A question for Falcons fans who don't think that we should draft a quarterback at 4?

16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

Um. . . . .take one later in the draft or wait a year?   Unless there was a rule change stating that QBs taken in the top 5 could only be replaced by a QB also taken in the top 5

16 hours ago, apl2g said:

Draft one in the later rounds or next year. Matt is your starter this year and maybe even next year, so why spend the 4th overall pick on a guy who isn’t going to help your team this year. This team isn’t in a complete rebuild, it just needs some holes plugged 

When you draft a QB in the first round, you have him on a cheap rookie contract for five years.  If we use up two of those years as a backup, we miss the cap savings very quickly.

In my humble opinion, we should trade down, acquire draft capital and draft a gifted QB on day three.  Observe his progress and decide whether he is a career backup or a future starter.  In the meantime, we use days one and two to draft much needed talent for the defense.

You have to assume with a new coaching staff the Falcons will be better in 2021 and win at least 7 games so will be picking #15 or so at the lowest in 2022. That is not the greatest place to be looking for a QB. So if the Falcons don't pick a QB at #4, they may as well just ride it out and wait for Ryan's arm to fall off and go 3-13 in 2025 and use that pick. 

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Give me a top 5 qb who sat and developed.

Top 5 as in draft pick ? Cause 2 of the top 5 QBs Mahomes and Rodgers sat (1st round picks) Herbert would have sat if Tyrod didn’t get his lung punctured Tua sat ... it’s a new day you can’t use past behavior anymore things are different last 5 years the QB has become increasingly more important and valuable 

3 hours ago, apl2g said:

It’s not all about the quarterback. It’s about the team you build around him. 40 something-year-old Tom Brady just won another Super Bowl. Not because he’s super agile or can throw the ball 90 yards, but because of the team he has around him

Matt Ryan never has and never will be Tom Brady why even bring that up ? 2016 he had his chance he took a sack in the worst possible time in the SB and couldn’t score past 28 to match Brady’s offense no more excuses it’s been 13 years if he hasn’t won it by now he never will ... he’s not John Elway 

19 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

You have to assume with a new coaching staff the Falcons will be better in 2021 and win at least 7 games so will be picking #15 or so at the lowest in 2022. That is not the greatest place to be looking for a QB. So if the Falcons don't pick a QB at #4, they may as well just ride it out and wait for Ryan's arm to fall off and go 3-13 in 2025 and use that pick. 

If we’re already thinking we only can win 7 games then you take the QB and plan for the future .. 28-36 record since we lost the SB that’s terrible 

14 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

If we’re already thinking we only can win 7 games then you take the QB and plan for the future .. 28-36 record since we lost the SB that’s terrible 

At least 7 wins. But probably not more than 9. If you're not going to draft a QB, the goal is the Year 2 jump like the 2018 Chargers. 

41 minutes ago, etherdome said:

When you draft a QB in the first round, you have him on a cheap rookie contract for five years.  If we use up two of those years as a backup, we miss the cap savings very quickly.

In my humble opinion, we should trade down, acquire draft capital and draft a gifted QB on day three.  Observe his progress and decide whether he is a career backup or a future starter.  In the meantime, we use days one and two to draft much needed talent for the defense.

This might be why the Jets are rumored to be wanting to move Darnold.  This would get them a reset on the QB salary.

1 hour ago, RetroRoq said:

In a way, I wish the Falcons would trade back before we even enter the draft season.

Just find a partner and dance and make your move before NYJ or Miami and to be honest, those are the 2 teams I would start with.

Both have draft capital to trade and a trade gives them a chance to stay with 2 top five picks this year... talk to Jax as well.

No team would agree to that because they are trading up for a specific player.  So the trade could already be agreed on but it's only finalized if the player they want is still on the board.

52 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

No team would agree to that because they are trading up for a specific player.  So the trade could already be agreed on but it's only finalized if the player they want is still on the board.

I remember an old article with Gil Brandt.  He said trades for picks occur in principal based on how the draft moves.  The trade is in place and is executed if the players that are wanted are actually there.

13 hours ago, Malachore said:

You guys are so dead set on getting extra picks but forgetting you need a team willing to do it and also make it worthwhile. 

You are making it sound like there is no chance of another team being interested in trading up...even though it happens every year.

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

I agree. 

1 hour ago, JetJones11 said:

Matt Ryan never has and never will be Tom Brady why even bring that up ? 2016 he had his chance he took a sack in the worst possible time in the SB and couldn’t score past 28 to match Brady’s offense no more excuses it’s been 13 years if he hasn’t won it by now he never will ... he’s not John Elway 

If you read my post I said it’s not all about the quarterback but the team you put around him. Brady wasn’t out there being 25 year old Brady. But he had a team built for him to succeed. His D played great which meant that he didn’t have to go out there and put up 35 points a game to win. His receivers were schemed open, his o line held up... they built an entire team. If Atlanta was a complete team they could compete, but they have never been a complete team 

2 minutes ago, apl2g said:

If you read my post I said it’s not all about the quarterback but the team you put around him. Brady wasn’t out there being 25 year old Brady. But he had a team built for him to succeed. His D played great which meant that he didn’t have to go out there and put up 35 points a game to win. His receivers were schemed open, his o line held up... they built an entire team. If Atlanta was a complete team they could compete, but they have never been a complete team 

His team straight bailed him out in the NFCCG.

Also, Ryan seriously outplayed Brady in the Super Bowl.

22 minutes ago, Alomar said:

You are making it sound like there is no chance of another team being interested in trading up...even though it happens every year.

No I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying people make it sound like it's as simple as snapping their fingers and not only getting a partner but worthy compensation as well.

1 hour ago, JetJones11 said:

Agreed with the logic.  However, that's a PR nightmare for the Falcons.  "Hey STH, we cannot win.  Period.  We are burning it down.  National TV, please don't broadcast us as we cannot win."  Maybe not that dramatic, but that in a nutshell is what would be being said.  No way Arthur Blank pulls that stunt.  He conned the city of Atlanta to back his vision of having world class facilities to a cost between 1 and 2 billion dollars.  

Your logic is sound to me however.

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

No I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying people make it sound like it's as simple as snapping their fingers and not only getting a partner but worthy compensation as well.

I believe that is very possible to get a willing trade partner, and get worthy compensation. After all, it is the #4 overall pick...

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Takes work for sure.  This is why TF will be attending pro days with the scouts and coaches.  It's a great way to network.  Most of the big deals occur on golf courses.

15 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Agreed with the logic.  However, that's a PR nightmare for the Falcons.  "Hey STH, we cannot win.  Period.  We are burning it down.  National TV, please don't broadcast us as we cannot win."  Maybe not that dramatic, but that in a nutshell is what would be being said.  No way Arthur Blank pulls that stunt.  He conned the city of Atlanta to back his vision of having world class facilities to a cost between 1 and 2 billion dollars.  

Your logic is sound to me however.

Yeah, I'm happy to admit that I have no clue what happens down at FB but I can almost guarantee that AS/TF didn't get the job by saying we'll take a QB at 4 and win 6 or 7 games with Matt this year.

I don't really know how to discuss this issue. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB at 4, but I don't think I want to sacrifice BPA to do so. The fact is, we have a bunch of needs. Even if you only poll haters, most are not going to list QB in the top 4 or 5 position groups that held us back in 2021. I think most would say DB, RB, and Edge are all bigger weaknesses. So my position is this, take the freaking BPA when you draft at 4, not the best QBA. If it is a QB, fine, but don't force the position. 

21 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

Has Matt given any indication that he is planning on retiring in the next couple of years?  Drafting a QB with a top pick is more about replacing Matt Ryan because you think the younger QB will improve the team rather than doing so due to Matt's retirement.  I'm not sold on any of those QB's not mamed Trevor Lawrence but I'm not opposed to taking one later in the draft as we need a capable backup at the least.  I don't see the need being as pressing as some as I think Arthur will do a world of good for the offense and Matt's game.