Fontenot's most important quote since becoming Falcons GM

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I, for one, believe building a great team is indeed a good approach for sustained success. Isn’t it nice to have such flexibility with the draft capital the Falcons have this year? It could be that bu

“We don’t want to make decisions in 2021 that are going to hurt us in 2022, 2023 moving forward,” Fontenot said. “So, we’re going to have that big-picture mindset and make sure that we’re going to mak

Perception is a wild one. Anybody can really take whatever quote and justify what it means for the purpose of what you want to do. This could easily go many ways and after it all goes down somebo

Posted Images

love this.....

to all those wanting to add top free agents and get Falcons to extend Matt & Julio (to create cap space) - I don't see it.   Dimitroff was always breaking open the piggybank and extending guys for one last shot - too many high dollar players coming off three non-winning seasons and Fontenot and Smith don't carry the baggage of Dimitroff and Quinn.    2021 is not the new guys' SuperBowl.

I expect what Joel Corry said in the D-Led article is correct - especially if Falcons go QB at #4.     You could be seeing two of the best Falcons players in Falcons history in their last season w/ the franchise.    Obviously how 2021 season plays out will have an impact but not much of one.

Fontenot is going to take his medicine w/ the salary cap in 2021 and Falcons will be in a position from salary cap in 2022 and beyond for Fontenot and Smith to make this team the way they see fit.

I, for one, believe building a great team is indeed a good approach for sustained success. Isn’t it nice to have such flexibility with the draft capital the Falcons have this year? It could be that building around an established QB is the smartest move for not just 2021, but 2022 and 2023 moving forward.manning.jpg.f9279c687547fcff2cc8d4c940041a1f.jpg

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

love this.....

to all those wanting to add top free agents and get Falcons to extend Matt & Julio (to create cap space) - I don't see it.   Dimitroff was always breaking open the piggybank and extending guys for one last shot - too many high dollar players coming off three non-winning seasons and Fontenot and Smith don't carry the baggage of Dimitroff and Quinn.    2021 is not the new guys' SuperBowl.

I expect what Joel Corry said in the D-Led article is correct - especially if Falcons go QB at #4.     You could be seeing two of the best Falcons players in Falcons history in their last season w/ the franchise.    Obviously how 2021 season plays out will have an impact but not much of one.

Fontenot is going to take his medicine w/ the salary cap in 2021 and Falcons will be in a position from salary cap in 2022 and beyond for Fontenot and Smith to make this team the way they see fit.

That dude is on point.  We have so many needs.  When you look at 2022 and realize we have under 20 players under contract and only 8 starters under contract.  We are paper thin across the board

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That dude is on point.  We have so many needs.  When you look at 2022 and realize we have under 20 players under contract and only 8 starters under contract.  We are paper thin across the board

Are we planning to not draft players capable of starting?

Will we not keep SOME presently projected FAs as starters while stop-gapping starter needs in FA...similar to what the Falcons will do this offseason? (Per TF’s philosophy btw lol)

:munch:

But remember, the cap for that year will be impacted by another unexpected pandemic. It could be that things will get thinner than paper thin; since we know it will be exactly as projected today with all factors considered. ;)

Perception is a wild one. Anybody can really take whatever quote and justify what it means for the purpose of what you want to do.

This could easily go many ways and after it all goes down somebody is going to look back and say "SEE! I told you this is what he meant." 

It's the offseason and exciting especially after the terrible season so I'm happy we all get to speculate, but simply put....things do and don't mean what you think.

Happy hunting for those next few quotes that give you "insight."

6 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Perception is a wild one. Anybody can really take whatever quote and justify what it means for the purpose of what you want to do.

This could easily go many ways and after it all goes down somebody is going to look back and say "SEE! I told you this is what he meant." 

It's the offseason and exciting especially after the terrible season so I'm happy we all get to speculate, but simply things do and don't mean what you think.

Truth.

Hey, if we grab a QB? Let’s go. It is one way to build that great team we have been lacking.

^Maybe then better use of resources; which having them hasn’t been the problem despite being overly focused on, will yield a better team on the field. When coupled with the; hopefully, now better coaching staff?

Can’t wait to see what this team can become with Arthur Smith and the staff he has set up; whichever roster direction is taken. Hey, if Ryan has a rebound in production/efficiency (they go hand in hand); virtually guaranteed barring injury, worst case is we can decide to move him for draft capital/financial reasons (no other way to deal with the cap sadly) and get that future in there for the sure thing he is! ;)

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Are we planning to not draft players capable of starting?

Will we not keep SOME presently projected FAs as starters while stop-gapping starter needs in FA...similar to what the Falcons will do this offseason?

:munch:

But remember, the cap for that year will be impacted by another unexpected pandemic. It could be that things will get thinner than paper thin. ;)

We will add 2-3 starters via the draft, but so will every other team  But the point remains, most teams have 14 or more starters under contract in 2022.  The fact we have 7 is a significant concern.  We are paper thin  

The table below is what we have under contract for 2022.  These players count 175 mill against the 2022 CAP.  This isn’t a very talented group outside of the first 6 players.  We have lots of work to do

Matt Ryan

Julio Jones

Grady Jarrett

Jake Matthews

Dante Fowler Jr.

Deion Jones

James Carpenter

Tyeler Davison

Chris Lindstrom

A.J. Terrell

Kaleb McGary

Marlon Davidson

Keith Smith

Matt Hennessy

Kendall Sheffield

John Cominsky

Mykal Walker

Jaylinn Hawkins

Qadree Ollison

Sterling Hofrichter

9 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

It's the offseason and exciting especially after the terrible season so I'm happy we all get to speculate, but simply put....things do and don't mean what you think.

💯

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

love this.....

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones most likely give the Falcons the best chance to win in 21, 22 and 23. Especially Matt. 

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

“We don’t want to make decisions in 2021 that are going to hurt us in 2022, 2023 moving forward,” Fontenot said. “So, we’re going to have that big-picture mindset and make sure that we’re going to make decisions for sustained success.”

This quote alone is why I have to give TF and AS the benefit of the doubt. I have made it very known I am a Wilson guy, but I am pretty confident that your guy Fields will be drafted by us at #4. Just makes too much sense with out current roster situation and he would see the field(no pun intended) in certain situations as well.

Edited by PointSwayzee
43 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We will add 2-3 starters via the draft, but so will every other team  But the point remains, most teams have 14 or more starters under contract in 2022.  The fact we have 7 is a significant concern.  We are paper thin  

The table below is what we have under contract for 2022.  These players count 175 mill against the 2022 CAP.  This isn’t a very talented group outside of the first 6 players.  We have lots of work to do

Matt Ryan

Julio Jones

Grady Jarrett

Jake Matthews

Dante Fowler Jr.

Deion Jones

James Carpenter

Tyeler Davison

Chris Lindstrom

A.J. Terrell

Kaleb McGary

Marlon Davidson

Keith Smith

Matt Hennessy

Kendall Sheffield

John Cominsky

Mykal Walker

Jaylinn Hawkins

Qadree Ollison

Sterling Hofrichter

Yes, like we did in 2017...wait? No. The key is who you draft and using the capital wisely.

And those cap figures will change yet again. The details have you gripped despite their flexibility. Fluid not concrete. This is where you lose people. You project as though it’s one way when it’s not. That disingenuous.

You could add 5 key contributors from this very draft. Another team can wind up with 0. We had no significant contributor to the 2020 Falcons from 2017; unless you count Brian Hill.

So, no. Every team won’t have actually 2-3 starters via the draft.

Over generalization is biting your takes.

No one knows what the cap will be in 2022. 2020 proved that. It’s not the problem. It’s fluid.

Who you take. How they are coached. Plus, accounting for avoiding injuries...is well, a variable no one controls.

Draft better. Avoid wasteful FA spending. Profit.

EDIT: I should be consistent and say Takk was indeed a starter but was obviously a bad pick now that we know. TJ instead of trading up for Takk. :doh: Kazee had trouble beating out a physically limited Rico; let alone be successfully converted to FS before injury in 2020....many saw Rico was also beyond his pay grade. Those are the roster decisions worth talking about. Wasteful money and underperforming “starter” draft picks (injury or otherwise).

Edited by Ergo Proxy

In Fontenot's first press conference he said he wasn't going to give any details away. In the Huddle and Flow podcast, when he was pushed for info, he told the hosts he told them before they went on air that he wasn't going to give any info away. Everything he has said about this roster from his opening press conference to both of the podcasts hes been on have been a lot of words and no substance. The hatred of Matt Ryan, blaming him for everything that has gone wrong and wanting him gone has blinded those fans to to the reality that Fontenot has said nothing 

38 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Matt Ryan

Julio Jones

Grady Jarrett

Jake Matthews

Dante Fowler Jr.

Deion Jones

James Carpenter

Tyeler Davison

Chris Lindstrom

A.J. Terrell

Kaleb McGary

Marlon Davidson

Keith Smith

Matt Hennessy

Kendall Sheffield

John Cominsky

Mykal Walker

Jaylinn Hawkins

Qadree Ollison

Sterling Hofrichter

Troffed 

3 hours ago, wnyfalconfan said:

In Fontenot's first press conference he said he wasn't going to give any details away. In the Huddle and Flow podcast, when he was pushed for info, he told the hosts he told them before they went on air that he wasn't going to give any info away. Everything he has said about this roster from his opening press conference to both of the podcasts hes been on have been a lot of words and no substance. The hatred of Matt Ryan, blaming him for everything that has gone wrong and wanting him gone has blinded those fans to to the reality that Fontenot has said nothing 

Eh, people shift it to blaming the cap situation...

Good thing the draft has the Falcons in a great spot.

I mean, if any players were worth keeping from the 2017 draft; wouldn’t that have been nice?

Ridley most certainly will be a player not in the list some hang their hat on in this very thread. Or are we anticipating Calvin’s 5th year option isn’t picked up? ;)

I also believe 2018’s draft atleast have players worth considering, but wait we don’t believe in having players signed but will criticize not having those said players “locked up” (Oliver, Senat...at least Gage and Foye became players but Troffed?)...and certainly we couldn’t choose to set up future impending FA contracts in a way to work with a salary cap and plan for relief at the same time...such as viably drafting with our prime 2021 positioning. ;)

Infuse the roster. Maybe needs based FA moves that fit.

I wonder if player production can change with coaching in addition to these things.

🤔😏🤓

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think building for the future has more to do with whats done off the field than what it is on.I mean think about it the foundation is the FO not the QB or any position group in particular.

You build a house on sand what do you think the rest looks like.Building for the future has already started.

You can build whatever you want to build but in the NFL you ain’t winning **** without a QB. However if you’re like TD and AB and accept mediocrity you just keep on keeping on and be happy to go 7-9 and ALWAYS hope next year or the next year it will finally happen. Yep sure QB does not matter. Hire a GM and tell him QB does not matter. It’s all off the field.....those guys you put on the field doesn’t matter. If you get the right GM they’ll play better regardless of their talent level. That’s what happened with TD. He was perfect and proved it over and over. Just go 7-9 every year and y’all be happy.

TROFFED 

I think the most important thing that TF has said is all the unsaid things.  It's clear they are setting in motion a plan.  They separated themselves from three players already, and perhaps more to follow.  Without a doubt they are heavily watching tape of our existing players and scouting the **** out of everyone else's FA class.  

What he doesn't say means far more.  What he says is a pile of niceties to not tip his hand.  That's being intelligent.

16 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

You can build whatever you want to build but in the NFL you ain’t winning **** without a QB. However if you’re like TD and AB and accept mediocrity you just keep on keeping on and be happy to go 7-9 and ALWAYS hope next year or the next year it will finally happen. Yep sure QB does not matter. Hire a GM and tell him QB does not matter. It’s all off the field.....those guys you put on the field doesn’t matter. If you get the right GM they’ll play better regardless of their talent level. That’s what happened with TD. He was perfect and proved it over and over. Just go 7-9 every year and y’all be happy.

TROFFED 

How do you know the next guy that’s coming isn’t as your trying to portray Ryan going foward ?

How do you know AS and TF aren’t going to hit the ground running like TD and co did.

Theres a lot of cluelessness with what your trying to portray here.Heaven forbid a Falcons fan is aloud to be optimistic about given changes while people like you live in fear of the worst.

Tell you what keep living there keep expecting the worst.

I bet if the tide changes quickly we won’t hear boo from you and if it doesn’t you’ll be in the I told you so clown parade.

Way to go sitting on the fence putting yourself out there shot champ.

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

How do you know the next guy that’s coming isn’t as your trying to portray Ryan going foward ?

How do you know AS and TF aren’t going to hit the ground running like TD and co did.

Theres a lot of cluelessness with what your trying to portray here.Heaven forbid a Falcons fan is aloud to be optimistic about given changes while people like you live in fear of the worst.

Tell you what keep living there keep expecting the worst.

I bet if the tide changes quickly we won’t hear boo from you and if it doesn’t you’ll be in the I told you so clown parade.

Way to go sitting on the fence putting yourself out there shot champ.

TROFFED again

4 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I am the OP and I make no claim as to whether the Falcons will or will not take a QB at #4 - feels 60/40 to me that they will but much depends on who they like and if that QB will be available.   I don’t see Fontenot trading up - at a minimum he will want to keep as many picks as he has now, if not add.

I do believe Fontenot isn’t committing to Matt or Julio past 2021 and, from a cap standpoint, he isn’t going to do anything to make their cap number lower this year and higher in future.   

Fontenot likely wants to keep his powder dry for 2022 - to me, that is what the statement he made said.