1 QB on roster?

brewman

48 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I don't think it means anything. And we've never had more than 4 that I can remember in the last 40ish years. And never more than 3 when the season starts. I can't see 5-6 QBs in any situation. 

Yeah, back up and developmental is usually all we carry with the starter.  Smith has to want a vet as a primary backup.

13 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Yeah, back up and developmental is usually all we carry with the starter.  Smith has to want a vet as a primary backup.

Yeah that's all I take out of it. Especially in the pandemic. It's not like they've had camps, preseason or any of that to develop anyone.

I also think it hurts in the development of those guys on the PS or who you draft late and undrafted rookies.

And even when it's over, I see fewer preseason games, fewer offseason programs. The players union will say it helped this past season, and kept players healthier, etc.

They will likely have something for the new guys and rookies probably, but development of those project players might take on less of a role in the future.

9 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

we will draft one why would we spend money we don't have on a vet backup?

It really makes sense to have a vet backup that is somewhat familiar with AS system.  Not saying we aren't drafting a QB, but, I doubt they really want to trust a rookie, any rookie, to be a solid backup if MR2 goes down.  

21 minutes ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

In all seriousness, would not be surprised if we make a move for Mariota. Not that I'm high on the idea, but he knows the system.

God I hope not.  He's the highest paid backup QB in the NFL.  He also struggles with the medium range pass on.  That's a need in Arthur Smith's system.  At least that's the knock I read coming out of Vegas.

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

God I hope not.  He's the highest paid backup QB in the NFL.  He also struggles with the medium range pass on.  That's a need in Arthur Smith's system.  At least that's the knock I read coming out of Vegas.

He's actually the 23rd highest paid, but yeah that's just 600k less than Ryan. I guess that's a NOPE. 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

He makes like 7.2 mill/year now.  Good Gawd that's gaudy numbers for basically an athlete masquerading as a football player.

I think the only FA that played in TN is Blaine Gabbert but maybe C.J. Beathard is in a similar offense. Those are the pickings. They're slim pickins.

15 hours ago, brewman said:

IDK.  Dumping all the QB's other than Ryan makes me think we'll be drafting one pretty high.

We only dumped one QB, and contrary to TATF and their practice squad player love affairs, he sucked, which is why he was cut; he had no value, even as a developmental player.

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

We only dumped one QB, and contrary to TATF and their practice squad player love affairs, he sucked, which is why he was cut; he had no value, even as a developmental player.

He was easy to erase from the books.  Futures contract, and they didn't like him.  An easy decision for them.  What I like is that the new regime has no loyalty to the team in place.  That makes making any decisions more business and less biased.

Yall must really think our new GM and HC are idiots, huh? I mean, yall really think that cutting one practice squad player is a clear indication of what we'll do at 4? If it was really that obvious to a bunch of numbnuts on the internet, do you really think other GMs couldn't also figure it out? You really think Smith and Fontenot are dumb enough to transcribe to the rest of the league what they're going to do this early?

We may draft a QB at 4, but yall's desperate attempts to try and force Benkert being cut as evidence are just silly.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

He was easy to erase from the books.  Futures contract, and they didn't like him.  An easy decision for them.  What I like is that the new regime has no loyalty to the team in place.  That makes making any decisions more business and less biased.

I hope we release Chris Williamson soon. It'll be a clear sign that we're taking Surtain