YAC Under Arthur Smith

FalconsIn2012

One aspect of our offense that should finally get back on track under Arthur Smith is YAC.  The last two years under Derp Koetter, Ryan ranked 32 of 32 starting QB’s in YAC.  It almost seems impossible with receivers like Julio, Ridley, Gage & Hurst on the team.

Its so frustrating the FO wasted two prime years of Ryan/Julio with such a clueless OC.  A great OC can scheme easy yards for his receivers.  The fact Koetter took our Uber talented receiving corp and finished dead last in consecutive years tells you all you need to know about Derp.

Arthur Smith took Ryan Tannehill and a far less talented receiving corp and finished #2 overal, trailing only Shannahan’s 49ers at 6.2 YAC/Completion.  It will be so nice to see things made easier for the offense once again

18 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

One aspect of our offense that should finally get back on track under Arthur Smith is YAC.  The last two years under Derp Koetter, Ryan ranked 32 of 32 starting QB’s in YAC.  It almost seems impossible with receivers like Julio, Ridley, Gage & Hurst on the team.

Its so frustrating the FO wasted two prime years of Ryan/Julio with such a clueless OC.  A great OC can scheme easy yards for his receivers.  The fact Koetter took our Uber talented receiving corp and finished dead last in consecutive years tells you all you need to know about Derp.

Arthur Smith took Ryan Tannehill and a far less talented receiving corp and finished #2 overal, trailing only Shannahan’s 49ers at 6.2 YAC/Completion.  It will be so nice to see things made easier for the offense once again

You know its cause ole noodle arm couldn't hit them in stride, right? 

He spent most of last year getting killed d/t 5-7step drops and deep vertical routes taking too long to develop. Threw off his back foot most of the season.

Good play action and short-intermediate routes will make ryan deadly.

Edited by Williamb
Addition

Another area we should be able to exploit under Smith is making teams pay for blitzing us.  Last year Ryan was blitzed 204 times (3rd most) but Koetter was unable to make defenses pay for their aggressiveness.  Tannehill was was ranked 3rd best when there were 5 or more pass rushers.  Ryan usually destroys the blitz so i suspect with Smith at the helm, he will be top 5 in this metric again 

And probably the most important area of improvement will be our RZ offense.  The Titans were historically good the last two years in redzone efficiency, converting 77% of redzone trips into TD’s.  That’s the best since the metric has been tracked.  Koo will no longer be team MVP, thank God

Compare that to Dirk’s 52% conversion the last two years.  How did that man cash his paycheck with a straight face

Lifted from 2019 Article. At least post the 2020 numbers to do the analysis. 

Here is the original article talking about 2019.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/07/notable-2019-second-half-performances-2020-impact-fantasy-football/

Can this be sustained?

There are a few things that have me extremely hesitant to expect Ryan Tannehill to continue down that QB4 path that we saw from weeks 14 through 16 in 2019. While Tannehill had a career year in many regards, much of his success came from his receivers’ ability to create after the catch. Titans’ receivers had a stunning 6.2 yards after the catch per completion in 2019 with Ryan Tannehill at quarterback. For context, the top team over the course of the entire 2019 season was the San Francisco 49ers at 5.9 yards after the catch per completion.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/07/notable-2019-second-half-performances-2020-impact-fantasy-football/

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

How many times we gotta do this?  Clearly the problem is us tho...

17 minutes ago, athell said:

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

How many times we gotta do this?  Clearly the problem is us tho...

Here is the real story about YAC for 2020. Any one with half a brain knows the YAC feel under DK from over 2K yards to 1.6 K Yards. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

2020 YAC/Comp

MR: 4.0 Ranked 32/59

RT: 4.8 and Ranked 22/59

Philip Rivers: 6.0 YAC/Comp, Tied for first with Rodgers. 
Should we be concerned that RT under AS had terrible YAC. Falcons missed Julio who was main WR for YAC. 

I am done with wrong narratives, inaccurate data and no references. 

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Sounds like the trade Matt and Julio crowd could be eating crow very soon.

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Here is the real story about YAC for 2020. Any one with half a brain knows the YAC feel under DK from over 2K yards to 1.6 K Yards. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

2020 YAC/Comp

MR: 4.0 Ranked 32/59

RT: 4.8 and Ranked 22/59

Philip Rivers: 6.0 YAC/Comp, Tied for first with Rodgers. 
Should we be concerned that RT under AS had terrible YAC. Falcons missed Julio who was main WR for YAC. 

I am done with wrong narratives, inaccurate data and no references. 

Having Ridley actually run forward instead of sideways and backwards will probably net the falcons another 1000 in YAC.

The inaccurate narratives is one of those things that irritate me the most about this place.

Like I always say...people here get an idea and that is gospel to them...no matter how factually inaccurate it is.

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Having Ridley actually run forward instead of sideways and backwards will probably net the falcons another 1000 in YAC.

The inaccurate narratives is one of those things that irritate me the most about this place.

Like I always say...people here get an idea and that is gospel to them...no matter how factually inaccurate it is.

Yep. It’s not exaggeration, Ridley is a hot mess after catch. It’s ok if you have an opinion but posting inaccurate stats to push fake narrative is scummy. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Yep. It’s not exaggeration, Ridley is a hot mess after catch. It’s ok if you have an opinion but post inaccurate stats to push fake narrative is scummy. 

Well the 1000 yards is an exaggeration but yeah he needs to move his *** forward with the ball in his hands.

10 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Well the 1000 yards is an exaggeration but yeah he needs to move his *** forward with the ball in his hands.

You can see where he's obviously trying to make room on his own, it just doesn't work out. As a speedy slot receiver, he's not like JJ where he can just run through tackles. Sometimes you've got to back up to go forewards.

3 minutes ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

You can see where he's obviously trying to make room on his own, it just doesn't work out. As a speedy slot receiver, he's not like JJ where he can just run through tackles. Sometimes you've got to back up to go forewards.

I understand that but he has cost himself ...and the team bigger plays that could impact the game.

There are numerous ones for 2 plays stick out in my mind.

#1. Vs KC when he had that 50 yarder..Had he kept running straight then he probably scores a TD but his dancing caused him to be tackled....it ultimately did not matter because we still scored on the drive.

#2 what's a very different scenario very different outcome... Versus the bucs he had a chance to keep the game alive if he would just ran up field.... Instead he ended up getting tackled about a yard short of the first down on 4th down and it pretty much ended the game.

Again I get it but he has to learn to get the ball and get up field.... That is his only real weakness to me at this point.

13 minutes ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

Not at the expense of advancing the team, though. Giving up a certain first down in an effort to break a big play is usually not a good idea.

1 minute ago, direwolf said:

Not at the expense of advancing the team, though. Giving up a certain first down in an effort to break a big play is usually not a good idea.

If he could get better, then go for it. Thing is I don't see him as a RAC receiver anyways, he's more of an always-open guy. Much like MT, he'd be good at slants, but he's also better because of his deep threat. Basically, he's more of a catch-and-get-out-of-bounds guy, or so his skillset suggests.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

I understand that but he has cost himself ...and the team bigger plays that could impact the game.

There are numerous ones for 2 plays stick out in my mind.

#1. Vs KC when he had that 50 yarder..Had he kept running straight then he probably scores a TD but his dancing caused him to be tackled....it ultimately did not matter because we still scored on the drive.

#2 what's a very different scenario very different outcome... Versus the bucs he had a chance to keep the game alive if he would just ran up field.... Instead he ended up getting tackled about a yard short of the first down on 4th down and it pretty much ended the game.

Again I get it but he has to learn to get the ball and get up field.... That is his only real weakness to me at this point.

I think a good WCO coach with a clear vision in mind will coach that right out of him. It felt like Ridley was just doing whatever he good to get a few yards because he knew the scheme didn't set them up to get YAC. Ridley will be just fine.

5 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

I think a good WCO coach with a clear vision in mind will coach that right out of him. It felt like Ridley was just doing whatever he good to get a few yards because he knew the scheme didn't set them up to get YAC. Ridley will be just fine.

Nah....that was actually one of the things scouts dinged him on in college.

That is just who he he is.

27 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Nah....that was actually one of the things scouts dinged him on in college.

That is just who he he is.

A WCO isn’t gonna fix that, Ridley has been bad in YAC from day 1. His expected yards after catch is in bottom of the NFL. Basically put an average WR in the same situation, he will do better than Ridley. 
Ridley needs to stop looking for extra yards and be smart about how to maneuver and cut back in space.

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

A WCO isn’t gonna fix that, Ridley has been bad in YAC from day 1. His expected yards after catch is in bottom of the NFL. Basically put an average WR the same situation, he will do better than Ridley. 
Ridley needs to stop looking for extra yards and be smart about how to maneuver and cut back in space.

Exactly

Now a coach *****ing at him all of the time may do it but no system fixes that.

I am just going to *insert rant about "scheme" being an over rated and misunderstood word*

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Exactly

Now a coach *****ing at him all of the time may do it but no system fixes that.

I am just going to *insert rant about "scheme" being an over rated and misunderstood word*

That goes back to detail oriented HC to an extent. The situational awareness under DQ was non existent. Ridley had same problem with Sark, DK. Under Morris as WR coach and others. 
Hopefully As brings in situational awareness. Get a first down if you are behind the sticks, and if you have first down try to get extra yards.

15 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Can this be sustained?

There are a few things that have me extremely hesitant to expect Ryan Tannehill to continue down that QB4 path that we saw from weeks 14 through 16 in 2019. While Tannehill had a career year in many regards, much of his success came from his receivers’ ability to create after the catch. Titans’ receivers had a stunning 6.2 yards after the catch per completion in 2019 with Ryan Tannehill at quarterback. For context, the top team over the course of the entire 2019 season was the San Francisco 49ers at 5.9 yards after the catch per completion.

We had higher YAC with Shanny and with Sark it was decent. It’s Koetter and his routes. While they may have lots of air yards they have no YAC. Ryan’s lowest YAC years were all Koetter. When a true WCO OC helps Ryan he has career years. With both Sark and Shanny Ryan had 4900ish yards and 35/7 TD/INT or better. His worst years? DK with 2012 being an outlier. 

19 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

We had higher YAC with Shanny and with Sark it was decent. It’s Koetter and his routes. While they may have lots of air yards they have no YAC. Ryan’s lowest YAC years were all Koetter. When a true WCO OC helps Ryan he has career years. With both Sark and Shanny Ryan had 4900ish yards and 35/7 TD/INT or better. His worst years? DK with 2012 being an outlier. 

Yeah. It’s not like it is a secret. But 4.8 for Arthur Smith running WCo is concerning.