Ranking all eight candidates to go worst to first in 2021 NFL season - Gil Brandt

"We're gonna suck next year and there is no way we won't" crowd divert your eyes...

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-all-eight-candidates-to-go-worst-to-first-in-2021-nfl-season

Atlanta Falcons
NFC South · 4-12

Encouragingly for the Falcons, when I talked with people who worked for teams searching for head coaches, they said Arthur Smith jumped out at them in terms of his charisma and ability to excite people. There is no question Smith has offensive talent to work with in Atlanta. Even if the Falcons select a quarterback fourth overall in the draft, Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere in the short term, and neither is receiver Julio Jones. The key for that unit will be fielding a strong rushing attack, which is something Atlanta has lacked ever since Kyle Shanahan left the offensive coordinator position to take over San Francisco after the 2016 season. The defense still needs work personnel-wise and will no doubt be high on new GM Terry Fontenot's to-do list, but coordinator Dean Pees has a strong track record of success. And while the division is home to the defending Super Bowl champion Buccaneers, New Orleans could be vulnerable, presuming Drew Brees retires, while Carolina is in the midst of its own rebuild.

20 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

We all saw that with better planning, a scheme and some real coaching we were a playoff team, believe it or not.   

why try for a SB now? So what if the experts are saying they think we will bounce right back next year? 

We should break it all down, cut Gradys, Ryans  and Julios, trade all our picks and move up for a QB.  Then, in 3 years, we can find out of that QB is a bust or not!

28 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

We all saw that with better planning, a scheme and some real coaching we were a playoff team, believe it or not.   

Sadly, some of these posters that have come out of the woodwork this offseason saw something different.  At least we know what side of reality we are on though ;) 

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

why try for a SB now? So what if the experts are saying they think we will bounce right back next year? 

We should break it all down, cut Gradys, Ryans  and Julios, trade all our picks and move up for a QB.  Then, in 3 years, we can find out of that QB is a bust or not!

The scary part is there are folks here that actually believe this.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

The scary part is there are folks here that actually believe this.

Now, that is scary.   Regardless of what is said, we still have some talent on the team.   We build a run game and a defense - and we're set - but even with the terrible defense and pathetic run game - we still would have likely made the playoffs last year if not for the terrible coaching.

Let's just let the onside kick roll til Dallas jumps on it, let's just score here and let Stafford take it back for the win, let's just use timeouts poorly and call plays that are long and drawn out so our QB can see the roof.  Let's go for field goals when we need a TD or a 4th down when we're on our own goal line.

17 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Now, that is scary.   Regardless of what is said, we still have some talent on the team.   We build a run game and a defense - and we're set - but even with the terrible defense and pathetic run game - we still would have likely made the playoffs last year if not for the terrible coaching.

Let's just let the onside kick roll til Dallas jumps on it, let's just score here and let Stafford take it back for the win, let's just use timeouts poorly and call plays that are long and drawn out so our QB can see the roof.  Let's go for field goals when we need a TD or a 4th down when we're on our own goal line.

You got it, sister!  Clean up the bone headed mistakes and the record looks MUCH different.

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Honestly, idgaf about the ranking I'm more concerned with the narrative.  Online rankings mean squat.  The narrative that we are closer than some think is what interests me.

If you go by logic and use the data from last year. It’s obvious Falcons were 8-9 win team than 4. You don’t lose 7-8 close one score games in a single season. It was almost a black swan event. Add new coaching changes, it should trend upwards of 8-9 games. 

Edited by falcons007
1 minute ago, athell said:

You got it, sister!  Clean up the bone headed mistakes and the record looks MUCH different.

Our team ran around like the Keystone Kops last year.  Defense looked like every episode of Benny Hill without the hot chicks.  Having a clue what the identity of the team is, and build that is fundamental.  We tried to take disparate parts and make a "TEAM".  It's hard to build a team with no vision, no plan, and just throw it out there.

Lets just agree to disagree and this has nothing to do with drafting any sort of QB at 4.  I just don't see the talent and think this is your middle of the road 7-9/8-8 team. I don't think we were 4-12 bad,  but I have no illusions about being a contender either. I think being in the middle is sometimes worse that being really crappy, so that is why this draft must be a homerun. 

Facts are facts..3 straight losing seasons. All these advance stats mean absolutely nothing to me and I deal with data all day every day. Same "what if's" and "should have been's" for 3 years straight. Go tell Vegas that you want your money back because "logic" says we were a 8-9 win team.  

Put up or Shut up at this point...look back one year and you will literally see the exact same posts. We should have won this, we were the best team in the NFC if there was only a 2nd half. Literally excuse and slanted stat after excuse and slanted stat. 

3 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Lets just agree to disagree and this has nothing to do with drafting any sort of QB at 4.  I just don't see the talent and think this is your middle of the road 7-9/8-8 team. I don't think we were 4-12 bad,  but I have no illusions about being a contender either. I think being in the middle is sometimes worse that being really crappy, so that is why this draft must be a homerun. 

Facts are facts..3 straight losing seasons. All these advance stats mean absolutely nothing to me and I deal with data all day every day. Same "what if's" and "should have been's" for 3 years straight. Go tell Vegas that you want your money back because "logic" says we were a 8-9 win team.  

Put up or Shut up at this point...look back one year and you will literally see the exact same posts. We should have won this, we were the best team in the NFC if there was only a 2nd half. Literally excuse and slanted stat after excuse and slanted stat. 

Just give Smith and Fontenot a chance.  All I'll say.  Pees too.  Coaching is immensely critical at this level and outs has been poor for a long long time.  I agree with your put up or shut up stance, the time is now, and I get the pessimism considering the past but man this new regime has a whole new feel to it and for the first time in a long time I am genuinely excited.  I was not happy with Quinn and Dirk.  I was not happy with Smitty and Nolan.  TD has his issues as well.  He wasn't as bad as some made him out to be but he had his issues.

Only thing I wanted to say was just give this new regime a chance before writing them off.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to how close we actually are with the right staff in place.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

To those skeptical, any personnel/player decisions off the field  should ALSO be influenced by said better people at those jobs. (That should go without saying but sometimes needs to be spelled out)

We tend to have hero gazers from the casual ranks; which most fans are, and it contributes to a misconception that individual players can overcome their consistently bad odds all of the time. (When weighing all relevant information)

That just doesn’t happen.

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

To those skeptical, any personnel decisions should be influenced by said better people at those jobs.

We tend to have hero gazers from the casual ranks; which most fans are, and it contributes to a misconception that individual players can overcome their consistently bad odds all of the time. (When weighing all relevant information)

That just doesn’t happen.

Watson just had one of the best seasons a qb has ever had.

Texans 4-12.

It's deeper that some think.  It's why I'm so optimistic and you know how I feel about optimism!

19 minutes ago, athell said:

Just give Smith and Fontenot a chance.  All I'll say.  Pees too.  Coaching is immensely critical at this level and outs has been poor for a long long time.  I agree with your put up or shut up stance, the time is now, and I get the pessimism considering the past but man this new regime has a whole new feel to it and for the first time in a long time I am genuinely excited.  I was not happy with Quinn and Dirk.  I was not happy with Smitty and Nolan.  TD has his issues as well.  He wasn't as bad as some made him out to be but he had his issues.

Only thing I wanted to say was just give this new regime a chance before writing them off.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to how close we actually are with the right staff in place.

I will. I honestly will and hope beyond hope these are the guys. I understand we have a new regime and they should not pay for the previous regimes downfalls. However, the records in the past are irrefutable regardless of the ridiculous metrics some go to try and prove this was anything but a losing team.

For the record I like AS much more than the TF hire. He is the anti-Quinn and that is exactly what the team needs, Again, not seeing the talent so only time will tell. But I absolutely will give AS his chance, TF will have a longer lease because of his position.

15 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I will. I honestly will and hope beyond hope these are the guys. I understand we have a new regime and they should not pay for the previous regimes downfalls. However, the records in the past are irrefutable, regardless of the ridiculous metrics some go to try and prove this was anything but a losing team.

For the record, I like AS much more than the TF hire. He is the anti-Quinn and that is exactly what the team needs, Again, not seeing the talent, so only time will tell and I'm not a talent evaluator. But I absolutely will give AS his chance, TF will have a longer lease because of his position.

14 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I will. I honestly will and hope beyond hope these are the guys. I understand we have a new regime and they should not pay for the previous regimes downfalls. However, the records in the past are irrefutable regardless of the ridiculous metrics some go to try and prove this was anything but a losing team.

For the record I like AS much more than the TF hire. He is the anti-Quinn and that is exactly what the team needs, Again, not seeing the talent so only time will tell. But I absolutely will give AS his chance, TF will have a longer lease because of his position.

Yeah, I'm not even looking to the past anymore.  Let that **** rot.  Lots of negativity and embarrassing moments.  This Fontenot/Smith pairing man, I don't know what it is but it has me excited to be a fan of this team again.  I haven't felt this for a while, probably since the SB season.  

AS and TF ended up being my #1 picks so I am over the moon excited for them.  It'll be cool to see Terry in his first free agency season here, I have a feeling it's going to look VERY different from any Dimitroff period.  And as you said, we still have a ways to go, free agency, draft, but man PM me after all that and let me know your thoughts.  I could be wrong but my gut tells me it's gonna be a great offseason and I wanna know your thoughts when the time comes.

Just now, athell said:

Yeah, I'm not even looking to the past anymore.  Let that **** rot.  Lots of negativity and embarrassing moments.  This Fontenot/Smith pairing man, I don't know what it is but it has me excited to be a fan of this team again.  I haven't felt this for a while, probably since the SB season.  

AS and TF ended up being my #1 picks so I am over the moon excited for them.  It'll be cool to see Terry in his first free agency season here, I have a feeling it's going to look VERY different from any Dimitroff period.  And as you said, we still have a ways to go, free agency, draft, but man PM me after all that and let me know your thoughts.  I could be wrong but my gut tells me it's gonna be a great offseason and I wanna know your thoughts when the time comes.

LOL...hope that PM comes with my tail between my legs and a 1st round QB(notice I did not say at #4 though, that called evolution for me)

11 minutes ago, athell said:

Some of us can shed baggage from the past better than others. I was thoroughly disgusted the last two seasons, was unhappy we kept DQ after 2019 and man, when we started off last year I couldn’t watch anymore. Disgusted.

That said, that $&#@ is behind us. The problem, which was the coaching staff, is gone.  I have known all along the problem was coaching and that we had talent on the roster.  Therefore I’m stoked at the off-season and feel the same about AS and TF. I’m also stoked we have one of best QBs in NFL with a bevy of high draft picks to beef up the talent level on both sides of ball.  We have some young up and comers as well. We can get top quality help immediately via the draft.

As far as free agency, all teams have holes.  So it’s not as impossible as it may seem. You just need to get lower profile players to plug some holes that don’t suck, ones that can just do their jobs and let some of the stars shine. 

1 hour ago, PointSwayzee said:

The thing is, the majority of teams in the NFL on talent alone are actually MUCH closer than you think. The difference between a team like the falcons and a team like the Saints is actually really small. This is why coaching is so important