.  Dropped out at $13 they got up to $14 today.  Now I will just wait for the next dip and buy some more shares again.  I went ahead and took a $3.50 loss per share on 91 shares and took a nice profit on my $7.80 shares.  Now all I’m left with are the $7.80 shares.  Just waiting for the next dip. Looking to get out of GME as well

3 hours ago, lostone said:

Sold some of my AMC shares today.  Dropped out at $13 they got up to $14 today.  Now I will just wait for the next dip and buy some more shares again.  I went ahead and took a $3.50 loss per share on 91 shares and took a nice profit on my $7.80 shares.  Now all I’m left with are the $7.80 shares.  Just waiting for the next dip. Looking to get out of GME as well

I didnt even know my AMC shares could turn green until today. Im sure Ill hold them like a moron until they go red again. 

GME is GME. I'll sell a few if it ever passes me by again, but I am a bit intrigued with what the company is doing. Ignoring all the hype and nonsense, I could see the turnaround being an interesting play. Im not well versed enough to understand the squeeze potential. I understand how it works, but its hard to imagine it (or AMC) going to astronomical numbers... I just dont buy that someone wouldn't step in and protect those fragile billionaires from losing money

9 minutes ago, revrndzombie said:

I didnt even know my AMC shares could turn green until today. Im sure Ill hold them like a moron until they go red again. 

GME is GME. I'll sell a few if it ever passes me by again, but I am a bit intrigued with what the company is doing. Ignoring all the hype and nonsense, I could see the turnaround being an interesting play. Im not well versed enough to understand the squeeze potential. I understand how it works, but its hard to imagine it (or AMC) going to astronomical numbers... I just dont buy that someone wouldn't step in and protect those fragile billionaires from losing money

I may buy an in the money call option for AMC and exercise it.  Maybe at an $8 strike price.  But that may cost me a bit up front to obtain.