There Maybe 4 or 5. QBs Taken in Top 10 of This Draft

Perhaps I simply don't know enough of football in general, and freely admit my ignorance of college ball.  But, I just don't see 5 QBs going in the top ten.  4 would be crazy.  3 at this point may be a given.  

Darnold for a second?  Ninersnation with the rumor.  That would probably get a few phone calls.  Darnold to Denver?  

9 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Perhaps I simply don't know enough of football in general, and freely admit my ignorance of college ball.  But, I just don't see 5 QBs going in the top ten.  4 would be crazy.  3 at this point may be a given.  

Darnold for a second?  Ninersnation with the rumor.  That would probably get a few phone calls.  Darnold to Denver?  

I just posted this because there is another Article (Rumor)  out there that stats the Eagles may trade with Dolphins with all the draft capital they received from the Wentz Trade to move up to pick 3 for a QB

Edited by blknoble357

Just now, blknoble357 said:

I just posted there is another Article (Rumor)  out there that stats the Eagles may trade with Dolphins with all the draft capital they received from the Wentz Trade to move up to pick 3 for a QB

The times are crazy bro.  That would not surprise me.  I have never seen Darnold play, at all.  But, my friends tell me he has skills and is a former first round pick.  The Jets are not an ideal locale for anyone right now.  Heck, I'm sure a change of scenery would benefit him.  Great post man.  I enjoy your takes.

4 minutes ago, Aluminafalcon said:

If 1,2,3 are qb I say we go Sewell or pitts. Whichever one Arthur smith considers the bigger need I’m okay with

QBs at 1, 2, and 3 is our worst case scenario. It all hinges on Miami I think.

I expect Lawrence and Wilson to go 1 and 2 although whether Wilson goes to the Jets or any of 3-4 other teams is anyone's guess.

I just hope one of the top 3 are there at #4 so we have trade down potential. Otherwise I could see Sewell, Pitts or Chase if we get no takers.

I’m not 100% convinced Lawrence is the best QB in the draft. He’s good. But he’s not Lombardi in a couple years or rookie of the year good. 
That said, there are a lot of teams in need so I wouldn’t be shocked to see 10 QBs go within first 2 rounds. More likely first 3 rounds.  We’ll see. 

T shirt slogan here!

7 hours ago, celtiksage said:

QBs at 1, 2, and 3 is our worst case scenario. It all hinges on Miami I think.

I expect Lawrence and Wilson to go 1 and 2 although whether Wilson goes to the Jets or any of 3-4 other teams is anyone's guess.

I just hope one of the top 3 are there at #4 so we have trade down potential. Otherwise I could see Sewell, Pitts or Chase if we get no takers.

that's exactly why (IF we're thinking trade-down) i would want them to make the deal before draft day. waiting to see what happens with picks 1-3 is risking losing the trade value of the #4 pick.

32 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

that's exactly why (IF we're thinking trade-down) i would want them to make the deal before draft day. waiting to see what happens with picks 1-3 is risking losing the trade value of the #4 pick.

Has this ever happened for the #4 pick. I know it's happened for 1 and 2.

Considering there's only 3 QBs that would likely go in the top 5, trading up to #4 before the draft even starts seems way out in left field unless a team is either 1) satisfied with taking Lance at #4 or 2) they have targeted 4 players they want that could all be off the board at 5, and they see a drop in talent level after the 4th pick.

I can't see either scenario happening. 

Without knowing who is available at 4 by the team trading up, that just seems like a totally obscure course of action.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

6 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Considering there's only 3 QBs that would likely go in the top 5, trading up to #4 before the draft even starts seems way out in left field unless a team is either 1) satisfied with taking Lance at #4 or 2) they have targeted 4 players they want that could all be off the board at 5, and they see a drop in talent level after the 4th pick.

Without knowing who is available at 4 by the team trading up, that just seems like a totally obscure course of action.

You can have a deal in place, if the right player falls. Do the trade. GMs do have trade talks before they go in to draft room. Not every deal is made when the clock starts ticking. 

3 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Without knowing who is available at 4, that just seems like a totally obscure course of action.

hey, all it takes is one gm feeling some pressure to make a splash. i know it's not highly likely, but you never know.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You can have a deal in place, if the right player falls. Do the trade. GMs do have take before they go in to draft room. Not every deal is made when the clock starts ticking. 

Well of course they're talking on the phone prior but it's still an in-draft trade. Yeah you can be sure that's happening. Even TD did that. Hahaha

But yeah, I think that sort of cross talk prior is a given.

9 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I would be totally shocked if 5 didn't go in the top ten..  If my life depended on getting this right.. I'd say at least 5 QBs will be drafted in the top  10.  But your right at knowing this may not have ever happened before. ,,  I've never saw it on this fashion.. But I truly believe that at least 5 will be taken in the first ten picks.

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You can have a deal in place, if the right player falls. Do the trade. GMs do have trade talks before they go in to draft room. Not every deal is made when the clock starts ticking. 

4 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Well if course they're talking on the phone prior but it's still an in-draft trade. Yeah you can be sure that's happening. Even TD did that. Hahaha

But yeah, I think that sort of cross talk prior is a given.

i wonder how much more you could get by waiting until the draft. like, say if you could get a couple 1sts and a 2nd in a pre-draft agreement, how much more could you get when the clock is ticking and gm's start panicking.

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i wonder how much more you could get by waiting until the draft. like, say if you could get a couple 1sts and a 2nd in a pre-draft agreement, how much more could you get when the clock is ticking and gm's start panicking.

There is always room to maneuver on draft day if the GMs start bidding. But usually you would have got multiple calls before the draft. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I'd say by the time the draft starts,, everybody in the top half of the draft will know 1. What they want to do.. and 2. What the other teams in the top half of the first round is willing to do , and 3. What the rest of the first round would like to do.. especially those who would like to trade up.  I think that's a given.. A lot of calls will be made before draft day to get a feel of who may be willing to move down or up.

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

I think a lot of it in the first round is already projected and conversations have already taken place by the start of the draft. "Would you take X, Y and Z for #4?"

There was a video some years ago with TD talking to a lot of his counterparts days in advance of the draft. He mentioned something about talking to another GM who was feeling out what it would take to trade up and in this instance he told him what a second team had already offered. He went back and forth with those other 2 GMs until a general consensus was reached.

In answer to your question, I don't know if you would get more or less on the day of the draft. I guess it depends on the specific GMs talking. Some, for instance, might not like making hasty decisions at all and are more inclined to have prearranged potential trades. They might feel like someone is trying to pull a quick one on them.

Just guessing here, but I think a war room "committee" would already have specific target players they want in specific rounds. They probably also rehearse this before the draft. They know they have X players they want by a set point, and they've discussed what happens if a trade offer happens at various points in the draft (how it affects their target players).

Just like places you may have worked, you have meetings before your meetings. And sometimes pre-meetings before your meetings before the real meeting. Hahaha Yes, if your organization does those things it's usually an ongoing joke before the real meeting.

I'm sure not to many teams are "winging it" very often. Most of these guys are on first name bases with the others, and already have a general idea of what it will take to move with so and so.

Having said that (sidebar), Denver has the most trade ups into the high first of any other team. TF should already have called Denver, but also Philly, Chicago, WFT and anyone else wanting a QB (or WR, LT).

It would be interesting to know though who gets ripped off on draft day with blind calls.