929 The Game - Falcons' No. 4 pick 'up for sale' ?

4 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

As far as the hard decisions go, it's fairly cut and dried on who could be restructed/gone, really. Expect Matt and Julio to restructure, maybe Grady. 

Expect Fowler and Carpenter, and possibly Jamison to be a June 1 cuts. 

The midnight oil is probably the language of the restructures, finding the actual numbers on the cuts/restructures, and getting it to jibe with what TF and Smith want to have available for FA.

At this point, they have to have already put together most of their wish list.

FA isn't far away. 😲

Best post today.  What makes this easier for them is they have ZERO connection to these players.  They can be savage, and make the hard choices and it isn't remotely personal.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rumors say the Jets are looking to trade him. I think our 3rd this year and maybe a 6th next year could get it done. He would have 2 years on his contract. If we like what we see, extend him. If not,

https://www.radio.com/929thegame/sports/atlanta-falcons/atlanta-falcons-no-4-pick-up-for-sale           Sidenote:         With Arthur

I would put Sam Darnold in that category

I should also add in here, that as cap-obsessed as everybody is this particular offseason, our situation will improve dramatically next year, so it's really just a one year challenge.

In 23, once Julio is off the books, and Matt (assuming he's still the guy) moving into the 1+option stage of his career, we'll be swimming in cash like that Monopoly guy. 🤑

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

My issue with the trade is that in two years once we are out from under ryan's contract darnold would already be up for a contract too so we wouldn't really have that time frame where we aren't paying a qb

I understand that argument and it's a valid one. My erratic thinking is that we would have Darnold for dirt cheap in 2021. In that year, the front office should be able to decide whether he would eventually be that replacement for MR2 or not. If not, let him walk. If so, sign him and structure the contract to be less while Matt is still playing. I don't think he will be warranted a king's ransom as far as contracts go

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I should also add in here, that as cap-obsessed as everybody is this particular offseason, our situation will improve dramatically next year, so it's really just a one year challenge.

In 23, once Julio is off the books, and Matt (assuming he's still the guy) moving into the 1+option stage of his career, we'll be swimming in cash like that Monopoly guy. 🤑

Ducktales, Atlanta.  Starring Arthur Blank as Scrooge McDuck!

2 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I understand that argument and it's a valid one. My erratic thinking is that we would have Darnold for dirt cheap in 2021. In that year, the front office should be able to decide whether he would eventually be that replacement for MR2 or not. If not, let him walk. If so, sign him and structure the contract to be less while Matt is still playing. I don't think he will be warranted a king's ransom as far as contracts go

Thank God I'm not the coach bro!

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Best post today.  What makes this easier for them is they have ZERO connection to these players.  They can be savage, and make the hard choices and it isn't remotely personal.

True, and people remark about our having so many holes to fill with half the roster scheduled to head out. If I'm Smith and TF, I'm happy as can be.

I don't have to worry about trying to deal with tons of holdover players I don't want but can't get rid of. I have an opportunity to build with guys I want right out of the gate, while still having a star QB, a young OL of top picks, and 2 top tier WRs on offense, and 3 pieces on defense in Grady, Debo and AJ to build around. 

4 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

True, and people remark about our having so many holes to fill with half the roster scheduled to head out. If I'm Smith and TF, I'm happy as can be.

I don't have to worry about trying to deal with tons of holdover players I don't want but can't get rid of. I have an opportunity to build with guys I want right out of the gate, while still having a star QB, a young OL of top picks, and 2 top tier WRs on offense, and 3 pieces on defense in Grady, Debo and AJ to build around. 

**** sight easier to build a half empty team in your image.  FA will be crazy in a "low key, who the **** is that guy we just signed" kind of way!

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

It isn't a realistic one though. Wentz cost the colts a 2nd and 3rd that could be a 1st and he was possibly the worst starting qb in the league last year. Darnold would cost a 2nd and the very least and would likely require an additional pick. Qbs are not cheap.

I wasn’t arguing if it was realistic tho 

57 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

It probably isn't enough man.  What sucks about Darnold is that even if we brought him in, he will get almost no game time.  And, when MR2 is cuttable, trade able, etc it would be time to either cut bait with him or sign him to stupid QB money.  

No it wouldn’t. And how do you go from fire TF to that’s not enough?

8 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

The problem is, were rarely load up on picks. We usually let others take advantage of us. People forget that prior to Dimitroff, we did trade high picks. We just never really got anything from them. Through all of the mediocre seasons, we only helped other teams get better.

Just off my head, we got Justin Blalock and Michael Boley thanks to McKay’s willingness to make moves.

Boley is a terrific example of why it’s a smart strategy. We picked Jordan Beck over him in the third round that year. So, we would have missed if we hadn’t gotten the extra picks and had Boley still available in the fifth.

1 hour ago, ATLskinjob said:

Well then what would you do? Play someone out of position?

I wouldn't take a T at 4. All we need is a G and can get that in FA or draft one in rounds 3 or 4. TF said though we fill needs in FA. So to me we will sign a G. Unless we keep Carp, which I am shocked he has not been cut yet. 

8 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

The hate is unreal. Fields or Lance aren't any good, but the good ole QB Whisperer can help Darnold, Trubisky, Franks, etc? Atlanta is in Georgia.

If I'm misunderstanding then my bad but if you are really trying to turn this into a race thing that's just sad and pathetic by you. Fields doesn't make reads and has an issue find the 2nd route option if his 1st guy isn't there. Lance is the biggest boom or bust guy in this draft. Could be a top 10 QB but could also be terrible 1 year and 1 game of tape against subpar talent is hard to evaluate. There's only 1 game where a team had allot of time to prepare for the player and make him do things he's not good at. That 1 game was to start this year and he struggled pretty bad. I'm sorry everything has. To be color I'm just going off of my evals.

3 hours ago, thanat0s said:

just in time to re-up terrell, surtain, and whichever safety we draft this year.

:ninja:

1 hour ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

just in time to re-up terrell, surtain, and whichever safety we draft this year.

:ninja:

LOL, true. I, for one, hope we've balanced out the impact talent on our roster by then, so the cap is more evenly distributed to offense and defense. Right now the D is in a 40m deficit.

6 hours ago, HughesOnStats said:

Very smart move to trade down. We have too many holes that need to be filled.  I wrote an article on what I believe Atlanta should do.  Denver or New England could be dance partners to trade down with.

https://www.hughesstats.com/single-post/what-should-the-falcons-do-on-draft-night

If you look at the totality of the Falcons team I think your first paragraph is accurate.

If you look deeper and target real concern areas I think your in a prime spot.

Before you even look at the talent the off field in coaching is the biggest improvement the Falcons could make.Talent for naught without coaching your toast.

For me that’s where the off field evaluation starts.

I really think the Falcons need to keep this off season very simple.

1.Pass Rush

2.Run Game 

3.Pass Coverage

If the Falcons target these areas first and foremost we’ll go a long way to fix what ales us.If we spread ourselves thin and band aid thee above I’m not liking what we’ll see going foward.

23 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Rumors say the Jets are looking to trade him. I think our 3rd this year and maybe a 6th next year could get it done. He would have 2 years on his contract. If we like what we see, extend him. If not, he's a viable backup for 2 years

if we like what we see? when are you suggesting we'll 'see' anything from him sitting on the bench? He's NOT going to beat out Matt for starting QB