1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You may think it’s just the coaches job but that’s inaccurate, it takes a villages. To believe that another player wouldn’t/shouldn’t help a rookie player is an asinine statement. A rookie QB can learn a lot by sitting and learning the playbook and asking question of current players. Since Ryan is able to diagnose plays at an NFL level he can pass some of that knowledge off to him. 

lmao this...this is something...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, because we'll be in our feeling for years to come when we have to draft or sign another one. Haste makes waste. These guys you all like are avg at the NFL level.

68 more days of this.

Look bro, you guys got it twisted. Nobody thinks a rookies will come in, and automatically take us to a Super Bowl. Matt is making a killing, and right now, it's killing us. If someone is willing to m

3 minutes ago, athell said:

So you want to keep Ryan around as a 40m teacher?

While eating an additional ~20m in cap over the years on the bench for the rook?

I never said that I did or didn’t. Personally I would select Sewell if he’s there, or trade back and select Surtain, then use that additional  capital to move back into the first and select Harris.

I’m saying that a conversation and consideration should be had/made for selecting a QB at 4. 

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

I never said that I did or didn’t. Personally I would select Sewell if he’s there, or trade back and select Surtain, then use that additional  capital to move back into the first and select Harris.

I’m saying that a conversation and consideration should be had/made for selecting a QB at 4. 

Nah you said it.

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You may think it’s just the coaches job but that’s inaccurate, it takes a villages. To believe that another player wouldn’t/shouldn’t help a rookie player is an asinine statement. A rookie QB can learn a lot by sitting and learning the playbook and asking question of current players. Since Ryan is able to diagnose plays at an NFL level he can pass some of that knowledge off to him. 

It absolutely is not inaccurate. Might Ryan teach a young QB? Possibly. Is it his job? It absolutely is not.

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

But regardless of everything else, qb substitute teacher aside...I do agree with this assessment.  I like the Sewell pick, and the trade back and grab Surtain pick.  I am lock step with you there.

And of course the convo and consideration should be there.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

What exactly do you think a rookie QB learns while sitting? You learn by playing. Having a 40 million dollar 'groomer' is just ridiculous and wasting the rookies time, Ryans time, the coaches time, everybodys time. It's the NFL. There are not years to waste. Grooming is a coaches job, not Ryans.

Absolutely.  Matt Ryan signed a contract to be a QB for the Falcons, not as a QB coach.  I'm sure he'll be professional and be a solid team mate, but the pride, competition and drive will make him want to play the position, not teach it to some kid.   

I would totally understand this stance.  I'd feel that way, and any proud man would.  I'd be "grab the clipboard junior and go sit over there."

4 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You also want to trade UP for a RB? Explains a lot. I agree with the other parts tho.

13 minutes ago, athell said:

This is another area where you are just wrong.  We saw the impact competent coaching had on the same roster.  We saw Dirk bottom out an offense Shanny had riding high.  We saw Morris and Ulbrich bring a defense that was 28th in DVOA after week 4 to 8th prior to week 17.  Coaching matters.  I don't know if this is a foreign concept because you kept stats instead of playing, but it absolutely matters and will absolutely make a huge difference in the short term especially on the offensive side of the ball with guys like Matt.

You honestly look at what Smith turned Tanny into and think he couldn't do that and more with Matt?  Only an idiot would be that limited in their mental capacity.

Our defense faced a cupcake schedule. Sad but true, once we played better teams we lost.

Tannehill is much more versatile than Ryan. We wouldn’t be running the same type of plays with Ryan as they did with Tannehill. 

11 minutes ago, athell said:

Nah you said it.

Nope sure didn’t. 

10 minutes ago, athell said:

But regardless of everything else, qb substitute teacher aside...I do agree with this assessment.  I like the Sewell pick, and the trade back and grab Surtain pick.  I am lock step with you there.

I’m just saying that we shouldn’t limit our options. If our coaches decide we need QB, cool. If they decide we don’t need a QB, I’m cool with that too. Why? Because compared to the professionals, none of us know $hit. 

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You won’t make it better in the short term, nothing will. You’re looking into the future, and focusing on the long term. Only an idiot thinks in a limited capacity. 

So after we hire a vet backup we can have 52mil in a qb. What we shooting for 30% of the cap tied up in a position with 1 guy on the field? I'm in the build a team first with as many top 100 picks as possible, and then drop a qb in there camp.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You also want to trade UP for a RB? Explains a lot. I agree with the other parts tho.

Considering the amount of capital the first trade would get us, we would be walking out with a top tier CB and RB with several additional picks. It explains a lot that you haven’t considered that. 

5 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I'm a sociopath and I don't want a QB at #4 😆 

🤣🤣🤣

That would actually be psychopath, since sociopaths tend to have selective emotion and no empathy. Psychopaths can have very shallow emotions but only for themselves. Zero empathy. Both are able to ape some forms of compassion. 

2 minutes ago, Williamb said:

So after we hire a vet backup we can have 52mil in a qb. What we shooting for 30% of the cap tied up in a position with 1 guy on the field? I'm in the build a team first with as many top 100 picks as possible, and then drop a qb in there camp.

I’m for getting the best players on the team regardless of positional needs. If the coaching staff believes that’s a QB I’ll trust their assessment. If it’s not, I’ll trust that assessment too. I’m merely stating that drafting a QB at 4 has merit. 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4084600-69er-mock-off-season-v10/

Trading down for Surtain has never crossed my mind, you're right.

Never said anything about you not wanting Surtain. Only stating that you weren’t considering the amount of draft capital we could receive. You seemed to be stuck on the RB part, but didn’t consider the remaining portions of the deal. You weren’t thinking critically and allowed emotion to take over. 

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Never said anything about you not wanting Surtain. Only stating that you weren’t considering the amount of draft capital we could receive. You seemed to be stuck on the RB part, but didn’t consider the remaining portions of the deal. You weren’t thinking critically and allowed emotion to take over. 

Won't speak for him, but if I know where he is going it's the positional value at the rb position is that where you can find similar talent to 1st round selections in the 2-4 rounds, therefore trading up would be a waste of draft capital.  

4 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Trading up for a RB is stupid. Never once did i mention anything about whatever it is that you're talking about.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Won't speak for him, but if I know where he is going it's the positional value at the rb position is that where you can find similar talent to 1st round selections in the 2-4 rounds, therefore trading up would be a waste of draft capital.  

Fair point. I can agree with your assessment because it has merit. There’s a big difference between what you said and what he said which was condescending. For me, I think it wouldn’t be that much capital waste to jump back into the draft. I doubt Harris makes it past the Steelers. My idea had us trading our pick to the 49ers picking up even more capital. So there’s that to take into consideration. 

13 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

🤣🤣🤣

That would actually be psychopath, since sociopaths tend to have selective emotion and no empathy. Psychopaths can have very shallow emotions but only for themselves. Zero empathy. Both are able to ape some forms of compassion. 

Ha ha Ill take it!

Nah, in all seriousness, you’re right sports and sports discussions are about emotions and passion. It’s only wrong when hidden agendas exist 

13 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I’m for getting the best players on the team regardless of positional needs. If the coaching staff believes that’s a QB I’ll trust their assessment. If it’s not, I’ll trust that assessment too. I’m merely stating that drafting a QB at 4 has merit. 

Not realistically. But I do agree with your assessment about this front office and will not argue about whatever decision they make. I see good things in this group.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Trading up for a RB is stupid. Never once did i mention anything about whatever it is that you're talking about.

Definitely not stupid but you feel how you feel. You’re the one that backed yourself into a corner by not elaborating your point in a cogent manner. If what @athellsaid in his previous post was how you felt, then I would have said it had merit. Instead you decided to chime in with a condescending remark that didn’t state any of your viewpoints on the subject. It merely just made you look like a jack@ss.