Will Calvin Ridley be a Falcon long term?

What are the chances the Falcons keep Calvin Ridley long term under the Terry Fontenont and Arthur Smith regime? He's not going to be cheap and we are hurting financially. But he's a very good player. What do you think will happen when it's time for Ridley to get paid?

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ridley is already an All-Pro WR(2nd team). He is definitely a top 10 WR right now. Could emerge in top 5 discussions soon if Smith fixes the offense.   ......and if he stops running backward

I think you have to look at it with a wide angle lens, factoring in the cap ramifications over the next several years. 2021 This is the final year of Ridley's current deal & he will be 27 years

Agreed 100% yeh julio spent a lot of time on the sideline but  it's those 4-8m fringe starter guys that gutted this team. Rico, carpenter, brown, trufant and alford, bailey, clayborn (prob the only on

5 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

This is a very valid question. Ridley is very good. But do you want to pay him top 5 money or top 15 money? I think his ceiling on the field is top 15 but players like this usually end up signing for top 5 money. 

Ridley is already an All-Pro WR(2nd team). He is definitely a top 10 WR right now. Could emerge in top 5 discussions soon if Smith fixes the offense.

......and if he stops running backwards.

11 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Ridley is already an All-Pro WR(2nd team). He is definitely a top 10 WR right now. Could emerge in top 5 discussions soon if Smith fixes the offense.

Exactly.You pay the man hes elite even with the broken offense he was in the past two years. You dont let young elite wrs you drafted walk. Julio will be gone or take a cut.

Definitely not a hard question. 

43 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I hope Calvin Ridley gets some serious playoff experience before he gets paid. I need to see how he does in a playoff atmosphere.

Just now, red falcon said:

Yep vicious cycle. From roddy to julio now ridley.

It's a good problem to have between mathis and roddy we couldnt find a WR in that era like we cant find a DE now. It was bad.

I think ridley will get 4/60-70m if I had to guess have his contract end when rookie QB contract ends.

1 minute ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

It's a good problem to have between mathis and roddy we couldnt find a WR in that era like we cant find a DE now. It was bad.

I think ridley will get 4/60-70m if I had to guess have his contract end when rookie QB contract ends.

Yeah brother im not upset. Glad ridley is on the roster. Teams have to game plan for him.

13 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Paying Julio big money was never the problem. It’s paying players like Rico the problem. You can’t pay players that are replaceable. Like Foye is a nice player but Atlanta would be wise to let him walk. 

Agreed 100% yeh julio spent a lot of time on the sideline but  it's those 4-8m fringe starter guys that gutted this team. Rico, carpenter, brown, trufant and alford, bailey, clayborn (prob the only one that was worth it), freeman, and so on...

Hey MVP, is it you that keeps bringing this insane topic up?  I've seen this like 4 times & every single time it boggles my mind?

This dude is the real deal & JJ is in his twilight years.  This couldn't & shouldn't happen I don't think.  Seems like some folks are ok considering it as a viable option though.  Geeeeeesh.

If we are going to resign him then it makes sense to do it early, as you’ve more leverage now than if we leave it until later.

If I am giving top of market contract to a non-QB skilled position player, I’d rather pay a top TE than a WR because the top of the TE market is cheaper and I think they provide much better positional value.

1 hour ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

If you can get him on a 4 year deal then sure. He is a bit older than most at this point and really don't like paying receivers in their 30's big $$.

I don't think you could get him at 4/60, but sign me up if you can.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

People on this board have cried about julio's contract for year upon years yet are lining up to do the same thing all over again lmao

I think people get restless when Falcons pay a lot of money to a player who either seems to or misses a lot of games. I know, they do the same about Matt and he does not miss many games. But at WR, when you have Ridley balling out, it’s natural to ask about JJ. Not saying it’s right, but people gonna ask.