Trey Lance Game Tape Analysis

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually kind of like Lance. I think sitting on the bench for a year or two is his ideal situation. He has great raw potential; his arm strength and athleticism is there. He just needs some mechanic

This is a pretty decent analysis on Trey Lance, for those of you who are hoping we trade down and draft this kid. 

On 2/23/2021 at 1:36 AM, DonOfThemBirds said:

What do you think about him?

I think he has the highest potential out of any QB in this draft. Also the most risky QB prospect in this draft.

I could see him as an All Pro or at least a top 6 QB, but could also see him as a bust depending on what his situation is coming into the NFL.

Under Arthur's watch and sitting behind Ryan for a couple years, I think he'd do well. Honestly, I'm not against drafting a QB this year, or even in the first round. It's just that there's really only two that I'd be interested in--the first being Lance and the other Mac Jones. Lance I'd trade down and take a flyer on. If the Falcons get a good haul trading down to pick 10 and he's still on the board, I'd take him. The good thing about Lance is that he's a prospect you don't have to rush in. The kid is only 20 years old. So even if he if sits for a couple years he'd still only be 22 if the Falcons decide to move on from Ryan and make him the full time starter.

We'll see what happens. There's a very real possibility Ryan forces the Falcons to make a tough decision like NE had to with Brady and Garropollo (and at the time it was a tough decision, Jimmy G was playing well and has played well enough for the 49ers to make the Super Bowl).

On 2/23/2021 at 7:00 AM, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Every year we go thru this exact same thing, still looking at the wrong stuff, listening to the wrong people, and then fighting about it. 

Even if somehow we looked at all the right stuff, then listened to all the right people, we'd still fight like helI. It's our go-to, signature move.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

You right he’s not. Trey is better

Would have him 5th or 6th best QB in this class as of right now.  Wouldn't touch him nor Jones in the top 15 thats for sure.  The debate for me is not Jones or Lance it's Lance or Trask as the 5th best QB with Jones being above both by just a little bit. 

I like Lance as a guy who'll sit for a year or two. Seems like he's a fit for AS scheme. I know people will yell "you don't sit a first round pick" but before about 2008 most young QBs sat for at least their first year. I know people are in favor of just kicking the can down the road on drafting a QB but if we're honest, we wont be in the super bowl next season.

Maybe we win 10 games next season and are picking in the middle or end of the first round so we pass on a QB or have to trade up. How long do we push on drafting a QB? I'd rather draft a guy and have him learn from a true vet like Ryan for a year or two than come in cold. If this team is going to be competitive for the next few years, we wont have an opportunity to pick this high or have this type of draft capital for a while. 

17 minutes ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I like Lance as a guy who'll sit for a year or two. Seems like he's a fit for AS scheme. I know people will yell "you don't sit a first round pick" but before about 2008 most young QBs sat for at least their first year. I know people are in favor of just kicking the can down the road on drafting a QB but if we're honest, we wont be in the super bowl next season.

Maybe we win 10 games next season and are picking in the middle or end of the first round so we pass on a QB or have to trade up. How long do we push on drafting a QB? I'd rather draft a guy and have him learn from a true vet like Ryan for a year or two than come in cold. If this team is going to be competitive for the next few years, we wont have an opportunity to pick this high or have this type of draft capital for a while. 

this is more than realistic. We have no cap for FA's, we have no secondary(besides Terrell), we have no pass rush(besides Grady), we have no running game. You can't expect to fill all these holes with rookies and even if you do, you can't really rely on coaching them up and having them play at a veteran lvl year 1.

too many things need to break our way to have a shot at the playoffs in 2021, including staying healthy, picks panning out, vets not regressing, etc. 

I'm all for giving it one last hurrah with Ryan, **** we have no choice contract wise, but there is only one really smart way to play this in my book. 

3 hours ago, 804_Falconfan said:

Before 2008 teams drafted RBs high and paid them handsomely too. The game has changed. Now, if a QB is drafted at 4 they’re playing.

that said, I also don’t agree most QBs sat at least 1 season before Ryan was drafted. I can think of one instance (Rivers) where a QB didn’t start for more than 1 year, but the situation was very unique with Brees stinking when they drafted him, then become a pro bowler the following season. Carson Palmer sat a full season as well. Vick was close to a full season but not quite. Most others still started before the end of year one if I recall correctly. Of course I am taking about QBs drafted high, as late round one or round 2+ guys are apples to oranges to the 4th pick.

it’s easy to pick and choose supporting arguments for or against drafting a QB, but what happened 10 years ago isn’t on any GMs mind. Gonna be a fun draft because for once we really have no clue...by now we would have been able to narrow it to 1-2 guys w the old regime.

10 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Before 2008 teams drafted RBs high and paid them handsomely too. The game has changed. Now, if a QB is drafted at 4 they’re playing.

that said, I also don’t agree most QBs sat at least 1 season before Ryan was drafted. I can think of one instance (Rivers) where a QB didn’t start for more than 1 year, but the situation was very unique with Brees stinking when they drafted him, then become a pro bowler the following season. Carson Palmer sat a full season as well. Vick was close to a full season but not quite. Most others still started before the end of year one if I recall correctly. Of course I am taking about QBs drafted high, as late round one or round 2+ guys are apples to oranges to the 4th pick.

it’s easy to pick and choose supporting arguments for or against drafting a QB, but what happened 10 years ago isn’t on any GMs mind. Gonna be a fun draft because for once we really have no clue...by now we would have been able to narrow it to 1-2 guys w the old regime.

That's true.

In my eyes, rookie QBs usually get a lot of playing time for one of a few reasons: 1. A bad incumbent QB (Not the case here). 2. Pressure from management to replace incumbent QB (Seems like AS and TF are excited to work with Ryan). 3. Injury to incumbent QB (can't predict that). We really don't have any of those factors here so even if we took Lance at 4, there's no REAL pressure for him to play besides the "you have to play the 4th pick" narrative. 

I'm not saying we should 100% take him or a QB at all at 4. I'm in favor of trading down, but I see the logic behind picking a QB early if it happens. I agree it's going to be a lot of fun. 

7 hours ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I like Lance as a guy who'll sit for a year or two. Seems like he's a fit for AS scheme. I know people will yell "you don't sit a first round pick" but before about 2008 most young QBs sat for at least their first year. 

4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I’m on the older side of things so I’ll bring Alcorn State - Steve McNair into this discussion. He was the the 3rd overall pick in the 1995 draft (Houston Oilers) he was Chris Chandler backup for two seasons before being named the starter his 3rd season when the team moved to Tennessee. 

Yes, he played and even started a few games in the 95 and 96 season when Chandler was hurt, but he was still the backup.

As 89 said this should be a fun draft.

Criticisms sound a lot like Dak Prescott's coming out of college. Dallas got a lot of value with that pick. GM's are scared to miss like that again. It's the reason why guys like Jordan Love went in the first on previous years. He may slip out of the top 15, but will definitely go in the first round.

8 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm doing everything in my power to fall in like with him. I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world since he's going to sit a year or two

I'm really really loving his play the more I watch; even with him and his quirky Aaron Rodgers type delivery that bothers me everytime... haha

1 minute ago, Joey563 said:

I'm really really loving his play the more I watch; even with him and his quirky Aaron Rodgers type delivery that bothers me everytime... haha

I've watched a ton of breakdowns on him. The only thing that bothers me is the missing of wide open targets. He does it alot by alot. I don't not like the guy, he just has a lot of fixable flaws

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I've watched a ton of breakdowns on him. The only thing that bothers me is the missing of wide open targets. He does it alot by alot. I don't not like the guy, he just has a lot of fixable flaws

The other thing I saw pointed out about him is he dips/crouches right before he throws. But i'm with you about fixable flaws and thats why I think he is the perfect fit behind Ryan. Matt, Arthur, and maybe even Julio would teach a lot of those flaws either away or how to minimize them.