A question for Falcons fans who don't think that we should draft a quarterback at 4?

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

So a 7th round draft pick Matt Cassell that led the Patriots to an 11 - 5 record after Brady got hurt in week 1 was a wasted pick?

Tom Brady was a pretty good mid round pick back up too. 

I'll give you Cassell not because of the 11-5 season they didn't make the playoffs but because they flipped him for a 2nd rounder. But for the most part they used a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks on backup QBs for the bench rather than players for the field to win even more while they had the greatest QB of all time. They didn't win the Super Bowl for 10 years over what should have been Brady's absolute peak prime. 

Just now, Summerhill said:

I'll give you Cassell not because of the 11-5 season they didn't make the playoffs but because they flipped him for a 2nd rounder. But for the most part they used a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks on backup QBs for the bench rather than players for the field to win even more while they had the greatest QB of all time. They didn't win the Super Bowl for 10 years over what should have been Brady's absolute peak prime. 

Oh, you'll give me Brady too, because he was a 6th round pick backup. They also drafted Jacoby Brissett, and Garrappolo was barely a 2nd rounder. (92nd pick) 

You can draft QB's late that can have a positive effect on your roster. 

You can also draft them that turn out to be garbage, but you can do that in any round. 

With where the Falcons are, and trying to build for the future, but also win now, drafting a QB later makes more sense to me. Draft a 3 - 5 round QB, and let him develop. Pretty good chance that the right pick could at least add depth to the roster.

5 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Oh, you'll give me Brady too, because he was a 6th round pick backup. They also drafted Jacoby Brissett, and Garrappolo was barely a 2nd rounder. (92nd pick) 

You can draft QB's late that can have a positive effect on your roster. 

You can also draft them that turn out to be garbage, but you can do that in any round. 

With where the Falcons are, and trying to build for the future, but also win now, drafting a QB later makes more sense to me. Draft a 3 - 5 round QB, and let him develop. Pretty good chance that the right pick could at least add depth to the roster.

I think Brissett and Garrappolo were wastes for the Patriots. I'm a believer drafting backup QBs is a waste. If you need a backup QB, sign a free agent. They don't cost that much. Draft picks are for players you can't sign. 

Just now, Summerhill said:

I think Brissett and Garrappolo were wastes for the Patriots. I'm a believer drafting backup QBs is a waste. If you need a backup QB, sign a free agent. They don't cost that much. Draft picks are for players you can't sign. 

Ok, we can agree to disagree. I would use a 3 - 5 round pick for a back up QB and take the chance that under MR, he could become something.

Surely the first 2 questions should be:-

(1) How long does Ryan want/intend to play for? 

(2) If he does want to play in to his 40’s, are we confident that his body will allow him to play at the top level for that long (could his arm strength become an issue)?

Beyond that, it obviously also has to depend solely on what we think of the QBs who are available at #4. If there is a QB on the board with all the traits we covet who we think had every chance to be the next great one, are we really prepared to pass him up?

It would be just our luck to pass on a QB who ends up in Carolina and becomes the next Brady/Manning...

On 2/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, nomak said:

Or...if Fontenot and Smith can't turn the ship around with Ryan and company...did Blank make a mistake? 

I just don't like that smith brought in both oc and qb coach from the bears.  I mean it's gonna suck for whoever is our qb.  They couldn't whisper magic into Foles or Trubisky and our future is dependent on them