2 hours ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

I think Benkert could be a great pick up on another team and also prove that the QB market price is ridiculous.

My classic go to question... What is this based on? How do we know he isn't anything different than a Dominique Davis? 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never got the TATF love affair with Kurt Benkert... Toodles!

lol some of you are going to be soooooooooooooo disappointed come draft night and I'm here for it!

I think Benkert could be a great pick up on another team and also prove that the QB market price is ridiculous.

35 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Lol keep dreaming bud ... Fields on the wayyy

I’m not dreaming of anything; that’s a list of free agent QBs, and most of those guys are going to have to take a backup spot to remain in the NFL. Will the  Falcons a free agent QB, or will they draft someone to be a backup to Ryan; both scenarios are very risky.

3 hours ago, athell said:

lol some of you are going to be soooooooooooooo disappointed come draft night and I'm here for it!

yeah there's a lot of divisive stuff with whether we take a QB or not. I think some people are set in the fact that we need that high draft pick to help us win a lombardi in the next few years - meaning no QB picked at #4, and if we don't, we're screwed. Others believe we need to start grooming MR2's replacement now, and taking a QB at #4 this year is our best chance to do it. I mean with the right FA and draft in rds 2-7, both are possible...but I do want to build a consistent contender, so I just try and trust the new FO to do that and see where the chips fall.

2 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

yeah there's a lot of divisive stuff with whether we take a QB or not. I think some people are set in the fact that we need that high draft pick to help us win a lombardi in the next few years - meaning no QB picked at #4, and if we don't, we're screwed. Others believe we need to start grooming MR2's replacement now, and taking a QB at #4 this year is our best chance to do it. I mean with the right FA and draft in rds 2-7, both are possible...but I do want to build a consistent contender, so I just try and trust the new FO to do that and see where the chips fall.

Amen to that!

4 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

There are many options for free agent QBs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Robert Griffin III, AJ McCarron, to name a few.

They wouldn’t be back up QB if they were or still a franchise QB. Those guys would be better than Benkert. I do hope they draft a QB 2-4 or just get one of those guys as insurance policy for few games a year.

I don't really get this move unless there is some unknown circumstance.  I thought he would at least get to compete in camp.  I don't think we save any appreciable money.  Last time we saw him, he looked good but got hurt and simply has not had an opportunity to play.  I certainly support getting a QB in this draft (not high tho) but this seems like an odd release.

28 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I don't really get this move unless there is some unknown circumstance.  I thought he would at least get to compete in camp.  I don't think we save any appreciable money.  Last time we saw him, he looked good but got hurt and simply has not had an opportunity to play.  I certainly support getting a QB in this draft (not high tho) but this seems like an odd release.

I thought the same thing.  More to come I'd say.  Carpenter not being cut already is a bit odd.  Maybe they like him?

16 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I thought the same thing.  More to come I'd say.  Carpenter not being cut already is a bit odd.  Maybe they like him?

Could be a lot of things, but there is a chance the staff sees something there we as fans don't see.  The probably cut Rico and Bailey immediately to get some cap relief so they can find other teams quickly.  It's possible they'd be willing to restructure Carp as either the starter or as a backup and they're working on that to keep him and get cap space. Either way, I'd think this is a statement that Carpenter could fit into our plans but Rico and Bailey were never going to.  I didn't see Rico working out in Pees' scheme anyway.  Pees switches up coverages, not just between man and zone but between cover 2 and cover 3 (and cover 4).  Rico is a heady player, but I don't think he has the speed to do everything Pees is going to do, and even though I bet he'd take him if he didn't save us on the cap, I'd also bet that for even money he thinks he can upgrade that position for what he's trying to do. Rico will land somewhere, either as a starter on a team that needs a defensive vet or as a backup.  But I never really saw him working out here.  Bailey is similar, maybe worse.  Just made too much money for the production he brought.  He's sort of a tweener size-wise.  He isn't really going to hold up as a true 3-4 DE and he also isn't really slotted as an OLB.  So he'd only play in sub packages where the aim is to rush the passer, which he isn't very good at.  I think he was a cap casualty and not a scheme fit.

Carpenter could be a cap casualty, but he could also easily be a scheme fit if Smith wants to pound the ball a lot.  He's a solid run blocker.  But he does prefer man/power blocking, so I, like most, thought he'd be moving on.  It could also just be that the staff hasn't evaluated him enough yet and has more work to do.

I know this -- if Arthur Smith sees something he likes there, I trust him.

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Only thing that makes sense to me is that Arthur Smith has a QB they want to bring in free agency that already has familiarity with his verbiage and system to help Matt/new QB to learn faster.  With having no QB already on the roster with experience in his system and playcalls I could see that as a gap I'd want filled if I was in Smith's shoes.  I don't think it necessarily means we are taking a QB high.

That said, there may also be more to the injury he had than we know or they didn't really think he was a good player.  That said, I personally thought he looked okay during those preseason games he played, more good than bad and to me he didn't make enough mistakes to want to cut bait with him.  It would be a different situation if he stunk it up.

2 hours ago, TTU Falcon said:

Only thing that makes sense to me is that Arthur Smith has a QB they want to bring in free agency that already has familiarity with his verbiage and system to help Matt/new QB to learn faster.  With having no QB already on the roster with experience in his system and playcalls I could see that as a gap I'd want filled if I was in Smith's shoes.  I don't think it necessarily means we are taking a QB high.

That said, there may also be more to the injury he had than we know or they didn't really think he was a good player.  That said, I personally thought he looked okay during those preseason games he played, more good than bad and to me he didn't make enough mistakes to want to cut bait with him.  It would be a different situation if he stunk it up.

Great take.