All 1st Round QBs 2009-2016 No Longer w/Team

Not sure what to make of this and if it applies to us at all, but this is a heck of a stat.  All first round QBs drafted from 2009-2016 are now no longer with the team that drafted them.  If anything I think we’re starting to see the breaking point of QB salaries.  They’ve gotten so high that if you don’t have a top 5 guy, is it really worth it to pay a 10-20 QB 30-35 mil/year?

What's even crazier is that half of them (11 of 22) are no longer in the league.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/18/no-qbs-drafted-from-2009-16-are-set-to-be-with-team-that-drafted-them/

There were 22 quarterbacks drafted in the first round between the 2009 and 2016 seasons and all of them came with hopes that they’d lead their teams for years to come.

Some of those players had extended runs with their original teams, but, as Field Yates of ESPN notes, none of them are expected to be with the team that drafted them when the 2021 season gets underway. Carson Wentz was the last of the 22 set to be with the same team, but Thursday’s word that the Colts and Eagles have agreed on a trade means it will be a clean sweep as long as that trade and the Matthew StaffordJared Goff swap go through as planned.

Stafford was the first overall pick in 2009 and had the longest run with his original team. The full list of the quarterbacks is below:

2009: Stafford, Lions; Mark Sanchez, Jets; Josh Freeman, Buccaneers.

2010: Sam Bradford, Rams; Tim Tebow, Broncos.

2011: Cam Newton, Panthers; Jake Locker, Titans; Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars; Christian Ponder, Vikings.

2012: Andrew Luck, Colts; Robert Griffin III, Washington; Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins; Brandon Weeden, Browns.

2013: EJ Manuel, Bills.

2014: Blake Bortles, Jaguars; Johnny Manziel, Browns; Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings.

2015: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers; Marcus Mariota, Titans.

2016: Goff, Rams; Wentz, Eagles; Paxton Lynch, Broncos.

There were three quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 2017 draft. Two of them — Mitch Trubisky and Deshaun Watson — may be with different teams next year, but it seems unlikely that Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs will be splitting up in the near future.

13 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If you go back to 08... Ryan is the only one standing with his original team.

But drafting a qb this year is a sure fire bet for the Future!!!!!!!

Just because all these QBs aren't on their teams anymore doesn't mean they didn't provide really good value for at least part of this period. At the very least Stafford, Newton, and Luck were definitely worth their draft picks. Just because they couldn't hang as long as Ryan doesn't mean they didn't still have value, especially if the alternate is Luke McCown or someone like that. 

My favorite was Paxton Lynch. The dude was absolute garbage in college and only threw screen passes. Any time he had to throw downfield it was very meh. 

He had good size, so he would have been worth a 6th or 7th round pick I guess, but I remember watching him in college and thinking he stunk. 

Just another case of the NFL falling in love with someone’s size and not their actual production. 

21 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If you go back to 08... Ryan is the only one standing with his original team.

But drafting a qb this year is a sure fire bet for the Future!!!!!!!

Go back to 2007   JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn,  2006 Vince Young, 2005 Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, 2004 Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J P Losman 

You have to go back to 2005 before hitting a QB other than Ryan - and you get Rodgers, then in 2004 - you have Roethlisberger.

It's crazy.

19 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

It's insane really.  

32 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Think of the names on that list; Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Ryan Tannehill, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III, Blaine Gabbert, Jared Goff, Matt Stafford, and more.

Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, and Matt Stafford are not like the others. They had sustained success and their teams definitely do not regret drafting them. The others...

Just now, belmont4213 said:

Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, and Matt Stafford are not like the others. They had sustained success and their teams definitely do not regret drafting them. The others...

It goes to show how important scheme, culture and environment play into the development and success of any player.  Maybe more so for QBs.  

11 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Go back to 2007   JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn,  2006 Vince Young, 2005 Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, 2004 Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J P Losman 

You have to go back to 2005 before hitting a QB other than Ryan - and you get Rodgers, then in 2004 - you have Roethlisberger.

It's crazy.

...but Matt Ryan just doesn't compare to his contemporaries; he just drags down the Falcons. :ninja:

Am I doing it right? :tiphat::wiggle:

:munch:

First of, there is a degree of luck involved with a draft pick being successful at any position, not just QB, so the "anti-QB at 4" crowd should take a look at how many position players taken in the first round during this same time period are also still with the teams that drafted them (or even in the league). 

Second, this data is a bit misleading since Andrew Luck retired prematurely.  Also, Cam Newton had a successful run in Carolina before he got banged up, and I do not think anyone would label Stafford, Goff and Wentz as complete busts. 

That said, there were some terrible QB classes (2013,2014) in which some teams really reached.  I am a proponent of the Falcons taking a QB at 4 this year if that is truly the BPA.

8 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

It goes to show how important scheme, culture and environment play into the development and success of any player.  Maybe more so for QBs.  

Or perhaps the need to have a franchise QB is so integral to winning a championship that people overvalue the "top" ones in the draft to justify taking them.

12 minutes ago, belmont4213 said:

A few of them were okay (Goff) but nothing special.

When there are only 3 QBs on that list that really moved the needle... yikes. And injuries really derailed 2 of those guys (Luck and Cam) and incompetence from their organization from another (Stafford). Still can’t believe the Lions fired Caldwell

17 minutes ago, Tandy said:

It's crazy.

Think 2006 had Leinart and Cutler too. Cutler wasn’t bad. Kind of funny that he ended up the best of that bunch 

Guess this means ppl should stop drafting qbs in the first round lol or does that logic still only apply to running backs? Or does this support the argument for ppl who think we should trade out of the 4th spot because they’re “most likely going to draft a bust because bust rate is so high early”😂😂😂😂.

I digress, however yes I’ve used this stat to point out the flaws of “(insert position here) aren’t worth first round picks” numerous times. Ppl still believe what they want. For example, if Najee helps us win 4 more games isn’t he worth a first round pick? I’d say so. If he largely impacts the way defenses scheme against us, isn’t he worth the pick regardless of what moronic messageboard or nfl columnist says it’s worth? I’m not even saying I want him I’m just making a point and he’s the example I’m using. You want players who impact the game early. Rather have him in an nfc championship game than someone who’s sitting on the bench, just ask Green Bay how that feels. They *might* have their qb of the future but they also might not, I know they wish they had another impact player on the field tho. 

I think what these examples prove is that most GMs aren’t some God-tier intelligent beings they just need a qb and convince themselves guys like Mariota are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Happens every single year and it always will. Seems like primitive thinking to me. 

1 hour ago, Farmer2 said:

Not sure what to make of this and if it applies to us at all, but this is a heck of a stat.  All first round QBs drafted from 2009-2016 are now no longer with the team that drafted them.  If anything I think we’re starting to see the breaking point of QB salaries.  They’ve gotten so high that if you don’t have a top 5 guy, is it really worth it to pay a 10-20 QB 30-35 mil/year?

Shows how hard it is to succeed. I'm sure this could be done with all positions. Some of those guys should have never been 1st round QBs. NFL has a bad case of "beer goggle" when it comes to QBs. 

Stability and consistency is desired at this position more than any other. That is why I say when you have highly rated guys that have performed, you take one if you can. Especially if in the Falcons position.