IF we traded down, where's the sweet spot?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing that's becoming clearer to me is, if we trade back, the sweet spot for us is probably between 10-15. The top tier wants for most teams in the top ten are offensive players, which we don't ne

We would have to call you, "Mister pudding pants" is this correct?   🤣

Bruh, you just got rocked by Draftnut of all people. Logout ASAP

3 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

To be honest, Belichick's reign on top was a very odd anomaly though.

Bill had way more success with inherited players and cast-off's than with a good bit of his draft picks.

And it can never be said enough: He and Brady spent 20 years winning in a division that never once had one viable QB to face. Seldom a viable team. 

That division was a total dumpster fire until the last year or two. 

4 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

To be honest, Belichick's reign on top was a very odd anomaly though.

Bill had way more success with inherited players and cast-off's than with a good bit of his draft picks.

You’re right Don, he was a master in plucking other team’s cast offs. But folks underrate just how well he did over the long term in trading down in the draft. 

http://www.otherleague.com/franchises/success-belichick-trading-nfl-draft/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/4/15/15164566/nfl-draft-trades-patriots-won-bill-belichick

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You’re right Don, he was a master in plucking other team’s cast offs. But folks underrate just how well he did over the long term in trading down in the draft. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/4/15/15164566/nfl-draft-trades-patriots-won-bill-belichick

Thing was he didn’t even draft particularly well, especially the last ten years, but he had a lot more room for error so it allowed him that luxury.

16 minutes ago, Vandy said:

BB is a very good scout. I remember reading or watching about his strategy on grabbing players in FA. The Patriots scouted ton of players even if they picked up in late first round. They would use that against in the games or when some of these guys got cut. BB always keep an eye on who he couldn’t get. 

I say 8-9. Still get a top 10 pick and I want to start in the trenches with LG and get Slater. My second pick is definitely Williams. After Williams I would go DL with McNeill. I want to finally start up front with both lines. Hopefully in FA we can get a FS and a pass rusher.

Edited by ike barn87987
4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I say 8-9. Still get a top 10 pick and I want to start in the trenches with LG and get Slater. My second pick is definitely Williams. After Williams I would go DL with McNeill. I want to finally start up front with both lines. Hopefully in FA we can get a FS and a pass rusher.

None of that would disappoint me.

4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I see a trade back w Denver as the sweet spot. Get some additional picks and be in the range for a defender like Parsons, Rousseau, Farley, Surtain or lock down a lineman like Slater.

The more I look at the board, the more I'm convinced that we need to trade down twice. We really need four starters -- safety, corner, pass rusher, and RB. That last one is the only spot where I'd feel comfortable drafting somebody outside the top 75.

21 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i agree with all that except the "gotta have" javonte williams comment. not that i don't like the guy, i think he'll stud out, but he's one of 7 or 8 guys that i'd love to get. this is a really deep running back class this year.

He's 2 years younger than Etienne and Harris, and SO well rounded. And did what he did without an OL to speak of. He did have a good QB and RB running mate, though.

On 2/19/2021 at 4:35 PM, JohnnyFranchise said:

i agree with all that except the "gotta have" javonte williams comment. not that i don't like the guy, i think he'll stud out, but he's one of 7 or 8 guys that i'd love to get. this is a really deep running back class this year.

"Gotta have" I guess might be strong. But he's my draft crush, and my favorite RB coming out this year. We'll see how the draft plays out, but at least in mocks and sims, he appears to be very undervalued in comparison to Harris or Etienne. And I think he'll not only be a better value, but just plain better than either.

There is no sweet spot imo. I think its more likely that we trade back no later than around 15 because not many people wanna move from 20 and higher for a player because it costs so much draft capital. 

I'm fine with moving back multiple times and acquiring picks. But I would be completely shocked if we moved back into the 20's with one trade.