TF: Matt Ryan made the Falcons Job so Attractive!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What else could he say in a F2F meeting with the cameras on? "Hey Matt, you suck but nice to meet you! Be on the lookout for a trade here soon bud" Not saying what he said isn't true, But of

He made the job attractive because he has such great trade value. /purp

What did ESPN say before the hiring? Falcons HC and GM were least attractive because of Ryan and Julio cap problems.   

5 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

There's really not a way around restructuring or extending him if we want to be both cap compliant and have a full roster. Outside of James Carpenter, there's not a whole lot of savings left on the roster, and we'll be having to sign around 18ish players to get to a 53 man roster post draft. 

Restructuring the 6 largest contracts (sans Ryan and Julio) and cutting Carpenter only gets us to $12M in space, and the draft class is projected to be about $11M. 

Doesn't that first sentence pretty much scream out, Stop the madness! I think leadership or no leadership, A.S. and T.F. move on from Ryan's contract after next season (without restructuring) and begin to get a handle on this upside-down financial situation we're in with some of these contracts.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Where are you pulling your numbers, because he has a $23M base salary and a $17.9M bonus. He counts $40.9M against the cap this year. 

Largely a result of Dimitroff restructuring his deal twice and continually kicking the can down the road. 

Then I consider the source of my numbers flawed, if that's the case. Happy to admit i'm wrong on this one.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Where are you pulling your numbers, because he has a $23M base salary and a $17.9M bonus. He counts $40.9M against the cap this year. 

Largely a result of Dimitroff restructuring his deal twice and continually kicking the can down the road. 

That is cap for the year, Salary+Bonus. Bonus is prorated from past 3 years which didn’t count towards the cap.  Ryan is getting paid 23M this year.  Like I said Cap hit(Salary+Prorated Bonus) is different than what Ryan is being paid this year. 

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That is cap for the year, Salary+Bonus. Bonus is prorated from past 3 years which didn’t count towards the cap.  Ryan is getting paid 23M this year.  Like I said Cap hit(Salary+Prorated Bonus) is different than what Ryan is being paid this year. 

Nobody cares what he’s getting paid. We only care about his cap hit.

I think everybody understands how we got here. We kicked the can down the road for the last several years, his cap hits were minimal for a QB of his caliber and now the chickens have come home to roost in the form of his cap hits more than doubling for the next couple of years.

Edited by Snafu
20 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Nobody cares what he’s getting paid. We only care about his cap hit.

I think everybody understands how we got here. We kicked the can down the road for the last several years, his cap hits were minimal for a QB of his caliber and now the chickens have come home to roost in the form of his cap hits more than doubling for the next couple of years.

Then why worry? Kick the can down the road. Just like every other team. No idea why it is so hard to understand cap and salary. Only chicken littles on the TATF worry about cap. 

22 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

What else could he say in a F2F meeting with the cameras on?

"Hey Matt, you suck but nice to meet you! Be on the lookout for a trade here soon bud"

Not saying what he said isn't true, But of course he is going to give high praise to his new teams QB.

There are plenty of ways to dance around it without saying either.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:36 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

What else could he say in a F2F meeting with the cameras on?

"Hey Matt, you suck but nice to meet you! Be on the lookout for a trade here soon bud"

Not saying what he said isn't true, But of course he is going to give high praise to his new teams QB.

So here is where I see individuals contradicting themselves.  When Fontenot speaks about the draft, everyone is convinced we are taking a QB and his word is bond.  When his word is praising our new QB, it's moreso due to cameras.  Which one is it?  Or better yet, why can't it be both?  Why can't he value the best QB in Falcons history and still look towards the future

12 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

So here is where I see individuals contradicting themselves.  When Fontenot speaks about the draft, everyone is convinced we are taking a QB and his word is bond.  When his word is praising our new QB, it's moreso due to cameras.  Which one is it?  Or better yet, why can't it be both?  Why can't he value the best QB in Falcons history and still look towards the future

Both, neither, yes, no, perhaps, SQUIRREL!!!  TF is not tipping his hat, you nailed it.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, Jpg428gggg said:

I know right. All these fans will be crying when he finally retires and we have to play the QB lottery. This is a classic example of the grass is greener on the other side. As someone who experienced this in my career, sometimes you don’t know how good you have it until you don’t.

and this is mostly the less tenured fans. Those of us who have followed this team for more than 15 years, fully understand and comprehend your point

17 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Doesn't that first sentence pretty much scream out, Stop the madness! I think leadership or no leadership, A.S. and T.F. move on from Ryan's contract after next season (without restructuring) and begin to get a handle on this upside-down financial situation we're in with some of these contracts.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it doesn't change the fact of the original sentence. Without restructuring Ryan, we'll have just enough money to pay for our draft class (assuming we restructure others) which will result in a roster that doesn't meet league minimum requirements. Without restructuring anyone, it is literally impossible to become cap compliant in 2021. 

So yes, the madness needs to stop at some point, but we don't have a choice this offseason but to continue it. 

2 hours ago, Gee-Q said:

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, Mister pudding said:

I love Matt Ryan but not the contract... why can't both be true? Same with Julio

This is a good point.  I guarantee you, when surveying the league, MR is an attractive scenario.  “Much above average body of work w competent coaching, middling to solid w/o good coaching”.  TF shows his intelligence really.  Is MR 2 best AB in league??  Nope.  Will he ever be??  Prbly not but he’s “good enough to win you a Lombardi still w a decent ol/D and coaching”.  He needs a running game...TF saw author smith and said....”I’ll take my chances on that hill vs some of these other longer shot/gut the farm type scenarios”.  I’d have done same.