TF: Matt Ryan made the Falcons Job so Attractive!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What else could he say in a F2F meeting with the cameras on? "Hey Matt, you suck but nice to meet you! Be on the lookout for a trade here soon bud" Not saying what he said isn't true, But of

He made the job attractive because he has such great trade value. /purp

What did ESPN say before the hiring? Falcons HC and GM were least attractive because of Ryan and Julio cap problems.   

4 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it doesn't change the fact of the original sentence. Without restructuring Ryan, we'll have just enough money to pay for our draft class (assuming we restructure others) which will result in a roster that doesn't meet league minimum requirements. Without restructuring anyone, it is literally impossible to become cap compliant in 2021. 

So yes, the madness needs to stop at some point, but we don't have a choice this offseason but to continue it. 

I sincerely hope you're wrong, because they have to put the brakes on this situation asap.

18 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I sincerely hope you're wrong, because they have to put the brakes on this situation asap.

It's the reality of our situation. The only major moves left on the roster would be cutting Carpenter and trading Fowler, yet we'd still be $7M over the cap and 15 players short of a full roster. So yes, we have to restructure some contracts. 

But it's not all bad. Restructuring our top 4 contracts leaves us with plenty of cap space in 2022. 

Without restructures (assuming Fowler is traded and Carpenter is cut): 

2021 Cap Space: $(7M)

2022 Cap Space: $80M

With restructures:

2021 Cap Space: $33M

2022 Cap Space: $60M

Edited by dirtybirds233
4 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

It's the reality of our situation. The only major moves left on the roster would be cutting Carpenter and trading Fowler, yet we'd still be $7M over the cap and 15 players short of a full roster. So yes, we have to restructure some contracts. 

But it's not all bad. Restructuring our top 4 contracts leaves us with plenty of cap space in 2022. 

With restructures:

Nice.

Almost everything AS and TF say between now and the draft about what they value, what they want, what their strategy is...is a lie.  They are trying to not give away anything, they want to make the #4 pick as valuable as possible and if teams think there is no chance they take a QB, the pick becomes less valuable because they could just trade to 6 instead of 4.  Even if they know Ryan is their guy for the next few years there is zero chance anyone comes out and says Ryan is the future or anything of that nature so they don’t give away their hand.  

This happens every year where a GM will say something and it’s a boring time news wise so everything gets put under a microscope and dissected and 95% of it is BS.  It’s fun to talk about, but take it all with a grain of salt and don’t argue over it because you think you know what they are going to do.  We never had a clue what TD was going to do after 13 years, we sure as **** have no idea what this regime is thinking right now.

On 2/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, Snafu said:

Nobody cares what he’s getting paid. We only care about his cap hit.

I think everybody understands how we got here. We kicked the can down the road for the last several years, his cap hits were minimal for a QB of his caliber and now the chickens have come home to roost in the form of his cap hits more than doubling for the next couple of years.

Nope. Kicking the can down the road with Ryan’s contract had very little to do with “how we got here”. 

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Nope. Kicking the can down the road with Ryan’s contract had very little to do with “how we got here”. 

From what I can tell we restructured him in both 2019 and 2020, which increased his cap hits by around $6M this year and $7M next year. 

By "how we got here", I was only referring Matt's $40+M cap hits for the next 2 years. Not the teams overall Salary cap issues. That comes from making some poor FA signings and, IMO, grossly overpaying Jake Matthews.

Edited by Snafu
3 hours ago, Snafu said:

From what I can tell we restructured him in both 2019 and 2020, which increased his cap hits by around $6M this year and $7M next year. 

By "how we got here", I was only referring Matt's $40+M cap hits for the next 2 years. Not the teams overall Salary cap issues. That comes from making some poor FA signings and, IMO, grossly overpaying Jake Matthews.

I’ll never understand the Jake Matthew’s hate, he’s quietly a top 5-10 LT in the league every year, yet fans remember one holding call in the super bowl and that’s it.  

On 2/27/2021 at 6:07 PM, Rings said:

Almost everything AS and TF say between now and the draft about what they value, what they want, what their strategy is...is a lie.  They are trying to not give away anything, they want to make the #4 pick as valuable as possible and if teams think there is no chance they take a QB, the pick becomes less valuable because they could just trade to 6 instead of 4.  Even if they know Ryan is their guy for the next few years there is zero chance anyone comes out and says Ryan is the future or anything of that nature so they don’t give away their hand.  

This happens every year where a GM will say something and it’s a boring time news wise so everything gets put under a microscope and dissected and 95% of it is BS.  It’s fun to talk about, but take it all with a grain of salt and don’t argue over it because you think you know what they are going to do.  We never had a clue what TD was going to do after 13 years, we sure as **** have no idea what this regime is thinking right now.

Exactly I’m still trying to work out what BPA means because like you say I got no idea how TF grades it or thinks.

Alot of TATF just go off the big boards Kiper McShay and alike.

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

Did everyone miss the poor coaching of this team the last 4 years.

Yet the caps the reason we are here good lord it’s painful everything else but whats staring you in the face.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:15 AM, dirtybirds233 said:

With restructures:

What about extending Jarrett & Debo.

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Exactly I’m still trying to work out what BPA means because like you say I got no idea how TF grades it or thinks.

Exactly, they also act like there is no way a certain thing could happen because they haven’t seen it in a mock draft yet.  Weird how in McShay’s latest big board Surtain drops two spots from 7-9 and Farley shoots up from 18-10.  Highly doubt either did anything to warrant this move other than he probably has them as CB 1a and 1b and needed them closer together.  Take boards with a grain of salt, this stuff happens a lot.  Kiper actually called him out for this on their podcast and McShay wasn’t even on it that episode lol.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, dirtybirds233 said:

With restructures:

restructuring our top 4 contracts is a recipe for disaster.

you cannot restructure Matt & Julio - kicking that can down the road and increasing future cap hits with players that are already on the backside now and will get worse later - will guarantee even worse problems in the future when you need to move on from these players.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, dirtybirds233 said:

With restructures:

I have a couple of questions regarding the trading Fowler stuff..

#1. What do you actually expect to get in trade for him after his 3 sack season?

#2. Is eating that cap hit worth the risk/reward as to how he may play under a Pees defense and when healthy

#3. Who in the balls do you have to replace him anyway??

10 hours ago, Rings said:

I’ll never understand the Jake Matthew’s hate, he’s quietly a top 5-10 LT in the league every year, yet fans remember one holding call in the super bowl and that’s it.  

Two. The one that costed us the FG after the onside kick recovery and the one later in the game that everyone remembers. 

If we get that first FG we go up 31-9 meaning they cant kick a FG on their next drive. Would have been 4th and Goal from the 15 likely ending the game. Instead because we did not get the FG, they could take one and bring it to 2 scores. 

43 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

you cannot restructure Matt & Julio - kicking that can down the road and increasing future cap hits with players that are already on the backside now and will get worse later - will guarantee even worse problems in the future when you need to move on from these players.

Okay - then find me a solution where we are both cap compliant and have a full roster without restructuring Matt and Julio. 

35 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Two. The one that costed us the FG after the onside kick recovery and the one later in the game that everyone remembers. 

If we get that first FG we go up 31-9 meaning they cant kick a FG on their next drive. Would have been 4th and Goal from the 15 likely ending the game. Instead because we did not get the FG, they could take one and bring it to 2 scores. 

I get it, he had a few rough plays, every player does.  People hold onto things way too long.  There are 100 different things in that game players and coaches could have done differently to solidify a win, that doesn’t make them bad.  Jake has been one of the least penalized left tackles per snap over the last three years.  People learn and grow.  Bringing in a rookie to replace him resets that and we go through all those pain points again.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Teams do this all the time and then add on dummy years at the end of the contract to spread the money out over a few years that players are never intended to see....happens all the time. 

2 hours ago, Rings said:

Exactly, they also act like there is no way a certain thing could happen because they haven’t seen it in a mock draft yet.  Weird how in McShay’s latest big board Surtain drops two spots from 7-9 and Farley shoots up from 18-10.  Highly doubt either did anything to warrant this move other than he probably has them as CB 1a and 1b and needed them closer together.  Take boards with a grain of salt, this stuff happens a lot.  Kiper actually called him out for this on their podcast and McShay wasn’t even on it that episode lol.

Belichek said years ago that the board the Patriots have, and probably most worthwhile teams have is usually very different from the talking heads in the media.  Teams assess players based on many things, some have nothing to do with actual game tape.  Potential and skillsets can be hard to diagnose unless you are looking for them.  

The fans see flash for the most part, the media need hits on their content.  Teams need players for their systems to function correctly.  

1 hour ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Extending both for 3 years saves us only $2M in cap space in 2021. That is assuming the extension is based on their current market values and $0 signing bonus. 

by Tori McElhaney for The Athletic

There likely aren’t many people who envy new Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot this offseason.

With limited salary cap space, a significant lack of depth and some big needs to fill via the draft and free agency, the Falcons in a tough spot heading into the 2021 season. Fontenot and new coach Arthur Smith have their work cut out for them.

Here is a look at the 10 biggest decisions Fontenot and Smith will have to make in the coming months:

Restructure Grady Jarrett’s contract

With two years left on his current contract and at 27 years old, Jarrett is a top candidate for a contract restructure. As we’ve written before:

“By restructuring Jarrett’s contract in a similar sense to how the Falcons restructured Julio Jones’ extension in 2019, it would free up some much-needed cap space while making Jarrett happy with more money upfront. It would lower the cap hit in 2021 and make Jarrett’s cap number more manageable moving forward, which doesn’t seem like a bad option considering he isn’t someone the Falcons would want to lose any time soon.”

Doing so would make sense for Jarrett and the Falcons. The Falcons also could look to restructure Jake Matthews’ and Deion Jones’ contracts, and potentially Dante Fowler’s. All four are candidates for contract restructures, which would free up necessary cap space heading into free agency

On 2/28/2021 at 2:34 AM, kiwifalcon said:

So even the Best Player Available is going to be based not upon what you & I think might be the BPA, but rather what our personnel group believes.  I mean our board is comprised of quite a few grown men who still actually play video games like madden lmao.  So keep that in mind.  I really do appreciate TF's philosophy in using the draft to get the best players, not reaching for needs though!