How much rope does Smith and Fontenot get?

I have been thinking about this.

How much time should they get before they are judged fairly?

The last 2 coaching changes have yielded pretty much immediate results.

5 strait winning seasons for Mike Smith including an NFC championship game for a franchise that never had back to back winning seasons.

3 strait none losing seasons including a Superbowl and a follow up playoff season  in 17 ( just as a freindly reminder...Matt Ryan still has more playoff victories than Drew Brees over the last 8 years. :) And the falcons still have more playoff wins since 2016 than the saints....just saying 

TD built 2 NFC championship caliber teams within 4 years of each other and any success that we have in 2021 is going to be based on the foundation that he built.

So while the last 3 years have not been ideal, when the picture as a whole...the bar has been set pretty **** high.

So how long your guys mind do they have before a change needs to be considered?

I realize that the knee jerk fans are going to call for their head in the preseason (assuming there is a preseason this year)

But most people here are fairly level headed.....to a point atleast.

So what say you? How quickly should we realistically expect success?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm looking at more competence than success early on tbh.  If the team looks like a good team should look, I would expect success to follow.  Seeing the FA signings and picks competing and doing well.

Probably fired before August.

On the flip side of that......they deserve a chance for a couple years with their guy at QB. Matt is not their guy.

I'm looking at more competence than success early on tbh.  If the team looks like a good team should look, I would expect success to follow.  Seeing the FA signings and picks competing and doing well.  Seeing the offense and defense look capable of success.  Those types of things and those types of things should be evident early on.

I'm ok with the team looking like it isn't the most talented in the world this season with the way the cap is right now. I just want the future to look bright with a great draft class and great in-game strategy and adjustments to know we have the right coach to give the talent to when our cap situation gets better over the next couple of years. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

In NFL on an average it’s two years of no success. Two losing seasons, and you are out or on a very hot seat. Second year is grave yard for NFL coaches.  

That seems to be where I am falling aswell.

After year 2 if there is not noticable improvement then I think year 3 is make or break.

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

I dont think so with this regime.....however I think they get it together pretty quickly 

Mckay has said point blank ( pun intended) that they expect the team to win....that the talent is here to win so I think yeah after 2 years if there is not a noticable difference.......butts are gonna get warm.....with a quickness 

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Mckay has said point blank ( pun intended) that they expect the team to win....that the talent is here to win so I think yeah after 2 years if there is not a noticable difference.......butts are gonna get warm.....with a quickness 

Maybe....but I dont think so....losing seasons....salary cap ****....best players aging....I think they get the benefit of the doubt....and I dont think Blank is trying to go through this again in two short years...

Just my opinion 

2 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Maybe....but I dont think so....losing seasons....salary cap ****....best players aging....I think they get the benefit of the doubt....and I dont think Blank is trying to go through this again in two short years...

Just my opinion 

There is all of that .

That is why I posed the question.

There are so many variables to consider.

If this was 2015 again when you had Matt and Julio in their absolute prime.....I think the conversation is different.

But Matt will be 36

Julio will be 31 or 32

We still have several 26 year old  good players but alot of our foundational guys are creaping near 30.

Just now, falcons007 said:

It’s not just AB though, it’s pretty much the norm in NFL. AS and TF better win in first two seasons. 

Not disagreeing but a lot of holes to fill and competing with Brady and Brees plus an up rising Panthers team.  I doubt we can fill those holes and win 9-10 gms this year...maybe next

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

On the flip side of that......they deserve a chance for a couple years with their guy at QB.

Matt is not their guy.

And you know that how?  Certainly might not be. They didn’t draft him. But they could just as easily decide that they could “adopt” Ryan. Truth is, we do not know either way. They have been deliberately ambiguous. 

Just now, falconsd56 said:

There is all of that .

That is why I posed the question.

There are so many variables to consider.

If this was 2015 again when you had Matt and Julio in their absolute prime.....I think the conversation is different.

But Matt will be 36

Julio will be 31 or 32

We still have several 26 year old  good players but alot of our foundational guys are creaping near 30.

Something to think about....but he didn't hire them for that....he clearly said whatever they need to do....

None of that matters....maybe yall want it to matter because of allegiances to certain players....I'm not tied to players.. I'm tied to the franchise 

You dont bring on TF...AS....and the staff they have assembled and say oh by the way....you got 2 years.....I'm sorry....I cant concur 

2 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

And you know that how?  Certainly might not be. They didn’t draft him. But they could just as easily decide that they could “adopt” Ryan. Truth is, we do not know either way. They have been deliberately ambiguous. 

This is true.

I have no doubt that they are going to like him....Matt is likeable and smart....there is no reason on earth why they would not like him.

14 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Something to think about....but he didn't hire them for that....he clearly said whatever they need to do....

None of that matters....maybe yall want it to matter because of allegiances to certain players....I'm not tied to players.. I'm tied to the franchise 

You dont bring on TF...AS....and the staff they have assembled and say oh by the way....you got 2 years.....I'm sorry....I cant concur 

I agree with that but if the team has not shown markable improvement after a couple of years then how long do they have?

Remember Smith is only on a 3 year deal.