How much rope does Smith and Fontenot get?

Oddly enough, all Smith has to do to win everybody over is have a competent, creative offensive scheme that is able to run the ball and score in the red zone consistently. 

BUT, the short leash isn't even on the offensive side of the ball. DP is the critical component. Their tenure here will be 100% judged on his ability to field a competent defense that can generate pressure and get off the field on third down.

He has done it consistently over time, but as we all know, this is where great defensive minds go to die. I think most every  fan is going to be focused on that side of the ball when deciding if this is a successful staff or not. 

9 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Yep. 

Literally no one in the NFL had that luxury in recent past. KS was a rare example where he got 6 year guaranteed, do what you want to rebuild. There is no bring your own players in NFL and wait for 4-5 years.  Two losing season, you are likely heading to GA state line. Lucky if you get a third year.

Yeah I feel that but I think they deserve the shot at purging the roster of DQ folks. The roster should win some games as it is, but to expect a new front office to spin miracles with so little cap space is a big expectation. KS had high draft picks and a metric **** load of cap. I hope they let these guys do work and build their culture. 

4 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Yeah I feel that but I think they deserve the shot at purging the roster of DQ folks. The roster should win some games as it is, but to expect a new front office to spin miracles with so little cap space is a big expectation. KS had high draft picks and a metric **** load of cap. I hope they let these guys do work and build their culture. 

That’s a very dramatic take to say the least. McKay and AB have both said this roster has enough to win this year and next year. They also said expectations are much higher.  Heck if a new coach thinks these are not my players, I want him gone now. AS and TF shouldn’t play the favorites, my players, DQ players or who ever. Put the best player on the field and win. 

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Fans have zero bearing on whether the team wins or lose. ****, we don't even have a homefield advantage because we play in a mall.

Anyone who has followed this team for an extended time, has EVERY right to be down and pessimistic.

Great, keep up the good work then bro.  I've been watching them forever man.  Maybe when our attitudes change, we'll see it become reality.  I get what you're saying.  My point was more as a cheerleader & encourager.  It's cool I get it man.

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Great, keep up the good work then bro.  I've been watching them forever man.  Maybe when our attitudes change, we'll see it become reality.  I get what you're saying.  My point was more as a cheerleader & encourager.  It's cool I get it man.

41 years here...you have that beat?

Edited by PointSwayzee

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I'm right there with you maybe longer.

Up till about the Petrino thing they could no no wrong in my eyes and every year held eternal hope. Now, it's hard facts and reality and I give 2 ***** about positivity(regarding football). Save that **** for something that actually matters. This is football and every fan that has spent a cent on this franchise through the years can whatever the **** they please.

You, stay positive...cause it's bound to change someday. Worked for Dan Quinn.

7 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Up till about the Petrino thing they could no no wrong in my eyes and every year held eternal hope. Now, it's hard facts and reality and I give 2 ***** about positivity(regarding football). Save that **** for something that actually matters. This is football and every fan that has spent a cent on this franchise through the years can whatever the **** they please.

You, stay positive...cause it's bound to change someday. Worked for Dan Quinn.

Dude, I've been thoroughly disgusted for quite some time.  I show it all the time on here.  I am not precluding myself of my own wishes here.  I've had to look at it with a sense of humor otherwise I'd be walking the streets mumbling to myself.  If I have learned anything it's to look at it for what it is... entertainment & a game.  

We care, so that we have in common.  I was distraught after the SB, more than you know buddy.

23 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Dude, I've been thoroughly disgusted for quite some time.  I show it all the time on here.  I am not precluding myself of my own wishes here.  I've had to look at it with a sense of humor otherwise I'd be walking the streets mumbling to myself.  If I have learned anything it's to look at it for what it is... entertainment & a game.  

We care, so that we have in common.  I was distraught after the SB, more than you know buddy.

Well said.

I think that any new staff deserves a minimum of 3 years, except in exceptional circumstances (I.e unless we are historically bad in year 1 or 2).

This staff is in an quite an unusual situation though. It is likely that we are going to try to compete with what we’ve got for at least a year, and we could conceivably decide to postpone our rebuild for 2 or 3 years.

If we do that, we could well be worse in year 3 than in year 1 if we have a new young starting QB because of where we are in the rebuilding process, so we need to make some allowance for things like that.

I think Blank is quite patient on the whole. He wants success, but he also values and covets continuity, so he’s not too eager to pull the trigger.

24 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

I think that any new staff deserves a minimum of 3 years, except in exceptional circumstances (I.e unless we are historically bad in year 1 or 2).

This staff is in an quite an unusual situation though. It is likely that we are going to try to compete with what we’ve got for at least a year, and we could conceivably decide to postpone our rebuild for 2 or 3 years.

If we do that, we could well be worse in year 3 than in year 1 if we have a new young starting QB because of where we are in the rebuilding process, so we need to make some allowance for things like that.

The latter is my biggest fear as a Falcon Fan. Blank and McKay said this team is good enough to win, yet is has not in 3 straight years, same failed prognostication again and again. So, in my eyes they are just flat out wrong, regarding their thoughts or opinions on the roster, I mean we are not winning, right? If we are trying again to force open the very closed window and have another 2 losing seasons or even worse .500 seasons...Smith is gone after year 2. If we draft a QB at 4, then I would say he gets at least 3.

If Blank was 70, would this team be looking to try and win now or rebuilding. I know what I think.

Edited by PointSwayzee

There is a lot of talent on this team already. I would expect immediate success. I'm not saying SB or fire everybody, but if we go 0-16 changes need to be made. I honestly expect to be playoff contenders this upcoming year. If we miss the playoffs but have a decent record, 10-6 to 6-10 range, then give it another year...my 2 cents

On 2/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, falcons007 said:

That’s a very dramatic take to say the least. McKay and AB have both said this roster has enough to win this year and next year. They also said expectations are much higher.  Heck if a new coach thinks these are not my players, I want him gone now. AS and TF shouldn’t play the favorites, my players, DQ players or who ever. Put the best player on the field and win. 

They’ll always say expectations are high. They’ll never say expectations are lower. If we run a different offensive and defensive scheme, then the players will matter. We have seen enough square peg in a circle whole. I’m not talking favorites when I say their guys. I’m talking their type of players to maximize success in the scheme. Adaptability is cool but you draft and sign people based on how they will be maximized in a particular scheme. Hopefully that makes sense. I’m hyped up on morphine after donating a kidney. 

8 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

They’ll always say expectations are high. They’ll never say expectations are lower. If we run a different offensive and defensive scheme, then the players will matter. We have seen enough square peg in a circle whole. I’m not talking favorites when I say their guys. I’m talking their type of players to maximize success in the scheme. Adaptability is cool but you draft and sign people based on how they will be maximized in a particular scheme. Hopefully that makes sense. I’m hyped up on morphine after donating a kidney. 

Much respect, hope you are recovering well.