Trey Lance could sit for two years and start his first game at the same age Matt Ryan did.

20 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

A.S. and Ice would have that kid ready to ball out when his time arrives.

Or he could sit for two years and still be a bust. We don't need to draft a QB for a couple of years, MR is still in his prime.  We have too many more urgent needs than a QB right now . Trade DOWN , get enough picks to fill major holes, there are plenty, and make us competitive this year.  #4 opck is way too valuable to waste on a  QB . 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure how you pass on a QB with that skillset who could sit behind the greatest QB this team has ever had for two years while learning the offense. Trey Lance should be the pick at 4. 

Matt Ryan didn't need two years to learn how to play. He came in & hit the ground running. That is the kind of QB you draft with a top 5 pick... not a freaking project.

A.S. and Ice would have that kid ready to ball out when his time arrives.

46 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

Or he could sit for two years and still be a bust. We don't need to draft a QB for a couple of years, MR is still in his prime.  We have too many more urgent needs than a QB right now . Trade DOWN , get enough picks to fill major holes, there are plenty, and make us competitive this year.  #4 opck is way too valuable to waste on a  QB . 

So you don't like a top-5 QB because he might be a bust, but you want to trade down from #4. One or two years from now, then what?

You're going to be picking a QB from the bottom-tier that are left from the first round, but you're not the least bit worried that guy might be a bust?

Also, Matt Ryan may be in his prime, but his contract is in its full balloon phase. Because of all the restructuring, his salary is crippling the team's ability to field a full roster of players at ANY talent level.

We can't afford Matt Ryan and the other half-dozen super-high contracts the team is presently carrying. I don't know how much clearer the situation can be to grasp.

Even Blank and McKay said before these guys were hired that Matt Ryan's future was dependent on the new regime.  They made that concession because they know the new regime can't fix the team if it's hamstrung with Ryan's contract.

I can't predict the future, but A.S. and T.F. said they are going to be making some "hard decisions" in the near future about what 2022 and beyond are going to look like. Don't be shocked if one of those hard decisions involves Matt Ryan.

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I wouldn’t mind if any of top 4 QB fall to late first round and Falcons trade up from #35. There could be many options other than a project at #4.

In a year with more elite defensive players, you might have seen that happen.  Lance is a good player, but a potential top ten?  Mac Jones is being projected by some to around the 20 spot?  Crazy.

58 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

In a year with more elite defensive players, you might have seen that happen.  Lance is a good player, but a potential top ten?  Mac Jones is being projected by some to around the 20 spot?  Crazy.

It’s unusual off season with no combine. The skill players or DL would have got more hype after combine. QB have little to do with combine. I agree with AS though, it’s odd off season.

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

So you don't like a top-5 QB because he might be a bust, but you want to trade down from #4. One or two years from now, then what?

You're going to be picking a QB from the bottom-tier that are left from the first round, but you're not the least bit worried that guy might be a bust?

Also, Matt Ryan may be in his prime, but his contract is in its full balloon phase. Because of all the restructuring, his salary is crippling the team's ability to field a full roster of players at ANY talent level.

We can't afford Matt Ryan and the other half-dozen super-high contracts the team is presently carrying. I don't know how much clearer the situation can be to grasp.

Even Blank and McKay said before these guys were hired that Matt Ryan's future was dependent on the new regime.  They made that concession because they know the new regime can't fix the team if it's hamstrung with Ryan's contract.

I can't predict the future, but A.S. and T.F. said they are going to be making some "hard decisions" in the near future about what 2022 and beyond are going to look like. Don't be shocked if one of those hard decisions involves Matt Ryan.

So you want to dump all the skill players with big contracts and do a full rebuild ?  I would guess that one of those decisions would involve Julio .  We have good WRs who can easily replace him, not so with Ryan, we can afford his contract, he is the heart and soul of this team and will continue to be for 2 or 3 years,  Getting rid of Julio's contract would give us a lot of wiggle room under the cap, as would the extra picks we would get by trading down.  BOOM, we are competitive with minimal pain. 

8 hours ago, Lornoth said:

You don't draft a dude at 4 overall to do nothing for 2 years. *Maybe* in a trade-down, preferably in a later round entirely. 

You no prior to the 08 draft with Ryan and Flaccid all rookie QBs waited 2-3 years. I know these kids get ready faster but sitting isn't a terrible idea sometimes putting them in right away breaks them. Also I am in the don't draft QB train though

6 hours ago, dapanch420 said:

Hes raw but hes fast, hes got a quick release. Above average arm strength, and hes got quick feet. If he fixes his mechanics and foot work, he can be a monster. Only thing i dont like and its not a knock against him is his highlights are all passes to wide open reievers.

There are half a dozen QBs in the draft you could say that about.

14 hours ago, Aluminafalcon said:

I’m fine with that if it’s pick 15. All sports media is trying to crowd qb at top of the draft and that tells me they are over valuing  them due to limited scouting because of covid. Best to let someone else take that risk

They do it every year regardless of CoVid. Last year Love was a top 10 pick in the media...similar to Lance. Then instead of admitting they were wrong they just labeled Love as a steal for GB, meanwhile he sucks terribly as of now.

8 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

You no prior to the 08 draft with Ryan and Flaccid all rookie QBs waited 2-3 years. I know these kids get ready faster but sitting isn't a terrible idea sometimes putting them in right away breaks them. Also I am in the don't draft QB train though

That’s not true at all. Many still sat 1/2 - 1 season but top picks at QB still played well before 2-3 seasons in most cases.

8 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

There are half a dozen QBs in the draft you could say that about.

And at a much lower spot.  There are two or three developmental, truly developmental, QBs we could look at.  

In all honesty, FA will tell us far more than the current guesses.  I won't really comment on draft selections really until we see where the team goes with FA.

Here is another likelihood, that actually has a higher probability than somebody sitting behind Ryan and "learning" and stepping in after 2-3 years:

One of these guys: Joe Burrows, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Justin Herbert or Tua Tagovaolia will be either on the trade block or asking for a trade.  All have starter experience.

Dont believe me? Read the NFL headlines since 2021 began.

The QB of the future is not at #4, not this year.  Build a team around the QB now so the QB of the future has something to step into and hit the ground running.  

Arthur Blank: So what are your plans to win now and make that winning sustainable?

AS/TF: We’re going to take a QB at 4 and let him sit for 2 years

AB: What if Matt does well in your scheme and we don’t need a QB to step in in 2023? Don’t you think that a playmaker at 4 or maybe moving down to get extra talent might help us in a playoff run? I’m sure Green Bay could have used that 1st rounder this season???

AS/TF: We don’t anticipate getting anywhere close to the Playoffs, so we are not concerned about that.

AB: Well, if you are sure that we can’t win with Matt, then can’t you find a way to trade him for as much as possible? I know we’ll take a hit but we’d get more for him now than we would when he’s 2 years older and had 5 losing seasons on the bounce.

AS/TF: We thought of that but we like our original plan better.

AB: Well OK, Sounds good to me, you’re hired.

2 minutes ago, nevesmetro said:

Arthur Blank: So what are your plans to win now and make that winning sustainable?

AS/TF: We’re going to take a QB at 4 and let him sit for 2 years

AB: What if Matt does well in your scheme and we don’t need a QB to step in in 2023? Don’t you think that a playmaker at 4 or maybe moving down to get extra talent might help us in a playoff run? I’m sure Green Bay could have used that 1st rounder this season???

AS/TF: We don’t anticipate getting anywhere close to the Playoffs, so we are not concerned about that.

AB: Well, if you are sure that we can’t win with Matt, then can’t you find a way to trade him for as much as possible? I know we’ll take a hit but we’d get more for him now than we would when he’s 2 years older and had 5 losing seasons on the bounce.

AS/TF: We thought of that but we like our original plan better.

AB: Well OK, Sounds good to me, you’re hired.

Brilliant.  And true.  No way AB would allow this.  The man has to put azzes in Mercedes and sell them jerseys.  Great post. 

30 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Brilliant.  And true.  No way AB would allow this.  The man has to put azzes in Mercedes and sell them jerseys.  Great post. 

Yep

But Falcons will have to immediately turn it around and be contenders in 2021 to get fans to fill seats.

Don't forget that we have a weird fanbase where a huge number of fans really want a new QB because they think doing so will "add excitement" to the franchise.

Blank may very well be listening to them also, no matter if the Falcons do go QB at 4 or not. Blank is very aware of them also.

7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

You could argue by reading these boards that no player would put more butts in seats or sell more jerseys than Fields...not that I am advocating drafting him.

15 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

You could argue by reading these boards that no player would put more butts in seats or sell more jerseys than Fields...not that I am advocating drafting him.

True.  Perhaps he would.  I hope they don't draft him for that, and that he is good enough.  I'd hate for that young man, with enough pressure already, to have to come home and be a savior to people.  

I have no idea how good he is or could be.  My ability to assess talent is **** near zero!