TF: Matt Ryan made the Falcons Job so Attractive!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What else could he say in a F2F meeting with the cameras on? "Hey Matt, you suck but nice to meet you! Be on the lookout for a trade here soon bud" Not saying what he said isn't true, But of

He made the job attractive because he has such great trade value. /purp

What did ESPN say before the hiring? Falcons HC and GM were least attractive because of Ryan and Julio cap problems.   

13 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Not a mind reader. Or am I, mwah haha.

But if TF is keeping and extending Ryan he’ll say he’s an attractive asset and if TF is trading Ryan he’ll say he’s an attractive asset.  We will know his intentions after draft and FA and preseason. 
I’m not saying I anticipate a move. Just that no professional is going to advertise one now. 

He didn’t say attractive asset. Ryan’s leadership inside and outside attracted him to take the job.

1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

I love Matt Ryan but not the contract... why can't both be true? Same with Julio

You need to care about other things in life other than another man's money. And if you want to be shocked by QB contracts, look at who is getting paid more than him. the list will shock you.

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Too early to worry about cap hit for next year. Let’s see how TF manages it and what Jake Mathews does on the field in 2021.

Sorry, by "Next Year" I meant the 2021 NFL season (The league year hasnt started). 

He's due to make over $20 Mill this season. He will be the highest paid OL in the NFL if I'm not mistaken. 

15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I think Matt's cap hit next year is a major hurdle, but there is no worse salary on our books than Jake Matthews being the highest paid OLman next year.

Except maybe Fowler...

There's really not a way around restructuring or extending him if we want to be both cap compliant and have a full roster. Outside of James Carpenter, there's not a whole lot of savings left on the roster, and we'll be having to sign around 18ish players to get to a 53 man roster post draft. 

Restructuring the 6 largest contracts (sans Ryan and Julio) and cutting Carpenter only gets us to $12M in space, and the draft class is projected to be about $11M. 

12 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

You need to care about other things in life other than another man's money. And if you want to be shocked by QB contracts, look at who is getting paid more than him. the list will shock you.

There is no list of people making more than Matt in 2021. Matt Ryan has the 2nd largest cap hit in the NFL this season @ $40.9 Million

Only Roethlisberger is slated to make more, but it likely wont happen.

"You need to care about other things in life other than another man's money." is such a silly argument. Nobody would give a crap how much he makes if the NFL didnt have a salary cap. If you are a fan of a team, there's nothing wrong with having opinions on how hard cap dollars should be distributed.

15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

There is no list of people making more than Matt in 2021. Matt Ryan has the 2nd largest cap hit in the NFL this season @ $40.9 Million

"You need to care about other things in life other than another man's money." is such a silly argument. Nobody would give a crap how much he makes if the NFL didnt have a salary cap. If you are a fan of a team, there's nothing wrong with having opinions on how hard cap dollars should be distributed.

A silly line of thought are fans (without legal or finance degrees) who think they understand cap manipulation.

The cold hard fact of the matter is Ryan is due to earn 30 mill, which puts him 9th in 2021... behind Carson Wentz & Kirk Cousins.

5 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

A silly line of thought are fans (without legal or finance degrees) who think they understand cap manipulation.

The cold hard fact of the matter is Ryan is due to earn 30 mill, which puts him 9th in 2021... behind Carson Wentz & Kirk Cousins.

Not that I'm disagreeing here, but just for clarity, I am a CFO of a law firm 😂

And I still don't understand cap manipulation

Edited by Mister pudding
20 minutes ago, Snafu said:

1 minute ago, MattM12 said:

What a player is Making and cap are entirely different. Matt salary is barely top 10 in NFL. His cap was in bottom of franchise QB from 2018-2020.

5 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

What else could he say in a F2F meeting with the cameras on?

"Hey Matt, you suck but nice to meet you! Be on the lookout for a trade here soon bud"

Not saying what he said isn't true, But of course he is going to give high praise to his new teams QB.

lol Seriously what was he supposed to say? “I would have really loved to live in California, but Atlanta paid more.” 

Articles like this should be taken with a grain of sand. This is pretty much a “Thank you for the opportunity, I won’t let you down.” response that you give to your employers.

That being said, I never believed we were the least attractive opening; however we certainly weren’t the best either.  

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

He didn’t say attractive asset. Ryan’s leadership inside and outside attracted him to take the job.

OK, you caught me.

If TF is keeping and extending Ryan he’ll say Ryan’s leadership inside and outside attracted him to take the job.  

If TF is not planning to keep Ryan he'll say Ryan’s leadership inside and outside attracted him to take the job.

Is that better?  Aside from meaning the exact thing, is that better?

No professional GM is ever going to publicly make guarantees of wins, make easily disprovable statements about performance, or throw any player under a bus or excessively praise any one player.  It's just good business.  
I’m not saying I anticipate a move. Just that no professional is going to advertise one now.  

And if we make 6-10 next season that is a 50% improvement which is more than any player or coach or GM needs to keep on salary.  And that there are 2 teams in our division who can sweep us and a third one who is interested in Watson which effectively locks a door.  

Ryan's not going anywhere.  And even if he was, TF wouldn't say so.  

4 hours ago, MattM12 said:

Where are you pulling your numbers, because he has a $23M base salary and a $17.9M bonus. He counts $40.9M against the cap this year. 

Largely a result of Dimitroff restructuring his deal twice and continually kicking the can down the road. 

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

What a player is Making and cap are entirely different. Matt salary is barely top 10 in NFL. His cap was in bottom of franchise QB from 2018-2020.

True. Dimitroff messed up by continually kicking the can down the road while not bringing in very much good talent to offset the future burden. 

5 hours ago, MattM12 said:

You mad, bro? It's not about another man's money it's about the ***** cap. You do understand that's why there's any debate at all in terms of Ryan staying around and us possibly taking a QB at #4 to replace him right? You're familiar with the big picture, right?