A question for Falcons fans who don't think that we should draft a quarterback at 4?

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

When do you think he's gonna retire ?  ... ive not heard him mention anything like that ... 

6 hours ago, Lornoth said:

It depends how long Font and Smith want Ryan here. It's not impossible he's our starter for the next 5 years or more. He could also be gone after this upcoming season. If the former situation plays out there's no way you look at an early round QB for the next few years. If the latter is the case, I'd look at who falls in this draft or take one next year. Not a fan of the top guys for where we'd have to pick them.

If Matt Ryan has it his way he'll be a Falcon into his early 40's.

38 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Why would we care about a replacement for Ryan.

I and no doubt TF are putting there money on AS and co can get the best out of Ryan now.

Heres one why not worry about replacing Ryan when we have to how bout that one.

Because we have a top 5 pick. But on the other hand I personally am not overly impressed with the quarterbacks other than Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones 

44 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Because we have a top 5 pick. But on the other hand I personally am not overly impressed with the quarterbacks other than Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones 

Yep and we have a QB still playing at a high level with a coordinator/HC whose system fits him to a tee.Get the running game and defense right and let’s roll.

Don’t stress about not picking here again.

8 hours ago, apl2g said:

Draft one in the later rounds or next year. Matt is your starter this year and maybe even next year, so why spend the 4th overall pick on a guy who isn’t going to help your team this year. This team isn’t in a complete rebuild, it just needs some holes plugged 

Give me a recent late round QB who sat and developed... Kirk Cousins ? That’s not the way of the nfl anymore this isn’t Brady’s early career 

Look the formula is easy. We skip out on drafting the best player available and trade back right? Then we draft a couple of Vic Beasley takk McKinley type of players and pray to the football gods they work out. If not then hey we get another top 5 pick next year and start this discussion again. Meanwhile our rival the panthers who did the right thing and drafted the best qb available have their guy for the next ten years and more than likely will have a winning record against us once his career is done 

5 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

You listened to locked on Falcons...

To me taking a QB @4 this year is wasting a pick for a team that has holes and needs to build through the draft. 

Besides Bryce Young is our future QB:ninja:

I haven't listened to Aaron since midseason (when I was watching the games but didn't want to hear anything about the mess on the field). I disagree with a lot of his evaluations but respect his knowledge and a lot of his opinions. Thanks to your reply, I'm listening to Locked On Falcons tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think Matt Ryan could play until 2026 if Falcons fans don't run him out of town LoL.

Personally I think we’ll be replacing Julio before Ryan. He’s got a greater injury history and is in a position that takes some punishment. I hate to say it because I love the player so much, but I’m guessing his skills decline much faster that MR2. 

My take,

Falcons won't draft this high again for a while,

(unless we give up like 6 players to move up)

grab Zach at 4-He reminds me of Marino!

let Matt Ryan teach him everything he knows  for a few years and the kid will be ready to take us to the Bowl!

4 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

Give me a recent late round QB who sat and developed... Kirk Cousins ? That’s not the way of the nfl anymore this isn’t Brady’s early career 

Name me a Qb drafted in the 1st round from 2009-2016 that’s still with his team

I just don't understand the take a QB at 4 and let him sit. What's the plan with that? Win 5 games this year, so he can take over in 2022 or if we do win waste his rookie contract? To me neither of those is a good plan!! If they take a QB at 4 that is telling me that they don't believe that they can be a Playoff team with Matt under centre and if they don't believe they can win with Matt then get him out of here ASAP for as much as possible. Just take the hit.

Otherwise, like others have said, I'm looking to get draft ammunition for the future, so that I can move around the board to get a QB in a year, 2 or 3? Personally this is what I believe is right but it won't bother me too much if they take a QB. I'll just be waiting to see what they do with Matt.

7 minutes ago, apl2g said:

Name me a Qb drafted in the 1st round from 2009-2016 that’s still with his team

4 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

It’s not all about the quarterback. It’s about the team you build around him. 40 something-year-old Tom Brady just won another Super Bowl. Not because he’s super agile or can throw the ball 90 yards, but because of the team he has around him

Why would you spend the 4th pick on a player that's gonna sit on the bench 2-3 years is the real question. Nobody on this board should be that uneducated. If you think QB was this team biggest needs, you have no clue HOW to watch football. Biggest problem was coaching, now all we need is new corners, edge rusher, guard and running backs and we back in contention.  Taking a QB at 4 does nothing but set us back another 2-3 years. 

14 hours ago, JDaveG said:

My plan -- and I'm not the GM so I don't know what his plan is -- would be to stockpile draft capital.  I would trade down in this draft and not trade back up.  I'd use the assets acquired in next year's draft and re-assess.  If Ryan plays well and is not injured going into 2020, I might trade out of the round again next year with one pick, probably not both.  Stockpile more.

Then, when the iron is hot, you have the draft capital to strike.  Best case scenario, someone you like falls to your spot, wherever it is.  Worst case scenario you are stockpiling a lot of picks and can use them to pick players other than QB if it doesn't work out.

I'm not worried about being able to get a QB later on.  That will sort itself out, plus you don't need a top 5 pick to get one.  A top 5 picked QB hasn't won the Super Bowl in 5 years.  And before that, it was 4 years prior.  Both of them had the last name "Manning."  The rest of the Super Bowl winning QBs over the past 10 years have been out of the top 5 picks.  Including two 3rd rounders, and not even mentioning Brady as a unicorn 6th round pick.  The only two non-Mannings to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years who were drafted in the 1st at all were Aaron Rodgers (once) and Joe Flacco (also once).

Build the team.  

Good post.  Let ne add to what I  bolded above:

This draft class is lacking in top defensive talent.  This has artificially moved at least three of the QBs up into being top 5 picks, instead of being spread out over picks 1-12.   In most drafts Lawrence, Wilson and Fields would be spread out among those first 12 picks.   Of the first four picks, only Jacksonville has a need for a QB.   This would -normally- push these QBs down the draft boards.

Which -should- work for the Falcons when it comes to trading back.  Reports of the Jets and Dolphins giving up on thier young QBs sounds more like the teams want to trade back, and are just blowing smoke.......

In a way, I wish the Falcons would trade back before we even enter the draft season.

Just find a partner and dance and make your move before NYJ or Miami and to be honest, those are the 2 teams I would start with.

Both have draft capital to trade and a trade gives them a chance to stay with 2 top five picks this year... talk to Jax as well.

6 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I haven't listened to Aaron since midseason (when I was watching the games but didn't want to hear anything about the mess on the field). I disagree with a lot of his evaluations but respect his knowledge and a lot of his opinions. Thanks to your reply, I'm listening to Locked On Falcons tomorrow.

You'll probably wanna listen to Monday's show... then get back to me lol

Well, first off, specific to Matt, this question is like asking me if I'm not going to have pizza on August 13th 3-4 years from now, what is my plan for dinner if there is no pizza available. It's absolutely impossible to say with any certainty.

Generally speaking, you take QBs in round one for two reasons...

1. You don't have a viable QB that you can build around to win a championship, or at least not cost you a chance at one.

2. Your current QB is at the end of the road (see Philip Rivers, Chargers). By the time they drafted Herbert, it was painfully obvious that he was at the end and the team wasn't going to continue to build around him. He found a home for one more year, but even he knew that was his last ride.

The Falcons are in neither of those positions, and won't be for at least a couple of years. So, you sign a vet backup, draft a QB somewhere along the way as a cheap project, and you build around your HOF QB to try to get back to the SB with this group.