New Atlanta Falcons Offense and Tight Ends

*TMo*

2 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I wouldn't hate it. If you feel he's bpa and no one wants to make a good trade offer just take him. Pretty much the best pass catcher in the draft and fits the system. If he's the guy, you take him and have confidence in your scouting.

Yeah bro. Never be scared to go BPA. At any position. The draft is about the future. Current holes have to be filled in FA.

6 minutes ago, k-train said:

It's Jonnu, and if you are implying that the Falcons should try to get him... ain't happening. Smith is gonna get paid in all likelihood. Spotrac estimates his value to be $8M per year & OverTheCap has him at $7.4M.

Yeah but Pitts should be in our window with the rest of the BPA group at four. He's a TE and WR. Think Waller on steroids. Sounds ludicrous but he is on that level.

42 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah but Pitts should be in our window with the rest of the BPA group at four. He's a TE and WR. Think Waller on steroids. Sounds ludicrous but he is on that level.

Did you mean to quote someone else?

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

Haha, remember back when Reeves drafted OJ Santiago in the 3rd, then Reggie Kelly with a high 2nd, then Alge Crumpler with another high 2nd.....our fans were coming unglued. Kelly was just a blocker, but Alge was a stud

You know, not to change the subject, but I always felt Reeves got a bum deal with his reputation regarding TEs. If people think back, he took over a team that had been running the Red Gun / Run-n-shoot offense for the previous decade. Those offenses didn’t use TEs, so his cupboard was bare when he came to the team. It was just the ridiculous trade for Kelly made it seem so much worse. 

19 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

You know, not to change the subject, but I always felt Reeves got a bum deal with his reputation regarding TEs. If people think back, he took over a team that had been running the Red Gun / Run-n-shoot offense for the previous decade. Those offenses didn’t use TEs, so his cupboard was bare when he came to the team. It was just the ridiculous trade for Kelly made it seem so much worse. 

Good point and you are right about the Kelly trade as well, that was what set fans into conniption fits! Reeves had a heck of a running game with JA as well, his offense was really good when he had the right pieces.

ive always maintained Reeves was one heck of a good coach, but one heck of a poor GM. 

On 2/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, 1989Fan said:

I feel like there’s always a best in a long time label on prospects each draft. Look at the TEs that have gone high...OJHoward, Eric Ebron, Noah Fant...I just don’t value the position that high TBH. I would much rather take Freiermuth in round 2 who can do it all.

mid actually rather a QB at 4 than Pitts and I’m not for a QB that high, but the positional value helps justify it to me.

Yeah a TE is nice to have but not a deal breaker if you dont have one.  😉

On 2/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, 1989Fan said:

I feel like there’s always a best in a long time label on prospects each draft. Look at the TEs that have gone high...OJHoward, Eric Ebron, Noah Fant...I just don’t value the position that high TBH. I would much rather take Freiermuth in round 2 who can do it all.

mid actually rather a QB at 4 than Pitts and I’m not for a QB that high, but the positional value helps justify it to me.

I think Pitts is going to be much, much better than any of the guys you mentioned.

7 hours ago, Mescalito said:

I think Pitts is going to be much, much better than any of the guys you mentioned.

He could be, nobody knows for sure. OJ Howard IMO is the best comparison for the hype he is getting coming out. Many thought he would go top 5-10, and then raved how the Bucs had the steal of round 1 getting him at 19. Can’t miss prospect, except he missed.

TEs often translate to the NFL game at a slower rate for some reason, another reason why taking one at 4 is poor value IMO. Nothing against Pitts himself or his talent potential.

4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

He could be, nobody knows for sure. OJ Howard IMO is the best comparison for the hype he is getting coming out. Many thought he would go top 5-10, and then raved how the Bucs had the steal of round 1 getting him at 19. Can’t miss prospect, except he missed.

TEs often translate to the NFL game at a slower rate for some reason, another reason why taking one at 4 is poor value IMO. Nothing against Pitts himself or his talent potential.

I usually watch every Alabama game, and I knew Howard was overrated and wasn't anything special.  He just never impressed me.  I figured he would be a serviceable TE in the NFL and that's about it.  I was surprised he was drafted so high honestly.  Did you watch any Florida games this year?  Pitts is a different kind of animal and leaps and bounds better than Howard.  I feel like he is going to be unstoppable in the NFL like he was in college.  Of course, this is all opinion and I could end up being very wrong.  I'm wrong a lot about football.  Haha.  Maybe we can revisit this in a year...

There is a lot of talk in this thread about high end receiving TE's but not much about blocking. Arthur Smith was TE coach in Tennessee for Delanie Walker's very productive post-49ers run. Walker was a beast blocking and doing the little things. 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You never have enough TEs bro. Look at the last few Championship teams. TEs in the mix. Gronk, Kelsey, Ertz you name it.

Matt Ryan's best years came when he had a bonafide TE on the roster. And a running game. Decent defenses. Gotta back to that.

DECENT DEFENSES 🤣😂

I believe we need to utilize TE. 
I believe we underutilized Hurst. 
When I have said this before there’s always somebody saying “he dropped a pass”. So did JJ. Everyone drops passes. It’s a weird shaped ball and it’s fast as crap and there are people with helmets trying to hit you. So...

Love Ryan or don’t, we should all be able to agree that A - he’s the guy next season and B - he’s way better at short than long these days. 

TE route play fits perfectly with what Ryan is best at right now. I’m some idiot and I know that. So it kills me that the staff didn’t see that last year but I digress. 
Give Ryan 2 WR on medium or 1 deep, plus a TE short posts or slants plus a RB who can catch (credit where due, Gurley could catch) and suddenly our hit rate and our red zone gets better. Our 3rd down conversion improves. 

And best of all (maybe) this takes pressure off Rid and JJ because 2 more sets of hands means defenses can’t afford to double Matt’s targets. 

My opinion. 

I see over at Walterfootball.com they have Pitts going to the Jets. Seems like his value going up. Most likely Sewell will be there at 4.If you trade down your risking Pitts going to Philly. It's a gamble anyway you look at it although trading down should ensure another 2nd rounder and another piece to build the team. Worst case scenario Pitts and Sewell are gone but option 3 take Surtain or highest ranked corner. A 4th option not much talked about trade down a 2nd time pick up more picks. Draft Kwity Paye middle of the first could help the pass rush and give the Falcons more picks to maneuver or add pieces.

1 hour ago, Falconsailorman said:

I see over at Walterfootball.com they have Pitts going to the Jets. Seems like his value going up. Most likely Sewell will be there at 4.If you trade down your risking Pitts going to Philly. It's a gamble anyway you look at it although trading down should ensure another 2nd rounder and another piece to build the team. Worst case scenario Pitts and Sewell are gone but option 3 take Surtain or highest ranked corner. A 4th option not much talked about trade down a 2nd time pick up more picks. Draft Kwity Paye middle of the first could help the pass rush and give the Falcons more picks to maneuver or add pieces.

I don’t care what Walter mocked, There is no chance Pitts goes #2.

If Pitts somehow goes before the Falcons @ 4 it either drops another top player for us to take or to entice a trade down. 

Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis were the highest drafted TEs in modern history at #6. Mike Ditka was taken 5th back when FBs were taken in round one (1961). And in 1960 there was also a TE taken 1st overall.