A question for Falcons fans who don't think that we should draft a quarterback at 4?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would draft a QB later in the draft to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If that doesn't happen, look to use a higher draft pick next year to acquire one.

My plan -- and I'm not the GM so I don't know what his plan is -- would be to stockpile draft capital.  I would trade down in this draft and not trade back up.  I'd use the assets acquired in next yea

Well, since every team and their mom thinks it's a good idea to draft a quarterback (up to 10?) this year, won't there be less teams chasing that unicorn over the next 2 years? 

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I would draft a QB later in the draft to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If that doesn't happen, look to use a higher draft pick next year to acquire one.

Yup. Plus, if we trade down from 4 and get a future first, that gives us more ammo if we need to move up from say, 32nd overall.

8 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If we don't draft a QB at 4 this year what is your plan to replace Matt Ryan when he does retire? How and when would you go about finding his replacement? 

Draft one in the later rounds or next year. Matt is your starter this year and maybe even next year, so why spend the 4th overall pick on a guy who isn’t going to help your team this year. This team isn’t in a complete rebuild, it just needs some holes plugged 

The key to this is to not waste that rookie contract for 2-3 years. Matt is probably here for the next 2 years. If you want a prospect to learn in the later picks then fine. But, i feel you defeat your purpose @ 8mil/yr to sit the bench for 2 years and then start negotiating big money at the end of year 3. Too much hype this year at top of the draft, I don't se the multitude of franchise guys in this draft. There's more to it than lighting up underclassed or understaffed college competition. With that said, if your guy is there next year or the next, go get him. By then, we should have a strong enough team to be able to spend draft capital on who we want.

7 minutes ago, BLM said:

Bigger question is, if Fontenot and Smith can't turn the ship around with Ryan, they got no backup plan

I bet they do.  TF is no fool.  My guess is that they are beating every bush and figuring the style of player they want.  They may yet take a QB at 4, who knows, but I would be very surprised if TF and AS don't have some kind of plan A, plan B, plan C, etc.

7 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

This

Except, I would say try next year or the following if they didn't feel like they found their guy this year.

QBs are starting to be less sticky with their franchises. Who's to say Russell Wilson isn't available in 2-3 years or some other guy. Tampa Bay didn't have a QB this time last year.

Get picks, build the franchise and you will become more enticing for free agents or guys wanting out of bad situations. You'll also be prepared to support a young QB, if you find one in the draft. Either way, building a winning organization is about getting everything right around the QB. Otherwise, it's just repeating the last decade over again.

My plan -- and I'm not the GM so I don't know what his plan is -- would be to stockpile draft capital.  I would trade down in this draft and not trade back up.  I'd use the assets acquired in next year's draft and re-assess.  If Ryan plays well and is not injured going into 2020, I might trade out of the round again next year with one pick, probably not both.  Stockpile more.

Then, when the iron is hot, you have the draft capital to strike.  Best case scenario, someone you like falls to your spot, wherever it is.  Worst case scenario you are stockpiling a lot of picks and can use them to pick players other than QB if it doesn't work out.

I'm not worried about being able to get a QB later on.  That will sort itself out, plus you don't need a top 5 pick to get one.  A top 5 picked QB hasn't won the Super Bowl in 5 years.  And before that, it was 4 years prior.  Both of them had the last name "Manning."  The rest of the Super Bowl winning QBs over the past 10 years have been out of the top 5 picks.  Including two 3rd rounders, and not even mentioning Brady as a unicorn 6th round pick.  The only two non-Mannings to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years who were drafted in the 1st at all were Aaron Rodgers (once) and Joe Flacco (also once).

Build the team.  

7 minutes ago, Williamb said:

The key to this is to not waste that rookie contract for 2-3 years. Matt is probably here for the next 2 years. If you want a prospect to learn in the later picks then fine. But, i feel you defeat your purpose @ 8mil/yr to sit the bench for 2 years and then start negotiating big money at the end of year 3. Too much hype this year at top of the draft, I don't se the multitude of franchise guys in this draft. There's more to it than lighting up underclassed or understaffed college competition. With that said, if your guy is there next year or the next, go get him. By then, we should have a strong enough team to be able to spend draft capital on who we want.

Yep.

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I would hope to trade down in this draft while acquiring additional firsts for future years. I would then trade ryan in the last year of his deal for any draft capital we could receive. Essentially, load up on ammo so we can make a move for a qb in a future year.

Or, maybe he's playing well and you don't want to trade him.  In that case, keep stockpiling and adding quality players around him.  Then whoever you draft walks into a nice situation.

34 minutes ago, emc008 said:

The plan will be thus;  How - through free agency or draft  ;   When - before he retires. 

That's one thing I would strongly consider. Sign an old veteran QB to replace Matt Ryan to a 1-2 year deal and let him train the new QB. Draft the QB the year after Matt Ryan retires that way we give Matt Ryan every opportunity to win a championship.

27 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I bet they do.  TF is no fool.  My guess is that they are beating every bush and figuring the style of player they want.  They may yet take a QB at 4, who knows, but I would be very surprised if TF and AS don't have some kind of plan A, plan B, plan C, etc.

They have to consider EVERYTHING! Including what if Trevor Lawrence is available at 4. Even though it's 99 percent chance he won't they have to have a plan if he's available at 4.

Don't take a QB at 4. Trade down if possible. If we can get an extra 1st and 2nd in 2022 or 2023, we can move to the #1 pick and take the best QB in the draft. By then, we should have used the remainder of the picks to build the team for MR's successor. And when he doesn't perform as expected in his first SB and we win it, everyone can say the defense (or insert whatever area that performs well) won that SB for you, not your great QB. 

Who cares, the ultimate objective is achieved. And we become a dynasty.

25 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

This

Except, I would say try next year or the following if they didn't feel like they found their guy this year.

QBs are starting to be less sticky with their franchises. Who's to say Russell Wilson isn't available in 2-3 years or some other guy. Tampa Bay didn't have a QB this time last year.

Get picks, build the franchise and you will become more enticing for free agents or guys wanting out of bad situations. You'll also be prepared to support a young QB, if you find one in the draft. Either way, building a winning organization is about getting everything right around the QB. Otherwise, it's just repeating the last decade over again.

Drew Brees replacement is a veteran QB. Not a rookie. Could happen for Matt Ryan.

33 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Well see how good Smith is at QB whispering.  I was high on him until I saw he brought in Chicagos OC and Chicago QB coach and when have the bears had a good QB or seen QB improvement?  Fontenot I like since the Saints have talent.

Edited by BLM
29 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

This

Not too mention Aaron Rodgers. 

Here we go again. It’s all up to TF. TF did say it’s all about long term. What does that mean? Dem if we know...oh hang on a minute this place is loaded with know it alls. Now just hang up and listen. Get you some popcorn and a coke. If you’re looking for entertainment you’re at the right place. And just think it won’t stop after April 29. It’s going to be a TUFF ride until this thing plays out. Hang on😝