A question for Falcons fans who don't think that we should draft a quarterback at 4?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would draft a QB later in the draft to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If that doesn't happen, look to use a higher draft pick next year to acquire one.

My plan -- and I'm not the GM so I don't know what his plan is -- would be to stockpile draft capital.  I would trade down in this draft and not trade back up.  I'd use the assets acquired in next yea

Well, since every team and their mom thinks it's a good idea to draft a quarterback (up to 10?) this year, won't there be less teams chasing that unicorn over the next 2 years? 

21 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

In three or four years, I'll look at the best QBs available via free agency and the draft. It's not a challenging question to answer.

17 hours ago, Malachore said:

You guys are so dead set on getting extra picks but forgetting you need a team willing to do it and also make it worthwhile. 

Literally every pick in the first round each year includes phone calls from teams trying to trade up.

Just rewatch last year's at-home draft to watch teams like Dallas and Philadelphia trying over and over again.

One of the most inaccurate statements about the NFL Draft is that finding a trade partner is difficult.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

Literally every pick in the first round each year includes phone calls from teams trying to trade up.

Just rewatch last year's at-home draft to watch teams like Dallas and Philadelphia trying over and over again.

One of the most inaccurate statements about the NFL Draft is that finding a trade partner is difficult.

I never said it was, I said finding a good one is.

18 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I never said it was, I said finding a good one is.

There are actually a freak-ton number of potentially good matchups, starting with Philly at six, Carolina at eight, Detroit at nine, SF at 12, and NE at 15.

We're the proverbial belle of the ball this draft.

19 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

This one year is not a make or break at QB.  But, we could really help ourselves in this draft because of the perceived needs for QB.

Yeah, the number of teams seeking a change at QB1 makes this the perfect year to be in the position we're in. I'm grateful that Miami has so much extra draft capital since it reduces their need/want to trade down. #4 looks like the action spot.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Not according to TF and even so if he wasn’t his guy he could have looked to trade or just eat the contract.

Don't think it's that easy. What else could he say about MR? But the money is the number one reason he came to ATL not a 36 yr old QB...not saying he can't win with MR because I think he can.  I guarantee you he's thinking long term and wants to get a QB to replace MR regardless of what RD. He knows you got to have the single most important position in all team sports covered to have a successful future. And job! It'll determine his success down the road. The most succesful NFL teams that sustain long term consistent winning all had great QBs with the exception of a few. The worst teams over the past 20 yrs or so all struggled to find QB via draft -trade - FA. Perfect example Bills Jets  Browns Dolphins Jags and more have all chased a QB during all the losing seasons. 

YOU GOT TO HAVE A GOOD ONE! They can be hard to find. They don't grow on trees or fall in your lap. TF knows this and if he doesn't - we've stepped in a heap of cat sh!+. 

22 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I would draft a QB later in the draft to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If that doesn't happen, look to use a higher draft pick next year to acquire one.

this is my questions to that. 1. Why waste a draft pick in the later rounds hoping you can get lucky when rarely that ever happens. 2. what happens if we do decent next year and pick in the middle of the first round and miss out on the top qbs. 3. why should we trade up and use some of our draft capital to move up for a qb when we can just pick one with the 4th pick this year with using any picks to get him.

22 hours ago, Doug Carlton said:

Depends on how long he plays at a high level. Vet backup for now, if Ryan can't make the offense run this season, pull the trigger next season with a vet or high draft pick.

Im sorry I just dont see how that is smart why not just grab a qb this year with the 4th pick and if ryan struggles this year then you already got the qb in house like I just dont get how people dont see that. Why risk having an average season and get stuck with no good qb to draft where we are what if we go 6-10 or 5-11 and that causes us to be pick 10th+ its not worth the risk and not worth the trade up. So just get your back up insurance now while we here.

15 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

Im sorry I just dont see how that is smart why not just grab a qb this year with the 4th pick and if ryan struggles this year then you already got the qb in house like I just dont get how people dont see that. Why risk having an average season and get stuck with no good qb to draft where we are what if we go 6-10 or 5-11 and that causes us to be pick 10th+ its not worth the risk and not worth the trade up. So just get your back up insurance now while we here.

That's cool. dude was asking for opinions...but here's my rationale:

MR2 is still top 10 in most every stat, is still one of the top 5 QBs in the league

The team needs to jettison vets that carry an unbearable number against the cap and will need to replace those players in the draft.

THIS draft is important to those players taking over multiple roles, we need to hit it out of the park and we need multiple picks that we do not currently own and will not acquire without trading the 4th.

The 3-4 is going to require depth at LB we do not currently enjoy

Our DEs are abysmal and we need young talent at both sides in this draft

We need a starting LOG in this draft

We need a starting RB in this draft

We need a backup/starting OT in this draft

We need a starting CB in this draft (Oliver is TRASH)

We need a starting FS in this draft

We need a quality SS backup in the event 22 gets hurt again

We need a quality DT to spell Grady in this draft

After that, we can talk about replacing the best QB the team has ever had and can still play at a high level even when the team and coaching around him sucks

25 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

Who even knows?  I'd say, drafting the third best QB is a worse move than drafting the number one TE or number one LB.  Our defense needs help.  We need a center and a running back.  Our QB situation as a starter is solid.  A vet backup is going to happen.  I think we still may draft a QB, but not at 4.  Or even the first round.  

1 hour ago, kenn.junior said:

this is my questions to that. 1. Why waste a draft pick in the later rounds hoping you can get lucky when rarely that ever happens. 2. what happens if we do decent next year and pick in the middle of the first round and miss out on the top qbs. 3. why should we trade up and use some of our draft capital to move up for a qb when we can just pick one with the 4th pick this year with using any picks to get him.

Fact is, that drafting a QB later in the draft affords you more options than just catching lightning in a bottle. It also allows the ability for guy to learn behind Matt. Maybe he develops into an excellent back-up, maybe he becomes a starter, or maybe he becomes trade bait. Patriots have done that before. It's not "wasting a draft pick" by any means.

3 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Don't think it's that easy. What else could he say about MR? But the money is the number one reason he came to ATL not a 36 yr old QB...not saying he can't win with MR because I think he can.  I guarantee you he's thinking long term and wants to get a QB to replace MR regardless of what RD. He knows you got to have the single most important position in all team sports covered to have a successful future. And job! It'll determine his success down the road. The most succesful NFL teams that sustain long term consistent winning all had great QBs with the exception of a few. The worst teams over the past 20 yrs or so all struggled to find QB via draft -trade - FA. Perfect example Bills Jets  Browns Dolphins Jags and more have all chased a QB during all the losing seasons. 

YOU GOT TO HAVE A GOOD ONE! They can be hard to find. They don't grow on trees or fall in your lap. TF knows this and if he doesn't - we've stepped in a heap of cat sh!+. 

The NFL is a fluctuating situation what it looks like now isn’t what it’s going to look like in a month year 2 years.We don’t know what’s around the corner.

So with that in mind why wouldn’t you want to go foward with Matt.

That’s all I’m getting at here.I no this if you put Ryan in the right situation next year he’ll produce so why worry about a year or 2 down the track with what we might and might not do QB wise.

I know we can win with him that’s the here and now.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The NFL is a fluctuating situation what it looks like now isn’t what it’s going to look like in a month year 2 years.We don’t know what’s around the corner.

So with that in mind why wouldn’t you want to go foward with Matt.

That’s all I’m getting at here.I no this if you put Ryan in the right situation next year he’ll produce so why worry about a year or 2 down the track with what we might and might not do QB wise.

I know we can win with him that’s the here and now.

Agree with all you said Kiwi but MR is36 and the future is beyond him after year two with AS unless he becomes T Brady. That’s why I think we need to draft a QB in whatever round. Dem Son of beaches are hard to come by unless you think Ryan Fitzpatrick is the answer 

12 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Agree with all you said Kiwi but MR is36 and the future is beyond him after year two with AS unless he becomes T Brady. That’s why I think we need to draft a QB in whatever round. Dem Son of beaches are hard to come by unless you think Ryan Fitzpatrick is the answer 

No doubt he’s on the finishing straight without a doubt but the future is now.This is another point if we didn’t think we could win with him I’m with you go get that guy.But if not ride Matt until you can’t.Then go get your guy the risk is no different.If you go get a QB early potentially you have upwards of 45 mill put into the QB position.

Me I want the Falcons to keep this off season really simple.

1.Run Game

2.Pass Rush

3.Pass Coverage.

All in in those 3 areas and ride Ryan and Julio until they can’t go anymore.

14 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Fact is, that drafting a QB later in the draft affords you more options than just catching lightning in a bottle. It also allows the ability for guy to learn behind Matt. Maybe he develops into an excellent back-up, maybe he becomes a starter, or maybe he becomes trade bait. Patriots have done that before. It's not "wasting a draft pick" by any means.

but QB picks like Brady is an anomaly not the norm most picks like him rarely ever become good. I dont see the reason to pick a QB that late expecting him to became the heir apparent to Matt. If you want that pick to be a backup why not just bring in a udfa as a backup. That pick could be a oluokun or russel gage type player.  

On 2/22/2021 at 5:48 PM, ATLskinjob said:

Man Matt just turned 36 and barely has any injury history. I don't know why people are acting like he's looking like Big Ben or Brees. 

Lazy reporting.  He also didn’t have a bad season just because the team did, but you would think he played awful last year by reading that report. 

19 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I would very much argue all those mid round picks the Patriots used on backup QBs were wasted picks. 

21 hours ago, kenn.junior said:

Sometimes there is just a qb that you like on the board. Like when the Falcons got Schaub in the 3rd a couple years after Vick or when Washington got Cousins in the 3rd i think the year they drafted RGIII. That being said, I wouldn't just draft one "hoping to get lucky"

On 2/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, JDaveG said:

My plan -- and I'm not the GM so I don't know what his plan is -- would be to stockpile draft capital.  I would trade down in this draft and not trade back up.  I'd use the assets acquired in next year's draft and re-assess.  If Ryan plays well and is not injured going into 2020, I might trade out of the round again next year with one pick, probably not both.  Stockpile more.

Then, when the iron is hot, you have the draft capital to strike.  Best case scenario, someone you like falls to your spot, wherever it is.  Worst case scenario you are stockpiling a lot of picks and can use them to pick players other than QB if it doesn't work out.

I'm not worried about being able to get a QB later on.  That will sort itself out, plus you don't need a top 5 pick to get one.  A top 5 picked QB hasn't won the Super Bowl in 5 years.  And before that, it was 4 years prior.  Both of them had the last name "Manning."  The rest of the Super Bowl winning QBs over the past 10 years have been out of the top 5 picks.  Including two 3rd rounders, and not even mentioning Brady as a unicorn 6th round pick.  The only two non-Mannings to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years who were drafted in the 1st at all were Aaron Rodgers (once) and Joe Flacco (also once).

Build the team.  

Yep.  Oddly enough, the next Manning comes out in 2026/2027...that's the rookie qb you target tanking for...(lol, just kidding...sorta)

On 2/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, Summerhill said:

I would very much argue all those mid round picks the Patriots used on backup QBs were wasted picks. 

So a 7th round draft pick Matt Cassell that led the Patriots to an 11 - 5 record after Brady got hurt in week 1 was a wasted pick?

Tom Brady was a pretty good mid round pick back up too.