CBS Sports Shows Once Again Why They Should Never Be Taken Seriously

Hurst will be a 29 year old free agent following this season.

When a player is almost 30, and all he has done to this point is "show some promise", the odds are pretty darn good that he's not the answer & likely isn't worth investing a substantial amount of time and/or money.

So depending on how he performs this season & what he'll be looking to get paid afterward would seem to have a pretty large impact on whether or not the Falcons let him walk. The better option might be to let him walk, hope someone decides to give him a lucrative deal, and we get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for him. That's a reality TF & AS have to consider right now.

So with that in mind, and the fact there are ways to move Julio next offseason which help the cap issues, thus potentially needing another weapon in the passing game if they decide to go that route... drafting Pitts should most definitely not be looked at as an absurd option.

Yes, the compensation mentioned in the CBS thing is silly, but the idea of taking Pitts there could actually be a smart move depending on how a few other dominos fall.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and this projection includes Atlanta trading with Carolina, which is probably less likely than Atlanta taking a TE in the 1st round 

I may not like it but I wouldn’t hate the pick. AS uses TE a lot in RZ which had been problem for Falcons. 

Not that I agree with that draft--at all. But you don't think we need a tight end? AS loves 2 TE sets and we need a second to Hurst than is better than what we got now

With so many "news" sources, and avenues to comment, you have to create a difference to make people look at your "content" now.  So, being stupid creates as many hits as does being cogent, articulate and informative.  Being stupid or just opinionated gets you as much notoriety now as an award for journalistic excellence would have in the 70s. 

51 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Deion Jones made it to the Pro Bowl once in 2017. Foye hasn’t been to a Pro Bowl. If we had “Pro Bowl” LBs they’d of made the “Pro Bowl”, plain and simple. I get the reference to us having above average LBs, but call them what they are. If they were Pro Bowl caliber LBs they’d of made the Pro Bowl. Foye finished the season as the 23rd ranked LB and Deion Jones was #36. I respect the homer rankings though. 

Probowl is a popularity contest for the best teams players with the biggest names. Ryan has only made the Probowl 4 times in 13 seasons, Does that mean he has only been Probowl caliber for less than 1/3rd of his career? Grady is one of the best DTs in the league, Yet how many ProBowls does he have? I think anyone who follows football knows a Pro Bowl caliber player is simply someone good enough to make it (Something Hurst btw has never been)

End of the Day - Our LBs are far better LBs than Hurst is a TE. So the point remains yet you want Parsons. 🤣 Make up your mind on how we should draft. Is it BPA or need based? Either way Parson's is neither.

Pitts is the best prospect in this draft not named Lawrence or Sewell.

42 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

If you don't think a Travis Kelce type player - is this not what you said? That seems like a comparison to anyone who knows what the word comparison means. We also gave up our 2nd round pick last year for Hurst. We aren’t drafting a TE, period. 

I am simply stating having a TE capable of being the best in the League.  He hasn’t even taken a snap at the NFL level hahahaha. 

Yes a Travis Kelce type player, as in one of the best TEs in the league. That's Pitts ability level. No one knows if he will reach that, But the same applies for every prospect.

You can think whatever you want, Last I checked you are not in the front office and have 0 impact on who we draft.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

With so many "news" sources, and avenues to comment, you have to create a difference to make people look at your "content" now.  So, being stupid creates as many hits as does being cogent, articulate and informative.  Being stupid or just opinionated gets you as much notoriety now as an award for journalistic excellence would have in the 70s. 

Yep, journalism has more in common with fishing these days than it does reporting factual information. Just get some sheeple to take the bait, keep 'em on the hook & tuned in so you can sell some ads, and then collect those awards.

8 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'm not against bringing in another TE or two. I just don't think picking one in the top 10 ahead of someone like Parsons who would fill a much bigger need is wise.

I like Parsons too. But, I think the whole character thing might put him off our value board. Or hopefully it was just a kids being kids thing, but it's hard to tell.

Might be too much smoke to take any chances.

26 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Probowl is a popularity contest for the best teams players with the biggest names. Ryan has only made the Probowl 4 times in 13 seasons, Does that mean he has only been Probowl caliber for less than 1/3rd of his career? Grady is one of the best DTs in the league, Yet how many ProBowls does he have? I think anyone who follows football knows a Pro Bowl caliber player is simply someone good enough to make it (Something Hurst btw has never been)

End of the Day - Our LBs are far better LBs than Hurst is a TE. So the point remains yet you want Parsons. 🤣 Make up your mind on how we should draft. Is it BPA or need based? Either way Parson's is neither.

Pitts is the best prospect in this draft not named Lawrence or Sewell.

Yes a Travis Kelce type player, as in one of the best TEs in the league. That's Pitts ability level. No one knows if he will reach that, But the same applies for every prospect.

You can think whatever you want, Last I checked you are not in the front office and have 0 impact on who we draft.

Facts:

-None of our LBs finished in the top 20 last year, they didn’t deserve to make the pro bowl, conversation done!

-Grady made the pro bowl, well deserved.

-Matt Ryan deserved his pro bowls but the years that Brees, Rodgers, and/or Wilson were selected over him they deserved to be there. When your team loses games you don’t make the pro bowl and rightfully so. 

-Pitts hasn’t taken a snap at the NFL level, so this whole “potential to be the best TE” is blowing smoke. Comparing to Kelce is just dumb.

-You aren't in the front office either, thank god. Your posts are ridiculous and you’re a delusional homer - Flame away Mr. Simpson

I don't mind the selection. He is, at worst, the 3rd or 4th best player on that board, today.

TE isn't a need that has to be addressed in the draft but I wouldn't be mad taking the best player. He would arguably be the bpa at 4 so trading down and getting him would be good.

The trade itself is a whole other issue.

11 hours ago, Slimm said:

Pitts and hurst with Julio andCalvin outwide would be nasty.  Pitts is a great prospect.  I don't hate the pick the more I think about it.  Having two TEs like that and two elite WO's is mismatch heaven.  Not too mention Gage, who ain't bad himself. 

And Hurst will be a free agent after a year. I'm with you too. The more I Iook at Pitts, the more I like him. He'd be a weapon defenses will have to account for. Paired with a really good set of RBs and the WRs we already have, it would be a scary O. 

The rest of the picks can be trenches and D.

43 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I like Parsons too. But, I think the whole character thing might put him off our value board. Or hopefully it was just a kids being kids thing, but it's hard to tell.

Might be too much smoke to take any chances.

Arthur Smith is coming directly from the Titans who have been dealing with a 1st round OL becoming a complete failure due to character concerns.

No doubt that was a pick Smith had a huge say in since he was the OC & has a history with the OL. He's probably feeling like he dodged a bullet by getting outta there before that crap hit the fan.

So I really can't imagine he's gonna take any chances with his very first pick as an NFL HC, and bring in a guy with any sort of glaring character issues.

43 minutes ago, matty72780 said:

Facts:

-None of our LBs finished in the top 20 last year, they didn’t deserve to make the pro bowl, conversation done!

-Grady made the pro bowl, well deserved.

-Matt Ryan deserved his pro bowls but the years that Brees, Rodgers, and/or Wilson were selected over him they deserved to be there. When your team loses games you don’t make the pro bowl and rightfully so. 

-Pitts hasn’t taken a snap at the NFL level, so this whole “potential to be the best TE” is blowing smoke. Comparing to Kelce is just dumb.

-You aren't in the front office either, thank god. Your posts are ridiculous and you’re a delusional homer - Flame away Mr. Simpson

Finished in the top 20 of what? Voting? Tackles? Turnovers? What qualifies someone as a Top 20 LB? Nothing "fact" about that except your personal opinion but keep reaching.

Did Grady make the Probowl in 2017 and 2018 when he played outstanding? Weird. Funny how you yourself said "when your team loses games you don't make the probowl" yet you originally asked about where's the Probowls for Deion and Foye... Uhh when have we won during Deions career other than his first 2 seasons? Deion made it in 2017 in his 2nd year when we made the playoffs. Played solid as a rookie in 2016 but we all know its rare for Rookies to make it. Missed most of 2018 and then the last 2 year the team was horrific. Again, You are not really proving your point very well. Deion is a probowl caliber LB. We have sucked Foye's entire short career so again, using your logic how can he make the probowl? This was his first year doing good and obviously at 4-12 who is going to vote for a 6th round unknown kid that the casual fan has never heard of?

I'd also like you to notice how you continue to ignore the fact Hurst is nothing more than another guy and pretend we don't need another TE. You keep trying to downplay our LBs to make it seem like we need Parsons while ignoring the fact Hurst is a worse TE than our LBs are at their position.

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings that people use simple analogies. Pitts has elite level talent, He has a chance to be elite. It's not rocket science. The draft is a crap shoot..Maybe he meets those abilities, Maybe he doesnt. 

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Finished in the top 20 of what? Voting? Tackles? Turnovers? What qualifies someone as a Top 20 LB? Nothing "fact" about that except your personal opinion but keep reaching.

Did Grady make the Probowl in 2017 and 2018 when he played outstanding? Weird. Funny how you yourself said "when your team loses games you don't make the probowl" yet you originally asked about where's the Probowls for Deion and Foye... Uhh when have we won during Deions career other than his first 2 seasons? Deion made it in 2017 in his 2nd year when we made the playoffs. Played solid as a rookie in 2016 but we all know its rare for Rookies to make it. Missed most of 2018 and then the last 2 year the team was horrific. Again, You are not really proving your point very well. Deion is a probowl caliber LB. We have sucked Foye's entire short career so again, using your logic how can he make the probowl? This was his first year doing good and obviously at 4-12 who is going to vote for a 6th round unknown kid that the casual fan has never heard of?

I'd also like you to notice how you continue to ignore the fact Hurst is nothing more than another guy and pretend we don't need another TE. You keep trying to downplay our LBs to make it seem like we need Parsons while ignoring the fact Hurst is a worse TE than our LBs are at their position.

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings that people use simple analogies. Pitts has elite level talent, He has a chance to be elite. It's not rocket science. The draft is a crap shoot..Maybe he meets those abilities, Maybe he doesnt. 

You’re a homer and unrealistic. There are multiple sites that rank positional players. Instead of spending time piecing together a grammatical disaster, why don’t you spend your time fact checking your idiotic statements before you post them. 

2 minutes ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

And how many in the 2nd half of the season? Right when he starts to fit into a new offense.

Actually his targets were pretty consistent through the season 

He only had 4 or less targets in 4 games.

His 2 highest target games came in the second half of the season. And he scored tds in 3 straight games to end the season.

2 hours ago, matty72780 said:

You’re a homer and unrealistic. There are multiple sites that rank positional players. Instead of spending time piecing together a grammatical disaster, why don’t you spend your time fact checking your idiotic statements before you post them. 

Someone's feelings got hurt. When this is the only response you can give, Just go ahead and don't respond. Please continue telling us how Micah Parsons is a need but a TE is not. Tell us how the great Hayden Hurst has us set at TE for the next 10 years. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
7 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

I could see the bengals moving to 3 for Sewell thinking we may take him, but if that’s the case, we should take fields or trade back further than 8, I would definitely not give Carolina the opportunity to get fields

Trade back with Philly, Cincinnati or Denver and they take Fields (even the 49ers if they throw in 5 picks, one of which is next year's first rounder). Not a fan of trading back with the 49ers though as they seem to be the best team next year out of the 4 mentioned (and they have the least draft capital).

8 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

He is a speedy tight end who put up good numbers (much improved from the Ravens) and caught TDs. Also, a good blocker. Would i like a Gonzo and a Kelce...of course. Do you watch the games? And for the record, he had TWICE the TDs of Julio Jones last year. Please explain why you don't like him.

Twice the TDs as Julio Jones? Part of the reason is Julio Jones. Nobody is double teaming Hurst. I will give him this. He started out playing well. Matt missed him on a lot of passes he should have hit him on. At the same time, he hurt Matt at times.

9 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Let’s slow down on comparing him to Travis Kelce. Dude hasn’t taken a snap at an NFL level yet. A lot changes from college to NFL, regardless of where you’re projected. 

Dude imagine Julio getting his hands on this dude and teaching him to run routes? If Julio can groom him as a route runner he could become an elite receiving TE early in his career.

I've tried to avoid this topic, but please make the Falcons trading down and taking a TE (albeit a good one) make sense!  Didn't 2016 teach this board anything (bomb offense, weak defense that got embarrassed in the SB).  The Falcons are well known for making stupid moves like this, make this STOP!!!

Tight ends are one very key position that makes the Bucs and the Aints and the Niners and Chiefs look so good. We have Hurst. And I’d argue that Hurst could be better but he is underutilized. But a rotating pair of good TE immediately impacts the team AND it positively impacts Matt Ryan by both improved rush blocking and improved completions. Why does TE play improve Ryan’s passing game?  Because if DCs think our TE is a catch threat they have to choose between leaving a receiver open or doubling Jones, for example. It’s a total win for us and Ryan.  Last year we did not pass or run our TE enough and it was predictable so opponents knew they could afford to double our wideouts. 
And even though I have been critical of Ryan he’s our QB next year and his strength is short and mid range passes. Let JJ or Rid drag the whole secondary out of the picture and hit the TE close for 7-8 yards all day. 
If we aren’t taking a QB a lights out TE is a very good choice. My opinion.