Fontenot's most important quote since becoming Falcons GM

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I, for one, believe building a great team is indeed a good approach for sustained success. Isn’t it nice to have such flexibility with the draft capital the Falcons have this year? It could be that bu

“We don’t want to make decisions in 2021 that are going to hurt us in 2022, 2023 moving forward,” Fontenot said. “So, we’re going to have that big-picture mindset and make sure that we’re going to mak

Perception is a wild one. Anybody can really take whatever quote and justify what it means for the purpose of what you want to do. This could easily go many ways and after it all goes down somebo

Posted Images

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

And if they turn it around Troffed and you’ll be a distant memory with nothing to say.

I have way more confidence in Fonty then Dimi. You and Dimi loved being 7-9 with the thought of next year will be better. And “they” won’t be Dimi. Dimi is done bro. Hopefully Fonty can turn it around with or without your handful of Dimi left overs. Dimi left us in a mess. My local high school team has more depth. 

24 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I have way more confidence in Fonty then Dimi. You and Dimi loved being 7-9 with the thought of next year will be better. And “they” won’t be Dimi. Dimi is done bro. Hopefully Fonty can turn it around with or without your handful of Dimi left overs. Dimi left us in a mess. My local high school team has more depth. 

How is that exactly you know probably bugger all about him outside of which has been written in the media.This is of course if you aren’t closet Aints fan.

Dimi is done but the narrative your trying to portray is straight up BS.

Depth lol is that all you got how bout players that can actually get you over the top and actual top tier talent.How bout ability to build a team capable of winning a SB how bout that one.

Lol and all you can come up is weak comment about depth please.

If you want to have a real discussion start talking about the pluses and minuses of a guy and not just being a dismissive clown pretending the TD has done nothing.Then I might give your comments some credit where there due but for the most part it’s a circus what your typing.

2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

You can build whatever you want to build but in the NFL you ain’t winning **** without a QB. However if you’re like TD and AB and accept mediocrity you just keep on keeping on and be happy to go 7-9 and ALWAYS hope next year or the next year it will finally happen. Yep sure QB does not matter. Hire a GM and tell him QB does not matter. It’s all off the field.....those guys you put on the field doesn’t matter. If you get the right GM they’ll play better regardless of their talent level. That’s what happened with TD. He was perfect and proved it over and over. Just go 7-9 every year and y’all be happy.

TROFFED 

Listen, some people believe Ryan is still a very good QB who was victimized by Dirk Koetter.  Some people believe he is done and needs to be replaced.  How about dropping this BS about accepting mediocrity.  Fans are passionate.  Just because someone does not fully accept your beliefs and your agenda does not mean they want a mediocre team. 

If you want to argue that we need a QB, do that.  But, please, keep the debate honest.  This is getting old reading your comments about how some of us want mediocrity.  Get honest.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

How is that exactly you know probably bugger all about him outside of which has been written in the media.This is of course if you aren’t closet Aints fan.

Dimi is done but the narrative your trying to portray is straight up BS.

Depth lol is that all you got how bout players that can actually get you over the top and actual top tier talent.How bout ability to build a team capable of winning a SB how bout that one.

Lol and all you can come up is weak comment about depth please.

If you want to have a real discussion start talking about the pluses and minuses of a guy and not just being a dismissive clown pretending the TD has done nothing.Then I might give your comments some credit where there due but for the most part it’s a circus what your typing.

Okay - I’ll start with where was theTD pass rush that didn’t exist for 13 yrs? TD couldn’t even take the puzzle out of the box much less put it together. AB liked TD and was emotionally attached to him or he’d been gone years ago for being mediocre.  Look man I know TD is your hero and I understand that. G.I. Joe was my hero back when I was growing up but i finally realized he was a fairy tale. TD is for real and he pretty much sucked so get over it. We’re headed in a new direction as long as AB will stay out da way. Hopefully the new regime can see past the end of their nose and find something besides mediocrity. 
OBTW did your boy wonder boy spiky hair bike rider get a job? Or did the one team he interviewed with want a pass rush? IDK

14 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Okay - I’ll start with where was theTD pass rush that didn’t exist for 13 yrs? TD couldn’t even take the puzzle out of the box much less put it together. AB liked TD and was emotionally attached to him or he’d been gone years ago for being mediocre.  Look man I know TD is your hero and I understand that. G.I. Joe was my hero back when I was growing up but i finally realized he was a fairy tale. TD is for real and he pretty much sucked so get over it. We’re headed in a new direction as long as AB will stay out da way. Hopefully the new regime can see past the end of their nose and find something besides mediocrity. 
OBTW did your boy wonder boy spiky hair bike rider get a job? Or did the one team he interviewed with want a pass rush? IDK

thought you said TD is done? so why do you keep bringing him back up? 

Enquiring minds want to know.

but for the record, it just appears you're trying too hard really

:tiphat:

9 minutes ago, papachaz said:

thought you said TD is done? so why do you keep bringing him back up? 

Enquiring minds want to know.

but for the record, it just appears you're trying too hard really

:tiphat:

Papa - you’re right man. I’m not a TD fan but I’m going to drop him like a pack of Marlboro Lights. Ol TD wasn’t that bad....he just couldn’t find a pass rush -defense -trenches but other than that he was okay. But yeah man I need to drop him😩

1 hour ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Listen, some people believe Ryan is still a very good QB who was victimized by Dirk Koetter.  Some people believe he is done and needs to be replaced.  How about dropping this BS about accepting mediocrity.  Fans are passionate.  Just because someone does not fully accept your beliefs and your agenda does not mean they want a mediocre team. 

If you want to argue that we need a QB, do that.  But, please, keep the debate honest.  This is getting old reading your comments about how some of us want mediocrity.  Get honest.

I think MR is still a very good QB

Don’t be a hater.....some ppl want a new QB with a soon to 36 yrs old starter

If the shoe fits wear it.....some ppl accept mediocrity in all forms of life. I never said you was “us” . Agree or disagree- this franchise has been pretty mediocre for years now. I’d ask you to not take it too personal.....I apologize if I offended you. 

2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Pass rush is that all you got.Guess what every FO known to man has weakness.

AB was attached because TD produced you idiot.

He took the franchise where it had never been in the previous 40 years you clueless donkey.Emotionally attached you say,that’s based around what he produced.

You know nothing about the new regime your just sprouting horse manure to pander to your agenda.They’ve done nothing as a GM and HCing combo so like in your last post how can you say your more confident.Again agenda driven BS.

You also mentioned in the past your a long time fan of the Falcons I’m calling BS on that because the only person you seem to not like is TD and yet can’t or ever recall the 40 plus years of crap that was here before he arrived.

Again I’m calling BS on your agenda driven drivel it’s one sided tainted horse manure without context of what the Falcons were before TD got here.

109-87 regular season

4-6 playoff record

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Pass rush is that all you got.Guess what every FO known to man has weakness.

AB was attached because TD produced you idiot.

He took the franchise where it had never been in the previous 40 years you clueless donkey.Emotionally attached you say,that’s based around what he produced.

You know nothing about the new regime your just sprouting horse manure to pander to your agenda.They’ve done nothing as a GM and HCing combo so like in your last post how can you say your more confident.Again agenda driven BS.

You also mentioned in the past your a long time fan of the Falcons I’m calling BS on that because the only person you seem to not like is TD and yet can’t or ever recall the 40 plus years of crap that was here before he arrived.

Again I’m calling BS on your agenda driven drivel it’s one sided tainted horse manure without context of what the Falcons were before TD got here.

109-87 regular season

4-6 playoff record

Did I mention OL DL and defense. TD is gone - maybe you can get a TD blow up doll to hug on.

21 hours ago, g-dawg said:

“We don’t want to make decisions in 2021 that are going to hurt us in 2022, 2023 moving forward,” Fontenot said. “So, we’re going to have that big-picture mindset and make sure that we’re going to make decisions for sustained success.”

Or maybe you’re just taking classic GM speak and turning it into confirmation bias?

19 hours ago, g-dawg said:

love this.....

to all those wanting to add top free agents and get Falcons to extend Matt & Julio (to create cap space) - I don't see it.   Dimitroff was always breaking open the piggybank and extending guys for one last shot - too many high dollar players coming off three non-winning seasons and Fontenot and Smith don't carry the baggage of Dimitroff and Quinn.    2021 is not the new guys' SuperBowl.

I expect what Joel Corry said in the D-Led article is correct - especially if Falcons go QB at #4.     You could be seeing two of the best Falcons players in Falcons history in their last season w/ the franchise.    Obviously how 2021 season plays out will have an impact but not much of one.

Fontenot is going to take his medicine w/ the salary cap in 2021 and Falcons will be in a position from salary cap in 2022 and beyond for Fontenot and Smith to make this team the way they see fit.

Yeah that's cool and all, but if Matt still gives the team the best chance to win over other QBs, then he stays. Point blank. The current deals are already in place. At this point is just trying to extract the most value out of them as possible. WR are more of a dime a dozen, so Julio will go before Matt does. But Ryan is more likely to stay. Blank wants a Super Bowl. He's essentially giving Smith three years to do it, or at least provide a modicum of confidence that he can get it within a certain time frame. The Falcons went to the Super Bowl with a team worse than what was fielded in 2020 talent wise, and was three runs and a makeable FG away from lifting the Lombardi--oh and Ryan was the league MVP. Ryan really hasn't given the FO or Smith any reason to want to move on from him besides his age.

It's all still a gamble. They can either extend Ryan at a price they're comfortable with and bet that he'll continue to play at a high level and stay healthy as he approaches 40, or spend a high pick on a rookie QB that they'll hope will be good enough for the team to compete for a championship before his rookie contract expires. My guess is, "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know," which means, I'd wager Smith and Fontenot would be more compelled to hitch their wagon to Ryan than to an unknown fresh out of college.

20 hours ago, g-dawg said:

“We don’t want to make decisions in 2021 that are going to hurt us in 2022, 2023 moving forward,” Fontenot said. “So, we’re going to have that big-picture mindset and make sure that we’re going to make decisions for sustained success.”

Of course you can read into this two ways, it all depends on how you perceive what he is saying to mean.

20 hours ago, g-dawg said:

love this.....

to all those wanting to add top free agents and get Falcons to extend Matt & Julio (to create cap space) - I don't see it.   Dimitroff was always breaking open the piggybank and extending guys for one last shot - too many high dollar players coming off three non-winning seasons and Fontenot and Smith don't carry the baggage of Dimitroff and Quinn.    2021 is not the new guys' SuperBowl.

I expect what Joel Corry said in the D-Led article is correct - especially if Falcons go QB at #4.     You could be seeing two of the best Falcons players in Falcons history in their last season w/ the franchise.    Obviously how 2021 season plays out will have an impact but not much of one.

Fontenot is going to take his medicine w/ the salary cap in 2021 and Falcons will be in a position from salary cap in 2022 and beyond for Fontenot and Smith to make this team the way they see fit.

I agree g

15 minutes ago, Cheyakita said:

Of course you can read into this two ways, it all depends on how you perceive what he is saying to mean.

Forget the draft pick at #4 - take it out for a minute.

What I see from this statement is Fontenot's not going to play a lot of games w/ the salary cap in 2021.    While he likely will have to do some money push into future caps, he's going to do it sparingly - I believe he wants to not be locked into very many players and have more options in 2022/2023.

Since Matt & Julio have the largest cap eating contracts, don't think he will do anything much w/ those contracts - Fontenot will want a "three way go"(keep/trade/release) with those guys in 2022.

12 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Papa - you’re right man. I’m not a TD fan but I’m going to drop him like a pack of Marlboro Lights. Ol TD wasn’t that bad....he just couldn’t find a pass rush -defense -trenches but other than that he was okay. But yeah man I need to drop him😩

here's my take. some around here have clamoured for a 'regime change' starting at the top for the last several years. While we still have Mr Blank and his faithful pet Rich, we got everything else, for the most part, new. 

having said that, we can't immediately forget the past few years, because we're stuck with some cap and roster problems. but man, some just need to let go of that, and look forward! We've had but a glimpse so far of what could be coming, but I think this is an exciting time to be a Falcons fan. We once again have HOPE for a better future. 

I don't know. I find it pretty silly to try and claim one quote of Fontenot's as "the most important quote". Especially considering that it is a pretty general statement that most GM's make when their team has just came off two garbage seasons, have little cap space. and have a brand new system coming in. To me that seems like an extremely obvious statement. 

5 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I don't know. I find it pretty silly to try and claim one quote of Fontenot's as "the most important quote". Especially considering that it is a pretty general statement that most GM's make when their team has just came off two garbage seasons, have little cap space. and have a brand new system coming in. To me that seems like an extremely obvious statement. 

of course it is logical what he said - and to me it seems logical that the mindset and goals of a new GM would be different than one that had been with the team for 13 years.    If the Falcons could be fixed in one off-season there would have been no need for a GM change.

Long-term planning takes precedence over short-term planning for a new GM.

I like the quote - to me it bolsters the idea that Fontenot is really in charge and isn't going to be reactionary to a short-term fix.

2 minutes ago, papachaz said:

Fhere's my take. some around here have clamoured for a 'regime change' starting at the top for the last several years. While we still have Mr Blank and his faithful pet Rich, we got everything else, for the most part, new. 

having said that, we can't immediately forget the past few years, because we're stuck with some cap and roster problems. but man, some just need to let go of that, and look forward! We've had but a glimpse so far of what could be coming, but I think this is an exciting time to be a Falcons fan. We once again have HOPE for a better future. 

Well said papa but I think McKay is an asset to the Falcons and especially for Fontenot.  He has a lot of experience in many areas that would allow Fonty to lean on him for help. Based on McKay's comments he's going to stay out of the way unless called on.

I just had a hard time staying on the TD train. Yes he's the best GM in Falcon history, but he kept reaching and couldn't get it done in certain areas and all the overpaid contracts was surely going to catch up sooner or later. It's going to take a year or so for some folks to get over it.

But yes it's an exciting time to be a Falcon Fan with a new regime. I feel great about AS and TF moving forward. This organization needed CHANGE. If that includes a new QB in rd 1.2.3.4.5.6.7 so be it. Let TF do his job. I just don't get all the hate for the fans who want to draft a QB at 4. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but eveyone is entitled to their own opinion. I support TF at this time regardless of who or what he does at 4. It'll be a few years before we really know what's right or wrong. 

One thing will change all the negative stuff about TD DQ DK and even AB past.....it's called WINNING. Winning makes everybody happy and someone has to be held accountable for screwing things up after three straight losing seasons.

🤠

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Forget the draft pick at #4 - take it out for a minute.

What I see from this statement is Fontenot's not going to play a lot of games w/ the salary cap in 2021.    While he likely will have to do some money push into future caps, he's going to do it sparingly - I believe he wants to not be locked into very many players and have more options in 2022/2023.

Since Matt & Julio have the largest cap eating contracts, don't think he will do anything much w/ those contracts - Fontenot will want a "three way go"(keep/trade/release) with those guys in 2022.

And if Matt and/or Julio rebound in a big way for AS’s offense?

Just as easy to extend Matt and figure out Julio separately if need be; if we are talking logically.

I like the thought of biting some of the cap issues in 2021, but it could also be a means to keep Ryan; TBD Julio due to injuries.

I could see Julio being moved within 2 years and Matt getting extended.

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

That's exactly what this is, and every other thread claiming "see I told you they're gonna take a QB."

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Where is the confirmation bias?  

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That’s why it’s called a bias.....everybody sees it but you. 🤪

21 hours ago, g-dawg said:

love this.....

It may have absolutely nothing to do with QB and merely cap decisions to be able to build around Ryan better in years to come.

Here is a thought: Backload some FAs this year; unless they are already 30yo vets...(who are unlikely sign for very short term (1 year) deals in 2021 specifically...unless they are closer to vet min)

If you signed some 4 year contract mid level FAs, and having eaten more cap by not restructuring everyone this year, those future years have players eating some of the savings by backloading them...while extending some in-house veterans is still an option later...you also have room to further backload the few in house players you deem worth keeping. It’s layers not necessarily painting self into corner. Still create outlets and flexibility.

Of course, there is a debate over that approach because of the short term dollars not being on paper yet we know the cap is fluid. We’d actually be in great shape to do whatever today if revenue didn’t bring down the cap instead of its projected growth to $210M+...

Buying a year wrt cap alone, that’s a valid conversation. It still seems like they will restructure some depending on the actual cap. They are obviously working on projections of roster and salaries worth touching etc with the pending cap.

27 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL bro, that’s why it’s called a bias.....everybody sees it but you. 🤪

not raiding the 2022 and 2023 cap to lower Matt and Julio's numbers has nothing to do w/ confirmation bias and it isn't a "tell" on the 4th pick overall.    Regardless if Falcons go Justin Fields, Penei Sewell or trade down and take a cornerback -   Fontenot would do well not to steal cap room in '22-'23 for a team that cannot win a SB in 2021.