A question for Falcons fans who don't think that we should draft a quarterback at 4?

If only there were an event every year in which teams could acquire young talent at key posistions.  The NFL should really get on doing something like that 🤣🤣🤣

There is 2-3 "franchise QBs" in every draft the key as it always has been is to have a good team that is well coached.  You can hide an average QB in a good system ala Tannehill or Flacco but even a great QB can't make his teammates not suck.  See Marino's while career or Mahomes trying to play with a back-up o-line in this year's SB.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would draft a QB later in the draft to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If that doesn't happen, look to use a higher draft pick next year to acquire one.

My plan -- and I'm not the GM so I don't know what his plan is -- would be to stockpile draft capital.  I would trade down in this draft and not trade back up.  I'd use the assets acquired in next yea

Well, since every team and their mom thinks it's a good idea to draft a quarterback (up to 10?) this year, won't there be less teams chasing that unicorn over the next 2 years? 

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

Who are the prospects next year? The team has to have some continuity while it transitions to a new era. The beauty of the nfl unlike other sports is that every year there’s a chance to be competitive. Qb is a want at this point not a need. 

The other problem this fails to address if its about future potential due to cap savings you can't play the new kid this year anyway or if you do your paying Ryan 20% of the cap to be a back-up.   So then You then have only 3 years of rookie scale contract if you don't get the right guy this time your done.  Because you then have to either extend an average QB for way more than he's worth ala Wentz or try the draft over and over again till you hit pay dirt ala the Browns and like the Browns we may not guess right right the first, 2nd, 3rd or even 8th time the vast majority of first round QBs fail so saying you absolutely have to take one is always flawed logic.  Good teams are built by drafting great players and when the time comes a QB is placed into an already good situation that protects him.  Going QB first and hoping he elevates the whole roster is an unsustainable formula.

Edited by #84
56 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I personally think what TF and AS hinting about next year and year after means a trade down. Instead of reaching for some one, trade down and get picks for next year and this year to build a team. When you have great team, your QB becomes plug and play and part of it. Build a team. 

Fontenot’s words make it appear they will address the need this year.  Whether or not it’s true, who knows

Time Up for Matt Ryan? Atlanta Falcons GM Prioritizes Quarterback Acquisition

Matt Ryan may be on borrowed time in Atlanta. The quarterback struggled last season, as the Falcons ended up missing the Playoffs once again.

Now, the franchise may be looking to start over with a new team. And if the Falcons’ GM is to be believed, Matt Ryan could be lining up for a team that isn’t the Atlanta Falcons.

Atlanta Falcons’ GM Terry Fontenot spoke to NFL.com recently about the plans for the franchise. He noted that the utmost priority for the team is to acquire a new quarterback.

Fontenot explained how important it is for the franchise to bring in a new quarterback. He used the example of former Packers’ GM Ron Wolf to explain his strong desire for the same.

2020-10-25T213107Z_1591175443_MT1USATODA

“You look at Ron Wolf, You always bring in quarterbacks. You need to bring in quarterbacks, whether it’s in the draft, whether it’s in free agency, or signing guys off the street.

“It’s so important, bring in quarterbacks a lot, build strengths…But both (Ryan and Julio Jones) are really good and I’m excited to be here with those players.”

READ MORE- From Free Agency to the Pro Bowl – Tracing the Rise of Falcons’ Kicker Younghoe Koo

Atlanta Falcons looking at a rebuild

All said and done, Fontenot did note that the quarterback position still wasn’t the only priority. The entire team must be replenished. And whether they choose to do it via the draft or through trades or free agency, the team will get better.

Fontenot hopes to breed a culture competition, where the best players in their positions are forced to earn their starting spots on the team.

“Whether we’re talking about free agency or whether we’re talking about the draft, we are going to add to every position…We want a culture of competition, and Arthur Smith has said it: We want to bring in smart, tough, highly competitive football players that are going to fit this culture. 

“And we’re going to do that at every position, whether it’s QB or whether it’s WR.” (h/t-Huddle and Flow)

Can the Atlanta Falcons improve going into the next season? It will be a challenging task, given how poor the franchise has been in recent memory. However, if they can find the right pieces for the team, maybe they can return to the Playoffs?

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

Depends on how long he plays at a high level. Vet backup for now, if Ryan can't make the offense run this season, pull the trigger next season with a vet or high draft pick.

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Fontenot’s words make it appear they will address the need this year.  Whether or not it’s true, who knows

Matt Ryan may be on borrowed time in Atlanta. The quarterback struggled last season, as the Falcons ended up missing the Playoffs once again.

Now, the franchise may be looking to start over with a new team. And if the Falcons’ GM is to be believed, Matt Ryan could be lining up for a team that isn’t the Atlanta Falcons.

Atlanta Falcons’ GM Terry Fontenot spoke to NFL.com recently about the plans for the franchise. He noted that the utmost priority for the team is to acquire a new quarterback.

Fontenot explained how important it is for the franchise to bring in a new quarterback. He used the example of former Packers’ GM Ron Wolf to explain his strong desire for the same.

2020-10-25T213107Z_1591175443_MT1USATODA

“You look at Ron Wolf, You always bring in quarterbacks. You need to bring in quarterbacks, whether it’s in the draft, whether it’s in free agency, or signing guys off the street.

“It’s so important, bring in quarterbacks a lot, build strengths…But both (Ryan and Julio Jones) are really good and I’m excited to be here with those players.”

READ MORE- From Free Agency to the Pro Bowl – Tracing the Rise of Falcons’ Kicker Younghoe Koo

Atlanta Falcons looking at a rebuild

All said and done, Fontenot did note that the quarterback position still wasn’t the only priority. The entire team must be replenished. And whether they choose to do it via the draft or through trades or free agency, the team will get better.

Fontenot hopes to breed a culture competition, where the best players in their positions are forced to earn their starting spots on the team.

“Whether we’re talking about free agency or whether we’re talking about the draft, we are going to add to every position…We want a culture of competition, and Arthur Smith has said it: We want to bring in smart, tough, highly competitive football players that are going to fit this culture. 

“And we’re going to do that at every position, whether it’s QB or whether it’s WR.” (h/t-Huddle and Flow)

Can the Atlanta Falcons improve going into the next season? It will be a challenging task, given how poor the franchise has been in recent memory. However, if they can find the right pieces for the team, maybe they can return to the Playoffs?

Lol I actually listened to what Fontenot said. I don’t need some random Aaditya Krishnamurthy  to report. In any case he said they will bring in QB and not necessarily at #4. have said repeatedly they will bring in QB coz there is no back up on the roster. I hope they do draft one in later rounds and not pay big money to back up QB. I don’t think any one is arguing about a new back up QB, it can be any where from late first to mid rounds.

It depends how long Font and Smith want Ryan here. It's not impossible he's our starter for the next 5 years or more. He could also be gone after this upcoming season. If the former situation plays out there's no way you look at an early round QB for the next few years. If the latter is the case, I'd look at who falls in this draft or take one next year. Not a fan of the top guys for where we'd have to pick them.

30 minutes ago, BLM said:

Well see how good Smith is at QB whispering.  I was high on him until I saw he brought in Chicagos OC and Chicago QB coach and when have the bears had a good QB or seen QB improvement?  Fontenot I like since the Saints have talent.

Well they did pretty good for not having a viable QB or WRs. And he looked dayum good laying it on us. He only needed half a quarter. 🤣🤣

He also did great becoming an All Pro without a WR topping 800 yards.

Chicago's offense has always stunk it up, so maybe it was good coaching getting them in the playoffs every year.

I dunno. I'm just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks. 😁

29 minutes ago, #84 said:

If only there were an event every year in which teams could acquire young talent at key posistions.  The NFL should really get on doing something like that 🤣🤣🤣

There is 2-3 "franchise QBs" in every draft the key as it always has been is to have a good team that is well coached.  You can hide an average QB in a good system ala Tannehill or Flacco but even a great QB can't make his teammates not suck.  See Marino's while career or Mahomes trying to play with a back-up o-line in this year's SB.

Or Trent Dilfer with the ravens.

7 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Trade back, try to collect another second round pick this year and a first and a second next year. Then, package next year's two first round picks and possibly both of the second round picks to move up to get a QB in 2022.

You listened to locked on Falcons...

To me taking a QB @4 this year is wasting a pick for a team that has holes and needs to build through the draft. 

Besides Bryce Young is our future QB:ninja:

Edited by CrimsonFalcon
4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

That is an easy question to answer. You trade down this year, getting more picks this year plus a first and second next year. You can use our 2 first round picks next year to trade up and get a QB if there is one there that we feel is a must have. If there isn't, we can trade down one of our firsts next year and get a second first round pick the year after...rinse and repeat until we have our replacement for when MR retires. My 2 cents...

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

all depends on when he's going to retire.....I personally think he has another 4 or 5 years left, with the proper build around him philosophy.  

I think you find your 'matt replacement' a year before and let him groom, then be ready to take over. You don't get that replacement to sit 2 or 3 years, and barring injury or a sudden 'Andrew Luck' retirement stunner, you don't wait until he's done and then hope you can draft a starting qb that upcoming draft.

so if TF and AS think he has more than just next year left, no, you don't draft a qb at 4 who's sitting for most of his rookie contract, and have to renew him after he only has one year under his belt. Every year or every other year, there's a 'can't miss' prospect touted in the draft. Some one posted an article some weeks back, about even guys like the great Bill Walsh missing on who they said was the next 'can't miss'....the list of names on the team side and the qb's they lusted for was pretty astonishing really. I said that, to say, there's really very few 'sure thing' guys, but there are a lot of guys who look like the next sure thing, only they don't come close to living up to the hype