I think the big back idea is lazy. Freeman tore it up in a similar system and is the polar opposite of Henry. With that said, a Henry-style back that can catch like Najee or Williams would be a welcome addition.

I care more about it being a three down back that can make Ryan’s life easier as he loses arm strength (like Kamara with Brees) and/or give a young QB easy first down throws than i do size.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does Henry need Smith?

Yes

Arthur Smith has came out and said that he doesn't need a Henry, nor is he looking for the "next Henry".

Posted Images

3 hours ago, XXVIII-III said:

Really curious to see how Smith approaches the RB position. Who will he pound the table for? How much will he emphasize the need to bring in a stalwart asap? How much will he be in Fontenot’s ear?

I’m excited to getting back to a dominant running game ala Turner to compliment our pass game. Imagine if we had that with our current WR lineup.

Can’t wait to see what happens!

I feel confident that Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot realizes we NEED another RB....who it'll be, is anyone's guess.  I would be happy with Harris, or that type Running Back....maybe even Ettienne.  I guess we have to leave it to the professional talent evaluators!  And I can't wait to see what happens, either!!! 

Really curious to see how Smith approaches the RB position. Who will he pound the table for? How much will he emphasize the need to bring in a stalwart asap? How much will he be in Fontenot’s ear?

I’m excited to getting back to a dominant running game ala Turner to compliment our pass game. Imagine if we had that with our current WR lineup.

I don’t think he needs a Henry. I do believe he needs a heavy run game. 

He may not - but I wouldn't be upset if he finds one.

I think, Arthur's philosophy uses what he has and he builds around it, adding a piece or to to make the vision work.  My guess, a solid utility back would be good here.  Ito, if he makes the team, could be a nice receiving/change of pace back.  To me, Ollison is the wild card.  Cutting him really saves nothing.  He has reasonably fresh legs as he got zero game time with the previous regime.  

Tl/dr adding a solid runner to compliment what we have goes a long way.

3 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

I think Smith is smart enough to ulitilize whomever he has back there and build upon their strengths. There is only one Henry, just like there was only one Michael Turner. 

Agree. That's the huge advantage of having Smith ~ he can make use of whoever is at hand to become his Henry-of-this-season and not miss a beat.

He doesn’t need a Henry.  Dirk Koetter with MJD actually ran at a higher % than Athur did last year.  This team is built around the passing game, and I think Arthur, true to his stated commitment of flexibility and playing to strength, will continue to keep that as our strength. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t simultaneously build a strong run game, but it does mean we don’t need an all-pro RB that can carry the team.  

5 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Is this the Henry who had 40 yards rushing in the playoff game? 

The difference is that Tannehill is a play action QB who needs a successful run game to set up his passing game. Once you kill the run he isn’t good enough to pass his team out of trouble - he’s basically a poor mans Ryan. Ryan has proven for the last 5 years he doesn’t need a successful run game to still make plays passing. Trade down to 10-25 and get Najee and I really believe our Offence is sweet 

Smith needs a respectable rushing attack, but not necessarily a Henry to accomplish it. As a parity paralysis survivor, I've seen enough remake rosters bomb at the box office. It's time to stop being sequel suckers, flip the script and start building an uniquely organic identity.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, Summerhill said:

Is this the Henry who had 40 yards rushing in the playoff game? 

I am excited that AS is coming here to be coach. But the fact that AS couldn't adjust the offense to open Henry up in a playoff game does bug me somewhat. 

3 hours ago, fuego said:

I am excited that AS is coming here to be coach. But the fact that AS couldn't adjust the offense to open Henry up in a playoff game does bug me somewhat. 

It just means that when you get into the playoffs, good defenses shut down good running backs. So if you want to win in the playoffs, you better plan on having an even better defense and a good QB because star running backs are irrelevant.